Expired Hot Deals

Lenovo Canada

Legion 7 & 7i: AMD R7 5800H or Intel i7-11800H, RTX 3070, 16GB, 1TB - $1,884 (25-27% discounts + Rakuten cashback)

Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1895 posts
2349 upvotes
TORONTO
JonR29230 wrote: This is a fantastic deal but I'm tempted to wait for the mini Led version as well. I wasn't blown away with this Legion 7s 16 color reproduction,reproduction even though it was good.

For comparison the Alienware x17, Asus s17, and m16 all had better looking screens. For this price point I expect the best and hopefully the mini Led version comes with the rumored 3080ti mobile as well. One thing I did love about the Legion 7 was the 16:10 aspect ratio and its hard going back once you've experienced it.
And wait for 12th gen mobile CPU as well?
RACISM IS THE WORST VIRUS
Mar 20, 2011
562 posts
1847 upvotes
toguy wrote: This is a great price - if I was an avid gamer I would probably pick it up/upgrade, but I'll pass. I am using a Y540 with the 2060 from a past RFD deal and it still flies for the 1-2 games I actually play...
Same. Tempted to get this Legion 7 but the y540 still handles every game I throw at it decently
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3732 posts
7791 upvotes
Rakuten has reduced its cashback at midnight to 6% but this deal is still on from Lenovo. At $1,952 this is still a very good deal for this calibre of laptop with this kind of performance. Updated the OP to reflect the reduced cashback and reiterated that the Lenovo hidden code is still active.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3732 posts
7791 upvotes
cipher wrote: I'm waiting for the mini-LED version.
JonR29230 wrote: This is a fantastic deal but I'm tempted to wait for the mini Led version as well. I wasn't blown away with this Legion 7s 16 color reproduction, even though it was good.

For comparison the Alienware x17, Asus s17, and m16 all had better looking screens. For this price point I expect the best and hopefully the mini Led version comes with the rumored 3080ti mobile as well. One thing I did love about the Legion 7 was the 16:10 aspect ratio and its hard going back once you've experienced it.
hansdoreen wrote: And wait for 12th gen mobile CPU as well?
I understand the desire to wait for release of the next hot iteration. However you'll pay a silly premium for it at near retail value. Worse, by that point, the new "next, next iteration" will be announced and you'll definitely want to wait for that next, next, next iteration. And so on.

I avoid this treadmill by purchasing laptops mid cycle when there are very good deals, keep for a max of 2 years, sell for 70-80% of my original paid for price (which sounds good for the buyer at 60% of its original retail price) then purchase the next gen after it's been out for six months at a very steep discount. Rinse, repeat. My family gets new laptops every 2 years with the latest hardware but at a fraction of the price most people pay for 1.
Dec 15, 2017
973 posts
1405 upvotes
Vancouver
Elrondolio wrote: Rakuten has reduced its cashback at midnight to 6% but this deal is still on from Lenovo. At $1,952 this is still a very good deal for this calibre of laptop with this kind of performance. Updated the OP to reflect the reduced cashback and reiterated that the Lenovo hidden code is still active.
Yeah but for people like me who doesn't have "Military/Teacher/Student/Responder/Nurse/Doctors Discount" then the cost for me is $2,060.48 pre-tax (LEGIONDEALS20 coupon + Rakuten 6% cash back). Too bad I can't stack the LEGIONDEALS20 code and a $100 off my next purchase for registering my e-mail.

EDIT:
Reference to part no: 82N6CTO1WW being customized to match the same build as part no: 82N6004QUS (temporarily unavailable). But with a QHD screen instead of WQXGA to note.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3732 posts
7791 upvotes
QuickFingers wrote: Yeah but for people like me who doesn't have "Military/Teacher/Student/Responder/Nurse/Doctors Discount" then the cost for me is $2,060.48 pre-tax (LEGIONDEALS20 coupon + Rakuten 6% cash back). Too bad I can't stack the LEGIONDEALS20 code and a $100 off my next purchase for registering my e-mail.

EDIT:
Reference to part no: 82N6CTO1WW being customized to match the same build as part no: 82N6004QUS (temporarily unavailable). But with a QHD screen instead of WQXGA to note.
I understand for sure. These usually go for $2,200 - $2,400 ish, however (retail at $2,700), so its still a deal you might consider even if you don't qualify for the extra discount. I certainly can't speak to what you consider worth it or not but I can say, having owned this laptop now for near 6 months (originally purchased in Late February and have since purchased 3 more for my family), they are absolutely the best gaming laptops I've ever owned... and I've owned a lot. Just one man's opinion, of course.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3732 posts
7791 upvotes
For those who pick up a Legion 7 (AMD or Intel), I'll post a few notes and recommendations I've come up with after owning these for about half a year.

Tip #1: Memory

You'll probably want to upgrade the memory at some point if you bought a 16GB config. Due to the worldwide part shortages, Lenovo, like most big brands at the moment, is outfitting these 16 GB models with x16 memory instead of x8. What that means is a loss of 5 to 20 percent of maximum possible framerate in some games if they were outfitted with faster x8 dual rank memory. You can verify the memory that arrives in your new laptop if you download and use ZenTimings on AMD in conjunction with HWiNFO (ZenTimings is useful but AMD only, however HWiNFO will show you all you need on both AMD and Intel based systems). Look for a tRFC timing of 560 or lower for the faster ram Lenovo ships with, higher if its the slower ram. You can find more detailed info from HWiNFO as outlined below. tCAS and other timings are important as always but not the most important aspects: x8 or x16 memory or if its single or dual rank makes a big performance difference. A single stick of memory is also slower than dual channel memory with 2 sticks of course.

HWiNFO will show you the number of bank groups (ideally 4 bank groups which represents x8 ram as 2 bank groups is much slower x16 ram on these systems):
- Number Of Bank Groups

The Refresh Cycle Time (ideally 560t or lower):
- Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC)

The minimum Refresh Recovery Time delay (ideally 350 ns or lower):
- Minimum Refresh Recovery Time Delay (tRFC1min)

If each stick is single or dual rank (ideally 2 as that's faster but 1 is ok if overclocking ram or in certain specific non-gaming tasks where latency plays an outsized role):
- Number Of Ranks

And the general timings of your pair (ideally 20 or 22, 22-22-42 with lower being faster) at 1600 MHz (3200 MHz DDR4 rate):
- Timing (tCAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)

See these pics for examples of where to look in HWiNFO:
https://imgur.com/a/oYzKuAG

So to summarize: for best performance on these Legion's you want x8 memory consisting of 4 bank groups with two dual rank 2R sticks (2Rx8), a refresh cycle time of 560t or lower, a refresh recovery time delay of 350 ns or lower and general timings of 20 or 22 tCAS, 22-22-42 tRCD-tRP-tRAS. You want sticks that run at 3200 MHz at the standard 1.2v via JEDEC and don't require XMP to achieve these timings at 1.35v or higher since these laptops don't support it.

Both the Kingston Fury KF432S20IB1K2/32 32GB kit (and KF432S20IBK2/64 64GB kit) as well as the Crucial CT2K16G4SFD832A 32GB kit fulfill these optimal speed and timings if upgrading, with the Fury kit being slightly faster thanks to it's tCAS of 20 vs 22 on the Crucial kit. Note: if choosing Kingston Fury 32GB get the kit with the 1 in it's model name (IB1K2) as that is the dual rank kit you want (2Rx8). The Fury 32GB kit missing the 1 in the model name is single rank (1Rx8). There is only one 64GB kit that is dual rank and it has no 1 in its model and is 2Rx8 (thanks Kingston, clear as mud on your model naming scheme).

Why Legion 5 Pro Underperforms Explained (How To Improve!)

The Dirty Way Manufacturers are Downgrading Your PC

Is Your RAM Slowing You Down? (Memory Ranks)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3732 posts
7791 upvotes
Tip #2: iCUE

These Legion 7 and 7i laptops come with highly configurable per-key RGB on it's keyboard and lots of other RGB along it bottom, heat vents and lid. To control this Lenovo teamed up with Corsair and uses it's iCUE software stack. This is a very good thing because iCUE can do a ton and has millions of users sharing thousands of lighting profiles. However, iCUE was designed for desktop use mainly. As a result, iCUE, even on these Laptops, ships with 4 "Corsair" services that were designed for desktop use yet are pointless on laptops... and these services use a lot of CPU cycles. Thus, when unplugged from AC, your battery life suffers quite a bit (up to 2-3 hours less battery life).

The fix for this is easy: disable the 4 "Corsair" services that only desktop users need. iCUE itself continues to run just fine but now takes virtually no battery life or CPU cycles in the background. So, when you get your laptop, make sure you upgrade to iCUE v4 and then disable the 4 Corsair services it installs. You can then continue to use iCUE (and all the different profiles you might create or download) both on and off battery as you wish. I posted a couple of iCUE profiles I use on a daily basis here if anyone with a Legion 7 or 7i is interested.

How to disable the 4 Corsair services:

Click Start menu - type "services" - look for any "Corsair" ones in the alphabetical list - right click - Properties - Startup Type - disable on all 4 of them.

--

Edit:

Since some are reporting their 7 and 7i's will soon be arriving in hand, thought I'd repost from one of my reddit threads a few of my iCUE profiles I use daily if anyone is interested in them. I use iCUE v4 and it's profiles extensively to highlight different keystroke combos and macros in different programming, media editing, etc applications as well as a few games to help me easily remember them. What follows are a few of these.

--

Here is the small zip file with these profiles I've hosted via Zippyshare:

iCUE Legion 7 Profiles.zip

Zone DayImageI use this profile for generic day or gaming use and other purposes. This is the only profile where the underlighting, heat vent lighting, rear lighting and lid lighting is enabled. I highlight the home row keys (F, J), volume and brightness keys, ESC, Del, Backspace and Enter keys, etc so they are easier to access without hunting and pecking.

Zone NightImageDimmed version of the above for night work and/or play with highlighted home row, volume and brightness, etc keys and disabled exterior lighting.

Red NightlightImageVery dim red lighting for use later at night when blue light is bad for you (as is your wife's ire when you are beside her in bed with a laptop puking rainbows all over the room) with highlighted home row, volume and brightness, etc keys and disabled exterior lighting.

White BusinessImageSlightly dimmed white lighting I use the most in professional settings with highlighted home row, volume and brightness, etc keys and disabled exterior lighting. Good for general day and night use when flashy would not be appropriate.

Notes:
iCUE is only available for use on the Legion 7, 7i, 7 Slim, etc but not the 5 or 5 Pro series, etc.

These 4 profiles are good starting points to copy then create your own derivative profiles for different apps or colour styles, moods, etc.

iCUE Profile Installation: You can import these iCUE v4 profiles by clicking the left/right arrow icon next to the "Your Profiles" list at the top left of the iCUE window.

Battery Life: iCUE's installed Corsair services are battery and CPU hogs. You can remedy this by permanently disabling the 3 or 4 "Corsair" services. iCUE v4 itself is *not* bad on battery usage as it barely uses any at all, as long as you use static color profiles and disable those 4 "Corsair" services.

How to disable the Corsair services: click Start menu - type "services" then press enter - look for ones with Corsair in the name - right click - Properties - Startup Type - disable on all 3 or 4 of them.

How to access iCUE quickly: You can access iCUE quickly from the traybar like this first image. To keep this easily accessible, see the following images.

(left click the red highlighted icon in the traybar to pop up the quick menu - double click it if you instead want to fully open iCUE)
Screenshot-2022-01-01_171357.png

(right click the red highlighted area to get the popup menu then chose taskbar settings)
Screenshot-2022-01-01_171530.png

(chose to select which icons appear on the taskbar)
Screenshot-2022-01-01_171642.png

(toggle iCUE to always be visible)
Screenshot-2022-01-01_171728.png
Last edited by Elrondolio on Jan 2nd, 2022 9:47 am, edited 9 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3732 posts
7791 upvotes
Tip #3: Lenovo Legion Toolkit

I'd suggest installing the Lenovo Legion Toolkit on new Legion 7 and 7i laptops. This very small community developed utility replaces the functionality as provided in the monolithic Lenovo Vantage app that is so important on Legion laptops. It provides the functionality to switch between Hybrid modes, toggle battery conservation mode, disable the dGPU for battery savings, etc. With this utility you can also disable Lenovo Vantage (instead of uninstalling it) so it doesn't run in the background as Vantage's services uses up quite a bit of background CPU cycles and constantly connects home to Lenovo (if that bothers you). Using the Toolkit with Vantage disabled still keeps the all important FN-Q shortcut enabled to switch between power profiles and expands this feature to allow picking any power profiles you desire for each FN-Q press. You can also easily change power profiles with the unobtrusive Power Plan Switcher from the Microsoft store if you wish as it sits in the traybar ready to click at will.

Here's a quick guide to installing and using the Lenovo Legion Toolkit:

Make sure you download Microsoft's .NET 5 runtime first (chose the middle "Run desktop apps" option then "Download x64". After it's downloaded, install it:
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/d ... .0/runtime

Then visit the Lenovo Legion Toolkit releases page and download the latest version (as of this writing, that's 1.6.2). You're looking for the latest "Lenovo.Legion.Toolkit.exe" to download. Save this file to wherever you want to run it from then on out, anywhere on your system that you desire:
https://github.com/BartoszCichecki/Leno ... t/releases
https://github.com/BartoszCichecki/LenovoLegionToolkit

There is no need to install the Toolkit... just run it. Within it's "Tools" menu you have the option to allow it to automatically run on startup and stay running in the Windows traybar in the background when minimized - I'd suggest enabling both of these features since this take very little memory and little to no CPU resources when run in the background but gives you quick and easy access to all these important Legion features. Good luck!
Last edited by Elrondolio on Feb 23rd, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3732 posts
7791 upvotes
Tip #4: Toggle processor boost modes

If you'd like to enable a feature in any power profile on your system that lets you disable the AMD boost modes on the processor you can do so following this guide here. When you disable boost modes in a specific power plan this will cool your CPU down by quite a few degrees with very little to no loss of framerate in games. Again, changing this registry entry allows you to toggle this feature on and off in each of your power plans so you chose when it is enabled and disabled easily.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3732 posts
7791 upvotes
Tip #5: Automatic Refresh Rate and Power Plan Switching

Finally, since these Legion 7 AMD laptops do not automatically switch power profiles or refresh rate when you unplug from AC you can install this script manually or use this installer I put together to automate doing so. It'll switch to 60Hz and enabled the Lenovo "Quiet" power plan when you unplug from AC, then automatically switch back to 165Hz screen refresh rate and enable the Lenovo "Balance" power plan when you plug back in. This extends your battery life by 1-2 or more hours.

2021 Legion 7 Power Switcher Setup.exe (Updated to Google Drive on 2022-06-27)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o3H-GQ ... 7_8BqTgrD9
Last edited by Elrondolio on Jun 27th, 2022 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3732 posts
7791 upvotes
Tip #6: WiFi Card

When you purchase a Lenovo Legion laptop (5, 5 Pro, 7, 7i, etc) you play the Lenovo lottery when it comes to the WiFi card they come installed with. While all of them work well enough, a few of them are sub-par and have some disconnection issues when ranging somewhat from your router or WiFi modem. The crappy cards come from MediaTek and Realtek, while the "good" cards come from Intel (the AX200 or AX201).

If you happen to lose the Lenovo lottery and receive a MediaTek or Realtek WiFi card (use HWiNFO to find out) you might consider upgrading. Your best option would be an Intel AX210 card as these have excellent drivers with excellent range, both on WiFi 5, 6 and even 6e routers and modems. These can be found fairly cheaply for around $20-30 from the likes of Amazon, MemoryExpress, etc. Just look for a decent deal on one as these are super simple to replace (I'd suggest doing so if you open up your laptop to upgrade its RAM and/or add a second NVMe drive or when doing a cleaning every 6 months or so). Here is an example from MemoryExpress:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00115330
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3732 posts
7791 upvotes
JonR29230 wrote: This is a fantastic deal but I'm tempted to wait for the mini Led version as well. I wasn't blown away with this Legion 7s 16 color reproduction, even though it was good.

I find the Legion 5 Pro, 5i Pro, 7 and 7i with its 16", 16:10, 165Hz, 500 nits 2560x1600 display the best on any gaming laptop I've personally ever owned. It is 100% sRGB and covers at least a respectable portion of Rec. 709 (and these come calibrated out of box with easy X-Rite access to each profile). What's more, these are fully MUX switch enabled displays so no issues with losing performance in games either.

Compared to the Alienware's pedestrian 1080p or too-high-resolution-for-these-RTX-cards 4k screen at only 120Hz, the Lenovo handily beats it in my opinion. The Zephyrus S17's 4K screen doesn't have a MUX switch (which is an automatic disqualification in my books for this kind of laptop) but its 1440p screen does... however it's standard 16:9 aspect ratio is much less useful for daily work and play compared to the Legion's excellent 16:10 aspect ratio (as you say... it's hard to go back once you've used 16:10). The Zephyrus m16 is the closest to the Legion 7 but I haven't test driven that one and can't say much in comparison. Overall, I think the Legion 7's screen is quite excellent for a gaming laptop... leaps and bounds above the previous gen screens on most laptops.
Aug 18, 2010
645 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Was about to pull the trigger on this last night, kinda feeling some fomo
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3325 posts
1880 upvotes
I'm still rocking my Y740 from 2019 black friday. I don't really play games much anymore on my laptop so I'm gonna creep this thread.

I think my biggest issue with the Y740 was the screen didn't get super bright which it looks like this version fixed with its 500 nits.
Nov 5, 2013
38 posts
21 upvotes
Saint John
Is it sad I am actually debating get a new desktop or laptop because the cost of GPUS are so high?
Nov 13, 2014
145 posts
102 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
tensaikan wrote: Is it sad I am actually debating get a new desktop or laptop because the cost of GPUS are so high?
For what its worth, I use my Y740 (i7 & RTX2060) as a desktop.
90% of the time, its docked to two monitors; an AW3418DW which is 3440*1440 at 120hz and a 75hz 1080p monitor. I run most games on a balance of medium/high with around 100fps. I'm considering upgrading but I don't think I can get more than $1500 on Kijiji for my laptop and the new one is around $2200 after tax. $700 is quite a bit to spend on something I don't use THAT much. Maybe I'll hold off for the 4XXX series, but I am hearing rumors they are insanely power hungry.
Aug 30, 2009
403 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP for all the efforts. I almost pull the trigger until I saw them shipped in 3+ months, bought the 5pro instead.
Any idea what’s the return policy with Lenovo online? I also want to try the 7slim as well. I’m not into heavy gaming but want the laptop to replace my desktop for photos editing, guitar recording video and audio etc..
Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6348 posts
3843 upvotes
Toronto
metallica86 wrote: Thanks OP for all the efforts. I almost pull the trigger until I saw them shipped in 3+ months, bought the 5pro instead.
Any idea what’s the return policy with Lenovo online? I also want to try the 7slim as well. I’m not into heavy gaming but want the laptop to replace my desktop for photos editing, guitar recording video and audio etc..
Cheers
I got Legion 7i gen6 ship date Nov 26. While 1 2 3+ months were posted all over when customizing it.
Mar 20, 2011
562 posts
1847 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: Tip #2: iCUE

These Legion 7 and 7i laptops come with highly configurable per-key RGB on it's keyboard and lots of other RGB along it bottom, heat vents and lid. To control this Lenovo teamed up with Corsair and uses it's iCUE software stack. This is a very good thing because iCUE can do a ton and has millions of users sharing thousands of lighting profiles. However, iCUE was designed for desktop use mainly. As a result, iCUE, even on these Laptops, ships with 4 "Corsair" services that were designed for desktop use yet are pointless on laptops... and these services use a lot of CPU cycles. Thus, when unplugged from AC, your battery life suffers quite a bit (up to 2-3 hours less battery life).

The fix for this is easy: disable the 4 "Corsair" services that only desktop users need. iCUE itself continues to run just fine but now takes virtually no battery life or CPU cycles in the background. So, when you get your laptop, make sure you upgrade to iCUE v4 and then disable the 4 Corsair services it installs. You can then continue to use iCUE (and all the different profiles you might create or download) both on and off battery as you wish. I posted a couple of iCUE profiles I use on a daily basis here if anyone with a Legion 7 or 7i is interested.

How to disable the 4 Corsair services:

Click Start menu - type "services" - look for any "Corsair" ones in the alphabetical list - right click - Properties - Startup Type - disable on all 4 of them.
Wow cool. +1 just for the detailed write up man. Really appreciate it. So I guess this is the latest update on the battery drain problem huh?
I was worried after seeing the problem described in jarrodstech review. Seemed kinda dumb to have to disable the entire program to prevent a battery drain issue that costed 2-3 hrs on a friggin laptop. Not acceptable.
So how many hours are you usually able to get doing regular web browsing on battery? What about gaming? I heard the gaming performance on battery also tanks, have you tried?
Lastly my y540 has horrible speakers. I remember they were so bad the first time I heard them while gaming I thought they were either not set up properly or I got a dud. Like zero bass at all. I fired a gunshot on gta5 and it literally sounded like pewpew.... Hope the 7 has better ones. If only they can reverse engineer the new MacBook Pro ones...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)