Expired Hot Deals

Lenovo Canada

Legion 7 & 7i: AMD R7 5800H or Intel i7-11800H, RTX 3070, 16GB, 1TB - $1,884 (25-27% discounts + Rakuten cashback)

Nov 10, 2020
97 posts
328 upvotes
AncientWords wrote: Piriform's Ccleaner is free and the go-to for registry repair, startup disable, etc, for a lot of techs.

Also look up a guide on de-cluttering Windows. You don't need the Xbox game bar running if you don't game or use another app for the same utilities anyways.
I really appreciate your input, @AncientWords, but I just wanted to highlight that CCleaner should probably not be trusted. I am familiar with it and their trojan-horse infection back in 2017, which affected millions of machines. Although that was addressed, Avast did find a second attempt to insert malware into it a couple years later. In the best-case scenario we can assume that CCleaner is still perceived as a high-value target by bad actors (likely due to the level of permissions and access CCleaner has), and should be avoided.
Apr 7, 2015
691 posts
663 upvotes
Vancouver Island
jetpackc wrote: I really appreciate your input, @AncientWords, but I just wanted to highlight that CCleaner should probably not be trusted. I am familiar with it and their trojan-horse infection back in 2017, which affected millions of machines. Although that was addressed, Avast did find a second attempt to insert malware into it a couple years later. In the best-case scenario we can assume that CCleaner is still perceived as a high-value target by bad actors (likely due to the level of permissions and access CCleaner has), and should be avoided.
Oh man, I didn't know! I've been using the same version on USB for eight years or so and haven't updated, and I haven't exactly followed news on it because it's been so reliable for so long, but I've definitely downloaded and installed new versions on other people's PCs when I didn't have my handy dandy ancient 8gb usb 2.0 drive full of utilities handy.

Thanks for the heads up! Is there an alternative?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3626 posts
7368 upvotes
jetpackc wrote: I really appreciate your input, @AncientWords, but I just wanted to highlight that CCleaner should probably not be trusted. I am familiar with it and their trojan-horse infection back in 2017, which affected millions of machines. Although that was addressed, Avast did find a second attempt to insert malware into it a couple years later. In the best-case scenario we can assume that CCleaner is still perceived as a high-value target by bad actors (likely due to the level of permissions and access CCleaner has), and should be avoided.
I agree, I'd avoid programs like CCleaner (and any other registry cleaners, registry optimizers, windows optimizer, windows tune-up programs, etc, etc - including Lenovo's own version of this). Windows runs fine by itself these days and the vast majority of users should have no need to 'optimize' it with a 3rd party utility. Truly, there is no need and it'll just cause issues down the line, almost invariably.

I do agree with @Prelude514 that O&O's Shutup is a useful tool as long as you stick to applying *only* it's "Recommended" settings. There are a lot of unintended consequences to going beyond that (and it can do a ton of things you don't realize can mess up what you want to do later). Many people will run in to weird problems they have no way of tracking down as a result if you start messing with everything that "looks good to me" in Shutup. It's standard recommended settings are useful, however, to quiet Windows reporting to Microsoft among some other settings.

I'd also suggest using Lenovo's Vantage to update your system with the latest Lenovo specific drivers, etc as it does a very good job in doing so. After that, however, I'd recommend installing the Lenovo Legion Toolkit and having it disable Lenovo Vantage as it "phones home" quite regularly for no specific reason and takes up non-minimal resources in the background... again, for no good reason (it shouldn't be doing anything when you don't need it). With the Toolkit installed you have near all of Vantage's abilities that matter but don't need to uninstall Vantage either as it can still be useful to re-enable every once in a while and check for updates, etc. There is a tip in the thread summary for Lenovo Legion Toolkit, among others, and I have another older thread for the previous Y740 Legion from a few years ago that still has some useful tips and discussion if anyone is interested. Just skip the things that are &740 specific (drivers, some upgrades, etc), of course.

Lenovo Legion Y740 / Y540 Support - Links, Guides, Upgrades and Tips
lenovo-legion-y740-y540-support-links-g ... s-2339055/
Nov 24, 2007
57 posts
73 upvotes
Montreal
Agreed, stick with recommended unless you know what you're doing!

Looks like the laptops will indeed ship tomorrow, pretty stoked! Looks like rakuten is back down to 6% though, @Elrondolio .
2021-12-14 02_00_21-Order Detail — Mozilla Firefox.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3626 posts
7368 upvotes
Prelude514 wrote: Agreed, stick with recommended unless you know what you're doing!

Looks like the laptops will indeed ship tomorrow, pretty stoked! Looks like rakuten is back down to 6% though, @Elrondolio .

2021-12-14 02_00_21-Order Detail — Mozilla Firefox.jpg
Thanks for the Rakuten heads up @Prelude514 and I am happy you are close to shipping on your order!

Updated the OP with the new Rakuten information and calculations. Verified that the custom builds are still available with 28-30% off (plus 6% Rakuten) as LEGIONDEALS20 is still active. It seems the Intel prebuilt 82K6005LUS is out of stock now but still listed so I won't remove it from the OP just yet. If anyone has any luck finding stock and successfully checking out with it now, please report here. Thanks.
Nov 28, 2021
21 posts
17 upvotes
I haven’t had a strong PC in over a decade, but does anyone else find the fan noise to pretty loud?

When playing a game last night, it sounded louder than my old PS4 (though I am sitting much closer to the laptop), but it’s still pretty loud (though quieter) even just downloading games from Steam.

Is that normal? Is there anyway to quiet it a bit?

I have a 7i, 3060, and put the laptop into Performance mode and made sure hybrid mode was off. Vantage is running (haven’t installed the toolkit yet)

Edit: I have a Razer mouse and installed Razer Cortex with it, which does some performance boosting when running games. It doesn’t boost when it’s not playing games though, so it seems like a general thing.

Edit2: performance mode seems to be part of it. Putting it into auto/balanced mode when I’m just downloading stuff seems to be better… still a fair bit louder than I was expecting though.
Last edited by Mattatsu on Dec 14th, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3626 posts
7368 upvotes
calgaryholmes wrote: Can the legion 5i Pro use 64 Gb of memory?
Yes. As a matter of fact, they can support up to 128 GB but there aren't any 64 GB sticks that'll run on this yet.
Nov 10, 2020
97 posts
328 upvotes
Mattatsu wrote: I haven’t had a strong PC in over a decade, but does anyone else find the fan noise to pretty loud?

When playing a game last night, it sounded louder than my old PS4 (though I am sitting much closer to the laptop), but it’s still pretty loud (though quieter) even just downloading games from Steam.

I have a 7i, 3060, and put the laptop into Performance mode and made sure hybrid mode was off. Vantage is running (haven’t installed the toolkit yet)

Edit: I have a Razer mouse and installed Razer Cortex with it, which does some performance boosting when running games. It doesn’t boost when it’s not playing games though, so it seems like a general thing.

Edit2: performance mode seems to be part of it. Putting it into auto/balanced mode when I’m just downloading stuff seems to be better… still a fair bit louder than I was expecting though.
I've personally always assumed that good, high-quality headphones with active noise control were a must for laptop gaming. I'm not sure if others share the same view as me, but once you've got them on, you will get better game immersion, and the noise problem will disappear.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3626 posts
7368 upvotes
Mattatsu wrote: I haven’t had a strong PC in over a decade, but does anyone else find the fan noise to pretty loud?

If you are coming from a desktop a laptop can indeed be quite surprising as laptops don't have the air that desktops do so require the fans to spin at a relatively high RPM to make up for it. Having said that, there are mitigations you can take to lower fan noise on these Legions.

- In the BIOS there is an option called Advanced Thermal Protection. If you disable this your fans will near stop running when simply browsing, etc and using very little CPU and iGPU resources.

- Use Balance (auto) mode to lower your fan speeds without much performance loss. If you want even lower fan speeds (and the resulting noise), try Quiet mode while gaming. You may lose some FPS doing so but it may be more than enough power depending on the game you are playing.

- See tip #4 in the thread summary to learn about and how to toggle Processor Boost Modes. You can set specific power profiles to dramatically lower CPU & GPU temperatures, and thus fan speeds and noise, with very little performance loss. You'd only want to enable this on the Balance power mode or a copy of it specific for this need.

- Raise the rear of your laptop an inch or two while gaming (small block of wood, kickstand, a simple laptop riser, etc). This can lower your temperatures a good amount as well thanks to the increased air flow intake beneath the laptop. As you can guess, this lowers the fan speeds and thus the noise somewhat as well.

There are other mitigation strategies but you get the idea (youtube will surface a lot of ideas as will the Unofficial Legion Discord and other forums). In the end, a laptop is always going to run louder than a big 'ol tower PC as the airflow differences are dramatic. Its a wonder at all that laptops these days have such advanced cooling that they allow these CPUs and GPUs to run as competently as they do considering the airflow challenges. It takes a lot of fan RPMs to hit a consistent 60+ fps with maxed out settings in the latest and greatest game titles on the market.

Good luck!
Last edited by Elrondolio on Dec 14th, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 28, 2021
21 posts
17 upvotes
jetpackc wrote: I've personally always assumed that good, high-quality headphones with active noise control were a must for laptop gaming. I'm not sure if others share the same view as me, but once you've got them on, you will get better game immersion, and the noise problem will disappear.
Sounds good, but my wife may not be a fan (ba-dum-dum)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3626 posts
7368 upvotes
Mattatsu wrote: @Elrondolio , thanks again for the awesome tips
You're more than welcome. I hope you (well, mainly your wife!) will get used to the sound of your new gaming rig soon or, as @jetpackc helpfully points out, you get a nice pair of headphones for you (or her... or both!). Hopefully some of these mitigations will help your wife become, wait for it... a fan of your new laptop (cha-ching). ;) Good luck!
Aug 30, 2009
403 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Elrondolio wrote: Tip #5: Automatic Refresh Rate and Power Plan Switching

Finally, since these Legion 7 AMD laptops do not automatically switch power profiles or refresh rate when you unplug from AC you can install this script manually or use this installer I put together to automate doing so. It'll switch to 60Hz and enabled the Lenovo "Quiet" power plan when you unplug from AC, then automatically switch back to 165Hz screen refresh rate and enable the Lenovo "Balance" power plan when you plug back in. This extends your battery life by 1-2 or more hours.
Thanks OP, when I tried to install got popup from Windows defender security, is it safe tools to install?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3626 posts
7368 upvotes
metallica86 wrote: Thanks OP, when I tried to install got popup from Windows defender security, is it safe tools to install?
Yes, I guarantee it is safe as I built it. The reason for the popup is I don't have a registered signing certificate to build against as they cost money I didn't want to spend for this one little utility.

Those defender popups can be a bit disarming so here is the build script for this installer I made in Inno. This shows exactly what this installer will do. It automate the somewhat involved steps you'd have to manually take as listed in the pastebin source published by /u/scrawlpace from reddit at https://pastebin.com/xuHUUUTT.
; Script generated by the Inno Setup Script Wizard.
; SEE THE DOCUMENTATION FOR DETAILS ON CREATING INNO SETUP SCRIPT FILES!

#define MyAppName "Legion 7 Power Optimizations"
#define MyAppVersion "1.0"
#define MyAppPublisher "scrawlpace"
#define MyAppURL "https://pastebin.com/xuHUUUTT"

[Setup]
; NOTE: The value of AppId uniquely identifies this application. Do not use the same AppId value in installers for other applications.
; (To generate a new GUID, click Tools | Generate GUID inside the IDE.)
AppId={{REMOVED}
AppName={#MyAppName}
;AppVersion={#MyAppVersion}
;AppVerName={#MyAppName} {#MyAppVersion}
AppVerName={#MyAppName}
AppPublisher={#MyAppPublisher}
AppPublisherURL={#MyAppURL}
AppSupportURL={#MyAppURL}
AppUpdatesURL={#MyAppURL}
DefaultDirName={sd}\System\Legion-power
DefaultGroupName=Legion 7 Power Optimization
DisableProgramGroupPage=yes
InfoBeforeFile=C:\System\Legion-Power-Setup\legion-power.txt
; Uncomment the following line to run in non administrative install mode (install for current user only.)
;PrivilegesRequired=lowest
OutputDir=C:\System\Legion-Power-Setup\Setup
OutputBaseFilename=Legion 7 Power Optimizations
Compression=lzma
SolidCompression=yes
WizardStyle=modern

[Languages]
Name: "english"; MessagesFile: "compiler:Default.isl"

[Files]
Source: "C:\System\Legion-Power-Setup\legion-power.vbs"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
Source: "C:\System\Legion-Power-Setup\legion-power.bat"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
Source: "C:\System\Legion-Power-Setup\legion-power.txt"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
Source: "C:\System\Legion-Power-Setup\legion-power.xml"; DestDir: "{app}"; AfterInstall: WritePathToXML; Flags: ignoreversion
; NOTE: Don't use "Flags: ignoreversion" on any shared system files

; These files will be downloaded
Source: "{tmp}\ChangeScreenResolution.exe"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: external

[Run]
Filename: "{sys}\schtasks.exe"; Parameters: "/Create /TN ""Legion Power"" /XML ""{app}/legion-power.xml"""; Description: "Create Windows Scheduled Task"; StatusMsg: "Creating Windows task when AC is plugged/unplugged..."; Flags: runascurrentuser

[UninstallRun]
Filename: "{sys}\schtasks.exe"; Parameters: "/Delete /TN ""Legion Power"" /F"; StatusMsg: "Removing the Windows task Legion Power..."; RunOnceId: "LegionPower"; Flags: runascurrentuser

Code: Select all

var
  DownloadPage: TDownloadWizardPage;

function OnDownloadProgress(const Url, FileName: String; const Progress, ProgressMax: Int64): Boolean;
begin
  if Progress = ProgressMax then
    Log(Format('Successfully downloaded file to {tmp}: %s', [FileName]));
  Result := True;
end;

procedure InitializeWizard;
begin
  DownloadPage := CreateDownloadPage(SetupMessage(msgWizardPreparing), SetupMessage(msgPreparingDesc), @OnDownloadProgress);
end;

function NextButtonClick(CurPageID: Integer): Boolean;
begin
  if CurPageID = wpReady then begin
    DownloadPage.Clear;
    DownloadPage.Add('https://tools.taubenkorb.at/change-screen-resolution/ChangeScreenResolution.exe', 'ChangeScreenResolution.exe', '');
    DownloadPage.Show;
    try
      try
        DownloadPage.Download; // This downloads the files to {tmp}
      except
        if DownloadPage.AbortedByUser then
          Log('Aborted by user.')
        else
          SuppressibleMsgBox(AddPeriod(GetExceptionMessage), mbCriticalError, MB_OK, IDOK);
        Result := False;
      end;
    finally
      DownloadPage.Hide;
    end;
  end else
end;

procedure WritePathToXML;
var
  Path, PathFile, UnicodeStr: string;
  FileData: AnsiString;
begin
  Path := ExpandConstant('{app}');
  PathFile := Path + '\legion-power.xml';
  LoadStringFromFile(PathFile, FileData);
  UnicodeStr := FileData;
  StringChangeEx(UnicodeStr, 'INSTALLPATH', Path, True);
  FileData := UnicodeStr;
  SaveStringToFile(PathFile, FileData, False);
end;
[/quote]
Jan 20, 2006
842 posts
162 upvotes
Montreal
so i finally pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a Legion 7i/1TB/16GB/3060/Xbox game pass pre-built model. I made this decision mainly due to the pricing, availability and a 10 sec wisdom from my wife...
1. The price: I followed this thread for a few weeks now. I lost hope pretty much because I realized that i couldn't buy this laptop with the additional discount from ID.ME.. I then saw @metallica86's post about his experience dealing with a rep in Lenovo directly with similar discount. I pmed him and he was able to help... Damn, I was able to get a a very decent price quoted by Lenovo rep and also Rakuten 10% discount at the same time yesterday! Here is the breakdown:
MSRP: 2569
Rep Discount: 899
Price before taxes: 1670
Price after taxes and Rakuten ($167)=$1761.93
getting 3070 is around 190 ish and it needs to be in stock and pre-built or the rep discount won''t work. Therefore, a huge YMMV scoring a 3070 pre built model and on time for the rep to give you the discount.
A huge shout out to @metallica68 for helping :)

2. I am such an impatient person especially over the holidays lol... i am sure that i am not alone
3. I know i said before that I wanted a 7i with 3070 because i can game on this laptop (sorry @Elrondolio ). Well, my wife was laughing when i was trying to justify the price differences between 3060 and 3070... she said that I said the exact same thing 6-7 years ago when I spec my XPS 15 with gtx960m... well, i guess she is right....
Last edited by ymlccc on Dec 14th, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3626 posts
7368 upvotes
ymlccc wrote: so i finally pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a Legion 7i/1TB/16GB/3060/Xbox game pass pre-built model. I made this decision mainly due to the pricing, availability and a 10 sec wisdom from my wife...
1. The price: I followed this thread for a few weeks now. I lost hope pretty much because I realized that i couldn't buy this laptop with the additional discount from ID.ME.. I then saw @metallica86's post about his experience dealing with a rep in Lenovo directly with similar discount. I pmed him and he was able to help... Damn, I was able to get a a very decent price quoted by Lenovo rep and also Rakuten 10% discount at the same time yesterday! Here is the breakdown:
MSRP: 2569
Rep Discount: 899
Price before taxes: 1670
Price after taxes and Rakuten ($167)=$1761.93
getting 3070 is around 190 ish and it needs to be in stock and pre-built or the rep discount won''t work. Therefore, a huge YMMV scoring a 3070 pre built model and on time for the rep to give you the discount.
A huge shout out to @metallica68 for the reference :)

2. I am such an impatient person especially over the holidays lol... i am sure that i am not alone
3. I know i said before that I wanted a 7i with 3070 because i can game on this laptop (sorry @Elrondolio ). Well, my wife was laughing when i was trying to justify the price differences between 3060 and 3070... she said that I said the exact same thing 6-7 years ago when I spec my XPS 15 with gtx960m... well, i guess she is be right....
I have no doubt the 3060 build will serve you (and your wife!) well for everything you want to play and do on that new Legion. It is no slouch, that's for sure. Congrats and I hope you get it soon. All the best!
Feb 28, 2014
11 posts
3 upvotes
Question about the shipping, which carrier do they use? And do they just drop the package off at the door or require signature to accept?

Just worried about porch pirates.
Nov 28, 2021
21 posts
17 upvotes
headphones wrote: Question about the shipping, which carrier do they use? And do they just drop the package off at the door or require signature to accept?

UPS and yes, they require a signature… well, the say that. I didn’t actually sign, but the guy waited for me to answer the door and provide my name before giving it to me. I’m sure if I hadn’t answered the door, it would have went back to the facility
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6302 posts
3801 upvotes
Toronto
headphones wrote: Question about the shipping, which carrier do they use? And do they just drop the package off at the door or require signature to accept?

They use UPS. If signature is required, UPS is usually good about it if no one's home and will come back the next day.

Amazon is notorious for dropping package off at the door and taking photos. Few even steals it for themselves after delivery.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)