Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] *EPP/Perkopolis* Price Cut! $705 ThinkCentre M75q AMD Renoir 4650GE/16GB DDR4-3200/512GB NVME

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 5:21 pm
Dec 2, 2013
393 posts
620 upvotes
I went ahead and bought both the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 and this Lenovo ThinkCentre M75q Gen 2 (OP config). As of now, I don't own neither a laptop or a desktop and I work in IT (can you imagine!). I need to make a decision as to which of the two I'll keep, when accounting all cashbacks, credits and taxes, I'll be netting $550 for the Dell and $750 for the Lenovo. The Lenovo has a better processor, double the space and the RAM. Is the $200 extra for the Lenovo worth it? The usage for these would be mainly around web browsing, dat analysis, multitasking etc. I have already bought tow ThinkVision monitors, whether going with the laptop or the desktop, I'll plug it to the two screens. Which of the two you think is superior in terms of value?
Mar 25, 2017
88 posts
106 upvotes
GTA
This (4750GE) or the M1 Mac mini. Tough decision for me
Mar 1, 2011
301 posts
574 upvotes
Fraser Valley
elideli wrote: I went ahead and bought both the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 and this Lenovo ThinkCentre M75q Gen 2 (OP config). As of now, I don't own neither a laptop or a desktop and I work in IT (can you imagine!). I need to make a decision as to which of the two I'll keep, when accounting all cashbacks, credits and taxes, I'll be netting $550 for the Dell and $750 for the Lenovo. The Lenovo has a better processor, double the space and the RAM. Is the $200 extra for the Lenovo worth it? The usage for these would be mainly around web browsing, dat analysis, multitasking etc. I have already bought tow ThinkVision monitors, whether going with the laptop or the desktop, I'll plug it to the two screens. Which of the two you think is superior in terms of value?
If you are looking strictly for a desktop, I don't think you'll do better than the Lenovo. I bought the M75q-1 3400GE a couple of months back for $699 and all I can say is I'm more than happy with the performance. They both have two slots for RAM, M.2 and SATA which is more than enough for home use and business. Lots of ports. The best thing is the lack of fan noise and it seems to have lots of thermal overhead as it runs silent unless I'm running a game. Video is good for light gaming at 1080P. It is also every tiny 1L in size which is way better than building an SFF project as its ready to go out of the box. I too work in IT and think this is a wonderfully engineered product.
Sep 16, 2015
283 posts
546 upvotes
Calgary, AB
neroses wrote: This (4750GE) or the M1 Mac mini. Tough decision for me
I'm planning to get an M1 mac mini early next year. The deciding factor for me is that I'll be able to resell the mac in 3-4 years for a decent amount to fund half (or more) of my next machine. Trying to sell a 4 year old Lenovo in a weird form factor will be like attempting to sell a Kia station wagon.
Mar 25, 2017
88 posts
106 upvotes
GTA
jaybeeg wrote: I'm planning to get an M1 mac mini early next year. The deciding factor for me is that I'll be able to resell the mac in 3-4 years for a decent amount to fund half (or more) of my next machine. Trying to sell a 4 year old Lenovo in a weird form factor will be like attempting to sell a Kia station wagon.
The resale value is a very good point. I still have a 2012 MacBook Air which is selling for $350-400. Crazy that anyone would be willing to pay that much for an 8 year old laptop
Sep 16, 2015
283 posts
546 upvotes
Calgary, AB
neroses wrote: The resale value is a very good point. I still have a 2012 MacBook Air which is selling for $350-400. Crazy that anyone would be willing to pay that much for an 8 year old laptop
Agreed. My work machine is a 2012 MacBook Pro with an i7. I swapped in an SSD last year, but apart from that it's unmodified. Battery is still good and performance is still surprisingly okay.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3326 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto
neroses wrote: The resale value is a very good point. I still have a 2012 MacBook Air which is selling for $350-400. Crazy that anyone would be willing to pay that much for an 8 year old laptop
Agreed.

The m1 is brand new and it might be the case that there will be quick improvements in that line. If so, the current m1 might depreciate quickly. On the other hand, it might be that the m1 is priced to entice and that future models will have healthier markup. I certainly don't know.

The first Intel Macs didn't support 64-bit mode. Their EFI firmware was a bit broken. So the first models sometimes have problems.
Mar 25, 2017
88 posts
106 upvotes
GTA
Hugh wrote: Agreed.

The m1 is brand new and it might be the case that there will be quick improvements in that line. If so, the current m1 might depreciate quickly. On the other hand, it might be that the m1 is priced to entice and that future models will have healthier markup. I certainly don't know.

The first Intel Macs didn't support 64-bit mode. Their EFI firmware was a bit broken. So the first models sometimes have problems.
I’m going to wait until summer of 2021 (I hope my laptop survives until then) to see how amd reacts in with zen 3 mobile chips with built in graphics (and what apple does with their 2nd version of silicon). I’m honestly rooting for amd (is there any hope for intel?). I was waiting for Lenovo to release this 1L PC with the 4750G and now that it’s here apple just stole the spotlight.
[OP]
Jul 20, 2016
832 posts
763 upvotes
Toronto
if you are ok in apple eco system the ARM powered Macs are very sweet options esp if you need the mobility of a laptop which is where these chips truly shine

but if you need a more diverse range of application compatibility, a x86 based architecture would give much more flexibility. It feels like Apple is determiend to build out the ecosystem unlike the less than half hearted attempt that msft did with the surface pro x with ARM based chip so its promising at least, not sure if serious productivity users would jump on the 1st gen products tho
Dec 2, 2013
393 posts
620 upvotes
Hank71 wrote: If you are looking strictly for a desktop, I don't think you'll do better than the Lenovo. I bought the M75q-1 3400GE a couple of months back for $699 and all I can say is I'm more than happy with the performance. They both have two slots for RAM, M.2 and SATA which is more than enough for home use and business. Lots of ports. The best thing is the lack of fan noise and it seems to have lots of thermal overhead as it runs silent unless I'm running a game. Video is good for light gaming at 1080P. It is also every tiny 1L in size which is way better than building an SFF project as its ready to go out of the box. I too work in IT and think this is a wonderfully engineered product.
Thanks, I cancelled the Inspiron order after reading their build quality being crap, I would rather pay more for something that last more, this tiny Mq75 ticks all the boxes.
Dec 2, 2013
393 posts
620 upvotes
jaybeeg wrote: I'm planning to get an M1 mac mini early next year. The deciding factor for me is that I'll be able to resell the mac in 3-4 years for a decent amount to fund half (or more) of my next machine. Trying to sell a 4 year old Lenovo in a weird form factor will be like attempting to sell a Kia station wagon.
Yes but you will pay double the price upfront for a similar Lenovo config. You are not forced to sell the Lenovo in 4 years like a MAC as you an do upgrades. With Apple you get planned obsolescence at its finest.
Sep 16, 2015
283 posts
546 upvotes
Calgary, AB
elideli wrote: Yes but you will pay double the price upfront for a similar Lenovo config. You are not forced to sell the Lenovo in 4 years like a MAC as you an do upgrades. With Apple you get planned obsolescence at its finest.
I'll buy the base $899 mac mini, which is only $100 more than this Lenovo. Will keep it for 2-3 years and hopefully sell for $600/$700.
Dec 2, 2013
393 posts
620 upvotes
jaybeeg wrote: I'll buy the base $899 mac mini, which is only $100 more than this Lenovo. Will keep it for 2-3 years and hopefully sell for $600/$700.
I don't get the relevance of this comparison, buying an underpowered system only to sell it in 2-3 years so you ca feel good about it :facepalm:
Nov 12, 2020
10 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone got shipping notification yet?
Mine was supposed to ship out on the 8th, but so far no updates.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3326 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto
I bought one yesterday when it started looking as if my Dell order would never be fulfilled. dell-dell-precision-workstation-3440-i3 ... s-2424758/

I hit a glitch: whenver I tried to buy this m75q (after adding the credit card info), I could make no progress -- I'd just return to the same screen. No diagnostic. When I looked at the URL, it seemed to be something to do with email validation error. I googled for that part of the URL and found a solution: log out. I was able to order as a guest!
[OP]
Jul 20, 2016
832 posts
763 upvotes
Toronto
ColinJ74233 wrote: Has anyone got shipping notification yet?
nope got an email last week about it's supposed to ship by the 8th, no progress so far still
Dec 22, 2007
77 posts
45 upvotes
Kingston
My order status hasn't been updated since the purchase time and the initial shipping date was December 8th. Lenovo's customer service can't provide any extra information than what's available on their order status page :/
Dec 2, 2013
393 posts
620 upvotes
ColinJ74233 wrote: Has anyone got shipping notification yet?
crimsontwo wrote: My order status hasn't been updated since the purchase time and the initial shipping date was December 8th. Lenovo's customer service can't provide any extra information than what's available on their order status page :/
Goose12345 wrote: nope got an email last week about it's supposed to ship by the 8th, no progress so far still
When you are on the order status screen, click on "Cancel Order" on the top right of the screen (don't worry, it won't cancel your order, it will take you to the cancellation request screen). On this screen (see screenshot), you'll see the actual status of your order, for example mine is saying "Released to Manufacturing" which means they are building the unit, my expected ship date was December 9th.
lenovo 1.png