Expired Hot Deals

Lenovo Canada

Ideapad 5 14" FHD Laptop (Ryzen 5 4500u/16GB/256GB SSD/300 nits)- Teal - $609 + tax + 7% Rakuten rebate

[OP]
Nov 29, 2010
118 posts
132 upvotes
Ottawa

[Lenovo Canada] Ideapad 5 14" FHD Laptop (Ryzen 5 4500u/16GB/256GB SSD/300 nits)- Teal - $609 + tax + 7% Rakuten rebate

My first post, take it easy on me :)

Just scored what I think is a pretty amazing laptop at a fantastic price. Great screen, fantastic keyboard and trackpad, great processor. It is last years model (2020) but still a fantastic machine for this price.

Note there is a 15” version of this machine in grey with a better processor and a bigger ssd but less memory (5500u/512GB ssd/8GB ram - soldered) for $20 more! -
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/id ... 8IPS501393

Note2: some people are reporting issues getting the student discount to stack with the ecoupon and Rakuten… if this is the case, contact customer support and ask for a quote. Don’t pay for it through customer service chat, make sure you get the quote and then complete the purchase through the web site to make sure you get the rakuten rebate. Enjoy!

Computer is listed at $909 by using promo code B2SCHOOLDB7 you knock it down to $699. I used a student discount onto of this discount to knock it down further $609. I had to create an ID.me account, it requires an "active" student ID card to get or teacher certificate. Anyone in that works in a school or is a student should be able to get this additional discount.

Update: if you don’t have a student discount, you can use coupon code: IDEASALE to knock it down to $678 thanks spinner

I applied for Rakuten which is increased to 7% currently for some additional savings of $42.63 bringing the grand total after tax with Rakuten down to 699-100*1.13 = $689.13 - 42.63 = $646.50

This laptop gets great reviews:

My only grip(s) are that is has soldered on ram (darn) but it's 16GB which is plenty for my usage. Other issue is it is only 256GB storage, but it does have an additional M.2 slot (update - specs don’t show 2nd M.2 but it is there and can be used as a second ssd) as well as the primary M.2 is replaceable so no issue upgrading down the road .

It has USB-C power pass through (yay) but HDMI does support 4K 60Hz though.

Update - 4K 60Hz support According to reviewer - (ymmv) officially HDMI 1.4b which is 30hz.

Processor
AMD Ryzen™ 5 4500U Processor (2.30 GHz, up to 4.00 GHz Max Boost, 6 Cores, 6 Threads, 8 MB Cache)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64
Display Type
14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, 300 nits
Memory
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz (Soldered)
Hard Drive
256 GB PCIe SSD
Warranty
1 year Depot or Carry-in
Graphics
Integrated AMD Radeon™ Graphics
Camera
720p HD
Fingerprint Reader
Fingerprint Reader
Keyboard
Backlit - US English
Wireless
802.11AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0
Last edited by danielr85 on Aug 3rd, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.
86 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12021 posts
14464 upvotes
Toronto
danielr85 wrote: My only grip(s) are that is has soldered on ram (darn) but it's 16GB which is plenty for my usage. Other issue is it is only 256GB storage, but it does have an additional M.2 slot as well as the primary M.2 is replaceable so no issue upgrading down the road .
There is only one M.2 slot for storage. The other M.2 slot has the WLAN + Bluetooth card

Full specifications
https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/IdeaPad ... 81YM008FUS

Platform specifications
https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/IdeaPa ... wSpec=true

Hardware Maintenance Manual
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mo ... 202002.pdf
Destiny is all
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12021 posts
14464 upvotes
Toronto
danielr85 wrote: It has USB-C power pass through (yay) but no thunderbolt 3 (darn). HDMI does support 4K 60Hz though.
The HDMI 1.4b port supports up to [email protected]
The USB-C 3.2 Gen 1 port has DisplayPort (1.2) Alt Mode, supports up to [email protected]

"There is no Ryzen notebook with Thunderbolt on the market. They are expected for 2022 with the Ryzen 6000 Series."
from https://community.amd.com/t5/general-di ... d-p/430735

Intel unveils the Thunderbolt 4 spec, which AMD believes it can use on Ryzen 6000 processors
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3564374 ... n-use.html
Destiny is all
[OP]
Nov 29, 2010
118 posts
132 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the information I updated the post.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1219 posts
940 upvotes
ON
Touchscreen would have been instabuy. I need to replace an Asus 2in1 bought about 4 years ago as a media device, but nothing else ever came close to it (was $400 at that time).

Otherwise, this Lenovo looks like a good machine, and it has that 300 nits IPS screen. After owning a couple of IPS screens, I just cannot buy old tech TN or even VA screens.
Mar 25, 2015
509 posts
429 upvotes
FYI, I previously heard about experience of owning one of previous models of such laptop, be prepared:
1. Display is not great. Its acceptable tho.
2. Battery can degrade quick. Within 1 year it might jump from nominal 8+ hours to 3 hours. So, its preferable if you're ready to contact Lenovo to replace battery in worst case.
3. Certain level of defective units is present (just basic QA miss?). First laptop person received had a malfunctioning button on keyboard and stopped booting after 1 day (he did RMA)
4. Bloated out of the box Windows, so might require some cleanup or fresh reinstall for better experience.

But aside of that, the performance and specs in general are fantastic for this price.
Nov 1, 2018
231 posts
415 upvotes
Burnaby
dimon222 wrote: FYI, I previously heard about experience of owning one of previous models of such laptop, be prepared:
1. Display is not great. Its acceptable tho.
2. Battery can degrade quick. Within 1 year it might jump from nominal 8+ hours to 3 hours. So, its preferable if you're ready to contact Lenovo to replace battery in worst case.
3. Certain level of defective units is present (just basic QA miss?). First laptop person received had a malfunctioning button on keyboard and stopped booting after 1 day (he did RMA)
4. Bloated out of the box Windows, so might require some cleanup or fresh reinstall for better experience.

But aside of that, the performance and specs in general are fantastic for this price.
Do I need extended warranty to replace the battery? I tried emailing a company Lenovo was aligned with out of warranty... and it was so expensive, yikes
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5003 posts
4221 upvotes
Vancouver
This is honestly the best deal for an everyday 14" notebook in terms balance of price, quality, and performance.

Keep in mind this IdeaPad is one of the very few 14" notebooks in this price range with an aluminum top and bottom chassis. Dell Inspiron 14 has a plastic bottom. HP 14 is fully plastic.

You also get a 300 nit display, USB-C power adapter, and 56.5Whr battery. Everybody else in this price range gives you 250 nits, a barrel charger, and a smaller battery.

The only thing you could complain about this IdeaPad is AC wireless instead of AX.
Sep 2, 2014
326 posts
529 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been using this machine since May 2020. I didn't think they produced it anymore (it was very difficult to find when it was first released).

It has been perfect for my needs. Form factor is great, build quality (all aluminum) is great, keyboard is great, and everything else is more than fine. I slotted in a second SSD (note: the WD SN550 I bought was not recognized by BIOS, so after some frustrating troubleshooting I exchanged for a Samsung drive and it works fine. Not sure why).

Mine is only the 8gb variant, but I have had no issues. I use it for work via remote desktop, media consumption, and light gaming (rocket league, AOE II). I've been super impressed by the 4500U performance. No need to spend more on a laptop than this for general use in my opinion.
Aug 19, 2004
964 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if the ram is 1 stick soldered or 2 sticks soldered?

If running in single channel mode; will significantly impact gaming performance.

** never mind, the OP review mentions it's in dual channel mode (2 sticks)
Last edited by kleung21 on Aug 1st, 2021 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 1, 2018
231 posts
415 upvotes
Burnaby
Is the student discount working for anyone? It's not doing it for me in cart... Says it takes 10% off, but doesn't work..
Jan 10, 2018
357 posts
1047 upvotes
I bought one for the wife, this fits her needs perfectly. Thanks OP.
Sep 29, 2007
761 posts
118 upvotes
Wish this one had a 512 GB SSD.. Would also be nice if they had black available as well!
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12021 posts
14464 upvotes
Toronto
kleung21 wrote: Does anyone know if the ram is 1 stick soldered or 2 sticks soldered?

If running in single channel mode; will significantly impact gaming performance.
Lenovo says "dual channel"

Memory Slots
Memory soldered to systemboard, no slots, dual-channel (8GB or 16GB model)

Full specifications
https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/IdeaPad ... 81YM008FUS

Platform specifications
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4858 posts
4522 upvotes
No Bum Deals
apple777 wrote: THICC

I noticed that too. Just an anomaly at that angle. It isn’t that thick in reality
I need ammunition, not a ride.

©Zelensky 2022
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12021 posts
14464 upvotes
Toronto
duncancj wrote: I've been using this machine since May 2020. I didn't think they produced it anymore (it was very difficult to find when it was first released).

It has been perfect for my needs. Form factor is great, build quality (all aluminum) is great, keyboard is great, and everything else is more than fine. I slotted in a second SSD (note: the WD SN550 I bought was not recognized by BIOS, so after some frustrating troubleshooting I exchanged for a Samsung drive and it works fine. Not sure why).
How did you add a second SSD?
Do not see a second M.2 storage slot in the Hardware Maintenance Manual

Storage Support
One drive, up to 512GB M.2 2242 SSD or 512GB M.2 2280 SSD

Platform specifications

Hardware Maintenance Manual (page 32)
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mo ... 202002.pdf
Destiny is all

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)