Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

Legion 7 & 7i: AMD R7 5800H or Intel i7-11800H, RTX 3070, 16GB, 1TB - $1,884 (25-27% discounts + Rakuten cashback)

Nov 15, 2021
159 posts
39 upvotes
I'm having a USB c issue. I connected my external hard drive to save a system image of my computer but the computer keeps connecting and disconnecting to the external HD. Is this a common issue?
Dec 31, 2015
422 posts
69 upvotes
Mars
Device came in earlier this week loving it so far!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
Elrondolio wrote: As to VR: these Legions support HDMI 2.1 and have zero issues running VR games full bore. I use our family's Valve Index on my Legion 7 and it runs great (it is normally attached to our family room's mini PC with 3080, they both run VR games very well).
What adapter did you use to connect to the DisplayPort on the Valve Index?

I am supposed to do some VR with the laptop on Tuesday but didn't think it through and just realized I need an adapter, so I guess USB-C or Thunderbolt to DisplayPort? Hopefully the prices aren't terrible at Staples or something, Amazon might say I can get it by Tuesday but that might not happen.

Also is it easy to have the HDMI outputting the game screen to a TV so everyone else can see? I've done that with PCs before but with the USB-C and such, I don't know much about multiple monitors on laptops, haven't had a laptop in ages.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
hystavito wrote: What adapter did you use to connect to the DisplayPort on the Valve Index?

I am supposed to do some VR with the laptop on Tuesday but didn't think it through and just realized I need an adapter, so I guess USB-C or Thunderbolt to DisplayPort? Hopefully the prices aren't terrible at Staples or something, Amazon might say I can get it by Tuesday but that might not happen.

Also is it easy to have the HDMI outputting the game screen to a TV so everyone else can see? I've done that with PCs before but with the USB-C and such, I don't know much about multiple monitors on laptops, haven't had a laptop in ages.
Yes, you'll need a USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 adapter. This is the one I use with my Index (picked up on sale for under $20 if I remember correctly):

Cable Matters USB C to DisplayPort Adapter (USB C to DP Adapter) Support up to 8K (7680 x 4320) DisplayPort 1.4
https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-Dis ... B07F17ZHJY

But any similar adapter cable should work fine as well. Hopefully you can get one in time if you go the Amazon route.

I haven't used the HDMI port on these laptops as a simultaneous external display during VR but I see no reason why that wouldn't work just fine. I too use that method with my family room's VR PC with no issues. Good luck!
Last edited by Elrondolio on Mar 14th, 2022 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
chaddix7 wrote: Device came in earlier this week loving it so far!
Great to hear, congrats on the new machine. Hope it's as useful and good for you as these have been for my family. All the best!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
LostTrooper wrote: I'm having a USB c issue. I connected my external hard drive to save a system image of my computer but the computer keeps connecting and disconnecting to the external HD. Is this a common issue?
I don't have any issues on my couple Legions with external drives connected via USB-C. Hopefully a different cable might fix your issue? I use these if that helps:

Fasgear 90 degree USB-C cables with 100W PD, 10Gbps & 4K@60Hz
amazon-ca-fasgear-90-degree-usb-c-cable ... #p35787318
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
Elrondolio wrote: Yes, you'll need a USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 adapter. This is the one I use with my Index (picked up on sale for under $20 if I remember correctly):

Cable Matters USB C to DisplayPort Adapter (USB C to DP Adapter) Support up to 8K (7680 x 4320) DisplayPort 1.4
https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-Dis ... B07F17ZHJY

But any similar adapter cable should work fine as well. Hopefully you can get one in time if you go the Amazon route.

I haven't used the HDMI port on these laptops as a simultaneous external display during VR but I see no reason why that wouldn't work just fine. I too use that method with my family room's VR PC with no issues. Good luck!
Thanks, that's the one I decided to order last night thinking I should do so ASAP. Seems like all the local stores either don't have them, or they only do up to 4K which I don't think is enough for the Index. Staples, The Source, Best Buy, I think that's basically it here, we don't have stuff like Canada Computers and such.
May 23, 2011
198 posts
73 upvotes
I just wanted to thank the OP @Elrondolio . I followed this thread from the start, and tried to pull the trigger but had issues with Lenovo. Long story short, I got my Legion 7 a few days ago and have been browsing through the thread again. AMAZING thread. Thank you for the effort you put into.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
runkpocker wrote: I just wanted to thank the OP @Elrondolio . I followed this thread from the start, and tried to pull the trigger but had issues with Lenovo. Long story short, I got my Legion 7 a few days ago and have been browsing through the thread again. AMAZING thread. Thank you for the effort you put into.
You are more than welcome, I'm glad the issues you had with Lenovo were resolved, hopefully in your favour. Congrats on the new Legion... I hope it'll serve you well. All the best!
Jul 17, 2011
142 posts
135 upvotes
In case anyone else runs into problems with their laptop, you can download a program called Lenovo Diagnostics Tool. I found out about it from someone on a Lenovo forum where many others are experiencing the same issues I am with their touchpad. I used this tool and it found that my touchpad is defective.

I initiated a service ticket to get the touchpad replaced. which led to doing a remote service session with one of the Lenovo techs where they basically just updated my graphics drivers through Lenovo Vantage, and removed/reinstalled my touchpad driver. When this didn't work, he said he would have to do a factory reset to isolate the problem. At this point, I knew it wasn't a software issue so I said no, explained that it's a widespread problem that people are complaining about on their own forum, reddit, and other places, and showed him the results of the Lenovo Diagnostic Tool that showed the touchpad was defective. He insisted that a factory reset must be done before a service request could be made. This was unreasonable to me, so I refused and requested the case be escalated. He scheduled a callback from a supervisor and that was that.

A supervisor called me today, and when I explained the situation, she asked me for the result code that is generated from the Lenovo Diagnostic Tool when you run one of the tests. After giving it to her she could see right away on her end that it was defective and initiated a service ticket. I had to send photos of the laptop first to confirm there was no damage.

So, now I just have to wait for the replacement part to come and a service technician to replace it. Hopefully that will solve the issue. Will update when it's fixed.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
Anyone know promo codes or deals/ways to get a discount on extending warranties? For existing already purchased laptops, if that makes any difference. Would speaking to an agent possibly get a discount?
Nov 24, 2012
66 posts
174 upvotes
AB
runkpocker wrote: Anyone have any experience with this ram? G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4-3200 CL22-22-22 1.20V

Seems to fit the bill, mostly. Having a difficult time sourcing the Kingston or Crucial 2Rx8 sticks.

My build came with 2 8gb sticks, but not the good stuff so I'm looking to upgrade.

ram.jpg
I was actually going to ask the OP if he can recommend any other ram, as the ones in his post aren't available(?). Hopefully he'll chime in on your question.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
runkpocker wrote: Anyone have any experience with this ram? G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4-3200 CL22-22-22 1.20V

Seems to fit the bill, mostly. Having a difficult time sourcing the Kingston or Crucial 2Rx8 sticks.

My build came with 2 8gb sticks, but not the good stuff so I'm looking to upgrade.

ram.jpg
touchngo1 wrote: I was actually going to ask the OP if he can recommend any other ram, as the ones in his post aren't available(?). Hopefully he'll chime in on your question.
I haven't personally used the G.Skill F4-3200C22D-32GRS but from the looks of it it'd run fine at 1.2v @ 3200 MHz without the need of XMP profile support (which these Legion's "officially" lack). That's the good part. It looks like they have somewhat slow subtimings with TRFC(ns): at 550 and TRFC: at 880. That'd make them slower than the Kingston or Crucial kits but at least they're available for purchase right now and run at 3200 MHz, unlike other G.Skill kits (and most other SODIMM kits at 1.2v). I don't know why RAM has been so whacky lately but hopefully supply resumes again soon. Good luck!
Nov 24, 2012
66 posts
174 upvotes
AB
Elrondolio wrote: I haven't personally used the G.Skill F4-3200C22D-32GRS but from the looks of it it'd run fine at 1.2v @ 3200 MHz without the need of XMP profile support (which these Legion's "officially" lack). That's the good part. It looks like they have somewhat slow subtimings with TRFC(ns): at 550 and TRFC: at 880. That'd make them slower than the Kingston or Crucial kits but at least they're available for purchase right now and run at 3200 MHz, unlike other G.Skill kits (and most other SODIMM kits at 1.2v). I don't know why RAM has been so whacky lately but hopefully supply resumes again soon. Good luck!
Thanks for your input, so this one is not as good as the ones you've pointed out. Are there any other ones that are similar to your recommended one?
Thanks
Jan 12, 2012
562 posts
1091 upvotes
Calgary
Any suggestions for a docking station or hub for the Legion 5i?
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1592 posts
393 upvotes
Vancouver
mischievousboy wrote: In case anyone else runs into problems with their laptop, you can download a program called Lenovo Diagnostics Tool. I found out about it from someone on a Lenovo forum where many others are experiencing the same issues I am with their touchpad. I used this tool and it found that my touchpad is defective.
Is it this tool ?

https://lnv.gy/3KEdjBi
Jul 7, 2016
262 posts
685 upvotes
Peel
Any other link to get this tool? It sounds like a great idea, but I keep getting bombarded when I try to download it Disappointed But Relieved Face

TIA!