Expired Hot Deals

Lenovo Canada

Legion 7 AMD - Rakuten 13% (build your own Legion 7 3070 for $1,752.17)

Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2039 posts
1644 upvotes
Pratzy wrote: can you please clarify how you remote into it? and is it possible to do this while being far off, i.e. in another city while the legion is at home?
Yes you can do this. Here is my setup

Within my home
Laptop in basement, You install moonlight (https://moonlight-stream.org/) on to your client so your ipad, mac, win machine, Apple TV, fire stick whatever you want to use.
On your Legion go in the steam settings and enable steam link

When you fire up moonlight on any client in the house it should auto detect the legion laptop else you can use the IP address.
Then you play and enjoy. It’s really effortless

When you are remote (anywhere in the world), I use a VPN to remote into my house that i setup using PiVPN and follow the instructions above. A little lag but it doesnt bother me at all.

Hope this helps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1957 posts
1409 upvotes
Calgary
ASLR23 wrote: Why do people exclude taxes? You pay them, every. single. time.
because tax varies based on your province...
I'm not going to calculate tax for every province. That's silly.
I litterally said +Tax in the original post. That's as much as I can do.
but if you want I can include alberta tax since that's so helpful for you... (sarcasm)
Jun 28, 2020
299 posts
231 upvotes
Lenovo properganda
All the way from +62
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3781 posts
8020 upvotes
ASLR23 wrote: Honest question. Why do people game on laptops? Desktop kills it 10/10 and no thermal heat to deal with, +much bigger monitors.
Using a lapdesk with extendable mouse tray you can game absolutely anywhere using a laptop. Being tied down to a desk and chair in one specific space is far too restricting for my lifestyle (I do have separate multi-monitor desktop PCs in my home office for work and some gaming and a family room setup for VR use but mainly use my laptop for most gaming these days). I most often game sitting in my extremely comfortable recliner, half reclined, or even in bed at times. I also take my gaming laptop on the road for medium to long trips (you certainly can't do that with a PC). Being able to Parsec/Moonlight to any large, high quality TV screen in the house while having the laptop beside you is another benefit.

Desktops by no means kill a laptop 10/10 these days... At native 1440p or 1600p a well configured Legion laptop is just as capable as any desktop, running minimum 60fps on maxed settings (165 fps on esports titles) with 1% lows well north of 50 fps in near all situations. Very, very little compromise needs to be made these days on laptops compared to PCs... which is amazing how far they've come compared to just a few short years ago. While noise is certainly higher on these compared to PCs, that too is far less than it used to be and heat is very well contained these days with no throttling on a good Legion.

Just my perspective.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3781 posts
8020 upvotes
ASLR23 wrote: Why do people exclude taxes? You pay them, every. single. time.
Because RFD is national (and international) and Canada has 13 different provinces and territories with 13 different tax rates, of course. The postings would be ridiculous with all the different tax calculations for all Canadians or inaccurate if people only posted all in numbers for where you live. For many products you don't even need to pay provincial taxes in those provinces that haven't harmonized their tax rates (the current WD Gold drives on sale being a prime example where Ontarioians pay the full 13% tax while BCers only have to pay the 5% GST, etc).

It can't be that hard figuring out your own taxes where you live, right?

Screenshot-2022-02-08_103852.png
Mar 20, 2011
579 posts
1915 upvotes
I got the Legion 7 with rtx 3070 from the November deal. Great laptop and great build quality.
Few things to note:
- system will come with Windows 11 home (unless you upgrade to Windows 11 pro, there's no option for free downgrade back to Windows 10) I personally tried to get used to Windows 11 but ended up really needing 10 back cause I wasn't used to some of the new layouts

-in the other thread, there are detailed posts on what software to use to back up and reinstall fresh version of Windows 10. WARNING though - after I did fresh Windows 10 install, I kept having blue screen of death with video_scheduler_internal_error message. Constant crashes. After a long time I realize that with a fresh install, and fresh install of Lenovo Vantage program, by default the hybrid mode (Lenovo's version of Nvidia Optimus) is OFF. And thus the OS only detects the dedicated GPU without realizing there's even an integrated graphics. This has been what's causing the crashes. Make sure to enable hybrid mode so that the integrated GPU kicks in and is detected by the OS. Then install latest Nvidia drivers and then all my problems disappeared. You can turn hybrid mode back off afterwards if you choose to not use the integrated graphics. But you need to make sure the driver for it gets properly installed.

-realized that there's an ongoing issue with the keyboard RGB. By default no matter what you do, the system will boot and shutdown with a rainbow spiral RGB effect. This is even if you use iCUE to customize your keyboard lighting pattern after Windows loads. Thus this system isn't great if you need it for a professional manner since you'll be vomiting rainbow RGB at least during the 30 seconds during boot up.

-otherwise gaming performance has been great. Can even run VR sim racing with decent frames even though there's some reprojections needed

Overall a good buy for the looking for a powerful non professional gaming laptop
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3781 posts
8020 upvotes
chun_man17 wrote: I got the Legion 7 with rtx 3070 from the November deal. Great laptop and great build quality.
Few things to note:
- system will come with Windows 11 home (unless you upgrade to Windows 11 pro, there's no option for free downgrade back to Windows 10) I personally tried to get used to Windows 11 but ended up really needing 10 back cause I wasn't used to some of the new layouts

-in the other thread, there are detailed posts on what software to use to back up and reinstall fresh version of Windows 10. WARNING though - after I did fresh Windows 10 install, I kept having blue screen of death with video_scheduler_internal_error message. Constant crashes. After a long time I realize that with a fresh install, and fresh install of Lenovo Vantage program, by default the hybrid mode (Lenovo's version of Nvidia Optimus) is OFF. And thus the OS only detects the dedicated GPU without realizing there's even an integrated graphics. This has been what's causing the crashes. Make sure to enable hybrid mode so that the integrated GPU kicks in and is detected by the OS. Then install latest Nvidia drivers and then all my problems disappeared. You can turn hybrid mode back off afterwards if you choose to not use the integrated graphics. But you need to make sure the driver for it gets properly installed.

-realized that there's an ongoing issue with the keyboard RGB. By default no matter what you do, the system will boot and shutdown with a rainbow spiral RGB effect. This is even if you use iCUE to customize your keyboard lighting pattern after Windows loads. Thus this system isn't great if you need it for a professional manner since you'll be vomiting rainbow RGB at least during the 30 seconds during boot up.

-otherwise gaming performance has been great. Can even run VR sim racing with decent frames even though there's some reprojections needed

Overall a good buy for the looking for a powerful non professional gaming laptop
Hey @chun_man17: in regard to you hating the rainbow spiral on boot, there is a way around that where you can avoid it. See this thread from reddit user u/scrawlpace:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LenovoLegion/c ... bow_swirl/

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
1010 posts
2361 upvotes
chun_man17 wrote: I got the Legion 7 with rtx 3070 from the November deal. Great laptop and great build quality.
Few things to note:

Does it throttle on high load? I have an Alienware on its last leg, and it throttles a lot due to insufficient cooling. I wonder if this is a better replacement than a Dell PC.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3781 posts
8020 upvotes
dcxx wrote: Does it throttle on high load? I have an Alienware on its last leg, and it throttles a lot due to insufficient cooling. I wonder if this is a better replacement than a Dell PC.
I'll jump in and say unequivocally:

No.

The vapour chamber cooling on these Legion's are top notch and heat is extremely well controlled. There is zero throttling on these units under near any circumstance.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3781 posts
8020 upvotes
For anyone interested in delving deeper, I posted a link in the thread summary to the previous Legion thread. There are tons of tips, tricks and discussion (over 114 pages) in that thread that could be of some value to those in the market or getting their Legion soon. Not posting this to derail this thread in any way... simply as an expired but pertinent resource to tap in to if desired.

lenovo-canada-legion-7-7i-amd-r7-5800h- ... k-2501901/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1957 posts
1409 upvotes
Calgary
dcxx wrote: Does it throttle on high load? I have an Alienware on its last leg, and it throttles a lot due to insufficient cooling. I wonder if this is a better replacement than a Dell PC.
No. Not at all.
thanks to the vapor chamber displacing heat the machine is very cold.
the bottom stays reletively cool compared to the heat felt out the vents.
Probably the best cooled laptop I've ever had and I used to have those huge Asus G73/G55 laptops with the worlds largest vents on the back.

If the alienware from dell has vapor chamber it might compare... but I don't think Alienware has it? Anyone know?
Short answer is this Lenovo is very high quality and likely better than Dell. Not the other way around.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3781 posts
8020 upvotes
Suthek wrote: No. Not at all.
thanks to the vapor chamber displacing heat the machine is very cold.
the bottom stays reletively cool compared to the heat felt out the vents.
Probably the best cooled laptop I've ever had and I used to have those huge Asus G73/G55 laptops with the worlds largest vents on the back.

If the alienware from dell has vapor chamber it might compare... but I don't think Alienware has it? Anyone know?
Short answer is this Lenovo is very high quality and likely better than Dell. Not the other way around.
Dell's gaming laptops, Alien's in particular, have been extremely hit or miss (mostly miss) when it comes to cooling and throttling over the past 4-5 years. This continues to be the case, such as the m15, etc. While there have been some few Alienware laptops that have not throttled, they are few and far between. I'd personally stick with Legion or other brands until Dell gets this figured out, some day.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1957 posts
1409 upvotes
Calgary
Elrondolio wrote: yada yada yada and other insightful stuff I say
I was wondering if I'd see you around. I was surprised I managed to get this posted before you. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3781 posts
8020 upvotes
Suthek wrote: I was wondering if I'd see you around. I was surprised I managed to get this posted before you. :)
yada yada yada and other insightful stuff I say
lol!

I'm glad you did as keeping up with that previous thread was an absolute chore since it lasted for near 2 months, way longer than I expected it to. All the best!
Jul 24, 2019
83 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
chuckdeg wrote: how good are these prebuilt?
Bad, take at least a 3-year warranty and don't look at good reviews, they are most likely fake. GPU's burn out fast if you play games at least 3-4 hours a day, overheating, motherboard issues. Be ready for poor warranty service.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3781 posts
8020 upvotes
TimurT488 wrote: Bad, take at least a 3-year warranty and don't look at good reviews, they are most likely fake. GPU's burn out fast if you play games at least 3-4 hours a day, overheating, motherboard issues. Be ready for poor warranty service.
What? That's silly.
Jul 24, 2019
83 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Elrondolio wrote: What? That's silly.
I have bricked Legion, took 1-year warranty (my bad). GPU burned out. after 1year and 1 month. I know how to look after a laptop clean dust every week and etc...spend lots of time on Legion FB private group and found tons of people with the same problem. The fix is to change the motherboard which only part costs $1350 + labour, almost the same price as new. So I decided to skew it, I'm not going to invest any money in this crap. Waited for a good deal on Alienware and am now very happy for 2 years no problem at all. Runs nice and smooth.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2039 posts
1644 upvotes
ASLR23 wrote: Honest question. Why do people game on laptops? Desktop kills it 10/10 and no thermal heat to deal with, +much bigger monitors.
It’s a good question but I have the opposite. In 2022 I don’t know why people would invest in large desktops without portability in mind. All my computers at home (95% are MacBook pros and I have 5 of them between my family) are laptops and I can perform extremely powerful computations on them without issue. Mine in particular is attached to an egpu for hard core computations but most of the time it’s nice to disconnect and walk around with it or take it anywhere.

I thought desktops would have been phased out by now lol. I don’t think I’d ever invest in one now that I know how powerful these windows and mac laptops really are
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3781 posts
8020 upvotes
TimurT488 wrote: I have bricked Legion, took 1-year warranty (my bad). GPU burned out. after 1year and 1 month. I know how to look after a laptop clean dust every week and etc...spend lots of time on Legion FB private group and found tons of people with the same problem. The fix is to change the motherboard which only part costs $1350 + labour, almost the same price as new. So I decided to skew it, I'm not going to invest any money in this crap. Waited for a good deal on Alienware and am now very happy for 2 years no problem at all. Runs nice and smooth.
Sorry to hear you had a lemon and went through that. Sucks when something breaks and you struggle out of warranty.

Having said that: you are in an extremely limited and tiny pool of people who have ever had that kind of issue with a gaming laptop's GPU or CPU, out of the, literally, millions of units sold every year. You ball parking and telling others that "GPU's burn out fast if you play games at least 3-4 hours a day, overheating, motherboard issues" like it's some general rule of gaming on a laptop is indeed, just silly. I and my family have owned somewhere in the range of 150 laptops over the past 30 years and never, not once, have I had a "GPU burn out" due to "over-gaming". I've had warranty work done on some of these laptops over the years and have performed a few motherboard replacements out of warranty as well. But to say that laptops are any more susceptible to hardware failure than a desktop PC or other brands (which are usually pushed far harder in the long run with liquid cooling, etc) is an absolute misnomer. Lenovo's Legion Ultimate next day on-site warranty coverage is excellent in most circumstances to boot.

Dell and Alienware's are hardly the bastion of good hardware when it comes to heat issues, throttling, warranty support, etc. I'm glad you are happy with your setup and more power to you... but to say Legion's are worse than Alienware's is just... well, again, silly. I've been in this industry in some shape or form for many years and that simply isn't the case.
Apr 21, 2012
761 posts
940 upvotes
Ontario
teeceecee wrote: Still love my legion 5 4800H+2060. I’d go with another legion without hesitation if I would be throwing this one away. 12hr a day for over a year. No hiccups.
I have a Y540 i7-9750 with 2060 and still love it. Pretty much the first laptop with the same design esthetic. I'd also upgrade to the same product line.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)