• Jul 5th, 2019 2:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 26, 2005
1083 posts
506 upvotes
Winnipeg

[Lenovo Canada] Flex 14 2 in 1 Laptop - i5 8265 / 16GB RAM / 256 GB SSD ~$702

This seems like a sweet deal given the specs.

It's a 'Doorcrasher' so I'm not sure when the sale ends. I confirmed with chat that it comes with the faster 65W charger.

Price on the website is $779.99 which is equivalent to a price of $702 after 11% e-bates (assuming a 13% sales tax).
Last edited by Senk on May 27th, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3595 posts
5705 upvotes
Kitchener
hot! I hope the deal is still active tomorrow!
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 64GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Sep 4, 2015
150 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
How good of a deal is this?
If one doesn't need a new laptop right away, is it recommended to wait for Back to School Sale or Black Friday this year or is this sale comparable to what can be expected from the other ones?

How is Lenovo with shipping and returning items? No problem trying something out and then returning it?
Aug 17, 2006
506 posts
191 upvotes
Richmond, BC
NowJoJo wrote: hot! I hope the deal is still active tomorrow!
Why tomorrow?
Feb 26, 2017
612 posts
424 upvotes
MrScarface wrote: How good of a deal is this?
If one doesn't need a new laptop right away, is it recommended to wait for Back to School Sale or Black Friday this year or is this sale comparable to what can be expected from the other ones?

How is Lenovo with shipping and returning items? No problem trying something out and then returning it?
Price is good. IMO I’d either get a thinkpad with slightly lower specs or the yoga with a 1050 for a few hundred more. Either way it’s a bit more future proof with TB3 and a better gpu.
Sep 4, 2015
150 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Atillathepun wrote: Price is good. IMO I’d either get a thinkpad with slightly lower specs or the yoga with a 1050 for a few hundred more. Either way it’s a bit more future proof with TB3 and a better gpu.
Which ThinkPad? And the Yoga C930 which starts at $1250?
If so, what makes them more future proof? I don't know much, really only that more Ram is better and that a i7 is better than a i5 for example. Other than that I'm just looking for a 13-14" laptop which is as light and thin as possible and has enough power for 20 Internet tabs and maybe some Lightroom work. For which realistically my 2012 E330 with 8GB Ram and SSR is still good enough for. However it is getting old, is too heavy and a full HD display would be nice too in today's times. So really probably even the 500 dollar things from Best Buy would be good enough, I just want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck.
Banned
Jul 19, 2018
181 posts
77 upvotes
MrScarface wrote: Which ThinkPad? And the Yoga C930 which starts at $1250?
If so, what makes them more future proof? I don't know much, really only that more Ram is better and that a i7 is better than a i5 for example. Other than that I'm just looking for a 13-14" laptop which is as light and thin as possible and has enough power for 20 Internet tabs and maybe some Lightroom work. For which realistically my 2012 E330 with 8GB Ram and SSR is still good enough for. However it is getting old, is too heavy and a full HD display would be nice too in today's times. So really probably even the 500 dollar things from Best Buy would be good enough, I just want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck.

I guess thunderbolt means you can use a discrete gpu in the future assuming it's a full bandwidth port.
Feb 26, 2017
612 posts
424 upvotes
MrScarface wrote: Which ThinkPad? And the Yoga C930 which starts at $1250?
>Other than that I'm just looking for a 13-14" laptop which is as light and thin as possible and has enough power for 20 Internet tabs and maybe some Lightroom work

don't let me deter you from this. It'll do those tasks perfectly well. I'm just saying that a dedicated GPU is used more and more these days, especially if you're doing some creative stuff. I'm in the same boat as you, but there's a few thinkpad T's hovering around 1100 ish - they have TB3 which allows you to put a GPU on your desk if you want it down the road ( a big plus IMO). And you get a really well built thinkpad. I'm just saying there's not a huge price diff between this and a low end thinkpad, and if you need more SSD or RAM down the road thinkpads are easy to upgrade. But that's just my 2c , this will work for you well if 700 is your budget.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4746 upvotes
I swear this was cheaper during May long weekend. But I could be wrong or components are different.
Sep 4, 2015
150 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Atillathepun wrote: >Other than that I'm just looking for a 13-14" laptop which is as light and thin as possible and has enough power for 20 Internet tabs and maybe some Lightroom work

don't let me deter you from this. It'll do those tasks perfectly well. I'm just saying that a dedicated GPU is used more and more these days, especially if you're doing some creative stuff. I'm in the same boat as you, but there's a few thinkpad T's hovering around 1100 ish - they have TB3 which allows you to put a GPU on your desk if you want it down the road ( a big plus IMO). And you get a really well built thinkpad. I'm just saying there's not a huge price diff between this and a low end thinkpad, and if you need more SSD or RAM down the road thinkpads are easy to upgrade. But that's just my 2c , this will work for you well if 700 is your budget.
I see, thank you very much for your input, I really can't see myself really ever having a GPU on my desk, the little photo editing I do is editing .raw photos from vacation for private usage on social media for example. Besides that, I really only use the laptop for browsing and watching videos. Therefore I assume this should suffice, especially since it seems like a price I would be willing to pay.
Compared to the ASUS Zenbook 14 which is on sale for $799 at Bestbuy right now, I presume this is the better option? 8256 vs 8250, 16GB vs 8GB Ram, Touch display vs non touch.....
Or am I missing something?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2003
1091 posts
181 upvotes
this came at the right time. I was literally checking out Yoga L390 on my cart. Do they still offer 3yr warranty for $1?

Thanked.
Dec 27, 2007
21125 posts
12598 upvotes
Kitchener
dealChimp wrote: I guess thunderbolt means you can use a discrete gpu in the future assuming it's a full bandwidth port.
Yes it's a shame manufacturers still holding TB as a permium feature.
Jan 1, 2012
503 posts
114 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
All i need is ~13mm thick and ~2.6kg weight, I'll have to wait for the zenbook to go on sale
Oct 17, 2008
130 posts
297 upvotes
This seems pretty good, but I can't deal with integrated Intel graphics anymore. I feel like that time has passed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 26, 2005
1083 posts
506 upvotes
Winnipeg
The 3 year warranty was something like $62.
Jan 22, 2013
28 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
Pulled the trigger on it. If you sign up for the newsletter you get up to $100 off based on the order. I did not get the email but a quick convo with online chat and they created an quote with an additional - $50 off.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3170 posts
2044 upvotes
Langley
This is a HOTTT price.

Anyone looking for laptop should just buy this. This is an incredible deal. The only negative to this laptop is the keyboard isn't the best out there, but the price surely compensates for it.

If you're in the market for a laptop now or in the next year, I would say it would be very difficult to find a better spec'd laptop based on this form factor. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this laptop if I needed one.

Just look at the specs...
- i5 8265 (8th gen processor that can handle reg. student tasks plus other basic editing software)
- 16gb ram (at this price point, with the other associated specs, they normally would only give 8GB, the fact you get 16gb is a MAJOR bonus)
- 256GB SSD (Just look at other laptops in this price range, it would be hard to get a SSD at this price point with an i5 8265)
- 1080p touchscreen (Again, at this price point and form factor, you would typically only get a 720p screen)
- the form factor of this laptop, usually cheapo laptops at this price range, you wouldn't get this type of quality form factor. You would be looking at a chunky HP or ASUS, this form factor is another bonus.

This should be a no brainer.

Grimes wrote: This seems pretty good, but I can't deal with integrated Intel graphics anymore. I feel like that time has passed.
What type of things do you need a graphics card for?
Last edited by jellytime on May 27th, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Banned
Jul 19, 2018
181 posts
77 upvotes
Atillathepun wrote: >Other than that I'm just looking for a 13-14" laptop which is as light and thin as possible and has enough power for 20 Internet tabs and maybe some Lightroom work

What model thinkpad can you get at that price? I've been looking for something with thunderbolt + a serviceable battery.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 26, 2005
1083 posts
506 upvotes
Winnipeg
desidakuduck wrote: Pulled the trigger on it. If you sign up for the newsletter you get up to $100 off based on the order. I did not get the email but a quick convo with online chat and they created an quote with an additional - $50 off.
Did you still get e bates?