Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo 500 FHD Webcam with Windows Hello ($101 - $49 off - 9% Rakuten = $47.32)

[OP]
Newbie
Feb 26, 2021
32 posts
164 upvotes

[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo 500 FHD Webcam with Windows Hello ($101 - $49 off - 9% Rakuten = $47.32)

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/perkopolis ... 4XC0V13599
Password: Perkp0p0l1$

1080p at 30fps.
Supports Windows Hello
USB C to A
Built in shutter
FYI, no microphone.
54 replies
Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2017
393 posts
578 upvotes
Is there a cheaper windows hello webcam? I'm kinda fine grabbing it at this price just for hello. Does anyone know how well these work in low light just for hello? I get it'll be garbage in low light, but don't know how hello works.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1403 posts
335 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Who in their right mind design a webcam w/out a mic?
Newbie
Feb 28, 2021
50 posts
73 upvotes
They have another 1080p webcam with sterio microphone. I have it, its cheaper and its great
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1024 posts
1787 upvotes
Focus wrote: Who in their right mind design a webcam w/out a mic?
Asking the important questions...answer is an imbecile
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5165 posts
2108 upvotes
Serviceable camera. I have one. It's a wide angle lens which is just weird for zoom calls. Quality doesn't seem like 1080p.

But at $50, you could do worse.
Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2017
393 posts
578 upvotes
UWOD2020 wrote: Asking the important questions...answer is an imbecile
I am certain their is a market for people that want a webcam without any security exploitable flaws like having a non hardware shutoff-able mic. I love that my actual mic has a mute button, I don't know how many webcams have hardware mute buttons for their mics.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3563 posts
1657 upvotes
Ottawa
EmpressLisaSu wrote: Perfect for my mother in law
Lol. So you don't have to listen to her talk?
Member
Jun 7, 2013
308 posts
263 upvotes
Mascouche
Yup, be warned, this thing does not have a microphone, learned it the hard way. Also, quality of the image is quite average ar best. Competitors are creating far better devices, our other, MS webcam has better picture quality and has a microphone. This thing does not worth the regular price !
Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2011
606 posts
517 upvotes
Toronto
LENOVO = SCAM
i will never buy anything from them.
this is 5th time website for perkopolis says Lenovo 300 FHD with coupon is $42.29 and when you try to check out ...its not working and Chat box says sorry we don't know how to help you.

I help myself, told them Good Bye.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
15480 posts
6938 upvotes
Ottawa
I have this and it works fine for work at home. If you actually work at home, do yourself and favour and use a separate mic.

I can always tell when people are using the crappy webcam mic on video calls. They are mostly pretty bad. Even one of those inexpensive Fifine mics with a $20 boom arm makes a huge difference.

The problem is distance, if your webcam is doing video, you have to be far enough back from the camera, but then you are not close to the mic. Any mic that is closer to your mouth will sound more clear and less echoey (headset mic, or separate dedicated mic placed closer to your mouth)
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1024 posts
1787 upvotes
ryokoseigo wrote: I am certain their is a market for people that want a webcam without any security exploitable flaws like having a non hardware shutoff-able mic. I love that my actual mic has a mute button, I don't know how many webcams have hardware mute buttons for their mics.
That sounds like the same logic as people who had cars with crank windows, one less thing to break! The answer is to have webcams that all have mute buttons, not the backwards noninnovative logic of removing all mics to cut cost, such is lenovo as a company
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19665 posts
5752 upvotes
Toronto
UWOD2020 wrote: That sounds like the same logic as people who had cars with crank windows, one less thing to break! The answer is to have webcams that all have mute buttons, not the backwards noninnovative logic of removing all mics to cut cost, such is lenovo as a company
High end cameras may not have mics. They assume you'll buy a high end mic to go along with it. The problem here though is that the Lenovo web cams are not high end. They're lower mid-range.

yorkhvac wrote: LENOVO = SCAM
i will never buy anything from them.
this is 5th time website for perkopolis says Lenovo 300 FHD with coupon is $42.29 and when you try to check out ...its not working and Chat box says sorry we don't know how to help you.

I help myself, told them Good Bye.
I bought the Essential FHD webcam which appears to be same as the Lenovo 300 FHD (with stereo microphones) but in black. Back in October 2020 I paid $37.79 plus tax for it, free shipping. No third party discount site involved; it was straight from Lenovo.

I don't think it's great. Compared to webcams overall, it's reasonable but not great. Quality is lower mid-range, with perceived quality lower than the claimed 1080p FHD. Colour in natural light is decent, but is off somewhat in artificial light. And it's wide angle which is a bit odd for Zoom. But for $37.79, or $42.70 including Ontario HST, I have no complaints. Good deal for the price.

warpdrive wrote: I have this and it works fine for work at home. If you actually work at home, do yourself and favour and use a separate mic.

I can always tell when people are using the crappy webcam mic on video calls. They are mostly pretty bad. Even one of those inexpensive Fifine mics with a $20 boom arm makes a huge difference.

The problem is distance, if your webcam is doing video, you have to be far enough back from the camera, but then you are not close to the mic. Any mic that is closer to your mouth will sound more clear and less echoey (headset mic, or separate dedicated mic placed closer to your mouth)
Good point. I have a Rode mic for my dSLR but I can use it for this purpose. Mind you for Zoom, most of the time I don't care. And most of the time I just use my iPad anyway.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3099 posts
1998 upvotes
Montreal
ryokoseigo wrote: Is there a cheaper windows hello webcam? I'm kinda fine grabbing it at this price just for hello. Does anyone know how well these work in low light just for hello? I get it'll be garbage in low light, but don't know how hello works.
Windows hello will work fine in low light or no light at all in my experience. It will struggle if you have too much light behind you.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19665 posts
5752 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: I have this and it works fine for work at home. If you actually work at home, do yourself and favour and use a separate mic.

I can always tell when people are using the crappy webcam mic on video calls. They are mostly pretty bad. Even one of those inexpensive Fifine mics with a $20 boom arm makes a huge difference.

The problem is distance, if your webcam is doing video, you have to be far enough back from the camera, but then you are not close to the mic. Any mic that is closer to your mouth will sound more clear and less echoey (headset mic, or separate dedicated mic placed closer to your mouth)
EugW wrote: Good point. I have a Rode mic for my dSLR but I can use it for this purpose. Mind you for Zoom, most of the time I don't care. And most of the time I just use my iPad anyway.
I guess I should also add that was far as webcams go, my Lenovo Essential/300 mics are noticeably better quality that average cheap low end webcams. Not as good as a good quality dedicated mic, but more than sufficient for most business type use.

So yeah, for the others, if you don't want to buy a dedicated mic, the Essential/300 is probably the better solution for you, with reasonable video quality (albeit in wide angle) and reasonable mic quality, for cheap when on sale.
Newbie
Sep 1, 2008
51 posts
10 upvotes
Dorval
ryokoseigo wrote: Is there a cheaper windows hello webcam? I'm kinda fine grabbing it at this price just for hello. Does anyone know how well these work in low light just for hello? I get it'll be garbage in low light, but don't know how hello works.
Yeah. Pull the trigger just for windows hello. Currently using Logitech C920 pro, don't like the fact that the mic cannot be turned off, and no lens cap.
Member
Jan 7, 2004
284 posts
5 upvotes
Burnaby
keeperX wrote: Yeah. Pull the trigger just for windows hello. Currently using Logitech C920 pro, don't like the fact that the mic cannot be turned off, and no lens cap.
Windows Hello uses a different sensor, it's infrared based and will work in the dark. The nice thing about this camera is you can half close the shutter so Windows Hello will work, but covering the normal camera.

I've had this camera for almost a year now and to me, the picture quality is mediocre. I just got a Logitech C930e the other month and the picture quality is noticeably better. However, for the price and Windows Hello support, it's worth the buy.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)