Shopping Discussion

Locked: Lenovo Laptop Y410p 14" i7-4700MQ GT755M - $279 - PART 1

Oct 31, 2009
404 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver
Anybody gotten an answer from virtstor@lenovo.com apart from a confirmation email that they received my complaint?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
mpsrent wrote: Lenovo guilty of bait and switch?

CBC Newsworld

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Business/ID/2460195299/

Great coverage! Watch it.
wow, that was a great segment, and lenovo really got hammered. lots of people watch cbc news and I guarantee you when general tv viewers like my grandmother goes to fs to buy a new laptop, lenovo will be the last brand she looks at - anti-consumer treatment and pricing scams like that resonates for years.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7441 posts
4191 upvotes
Moncton, NB
rocheapplied wrote: If you read the posts when the deal was live, there were numerous, if not countless posts saying "this is too good to be true," or "for sure this is a pricing error." You'd have to be living under a rock to actually believe that this deal was legit..I read the posts when people were purchasing..most people ended up buying because they thought they had nothing to lose. The reason that this is garnering so much attention, is the fact that there is a slim possibility that with enough media / public attention, Lenovo will fulfill these orders. But to say that there is some insidious plot for bait / switch or to get customer's infos I think is a little over the top :| Lenovo has more important issues than to sit around in aboard meeting, and come up with a fake pricing scheme to get customer's info.

Admittedly, Lenovo has been doing a crappy job in terms of refunding people's payments, but I'm sure they will get that sorted out. Cmon people, we're talking about numerous payments, and thousands of orders. They're still trying to figure it out.
I agree with you. IMO this as gone a little too far really......
May 8, 2013
131 posts
126 upvotes
Windsor
migx wrote: Anybody gotten an answer from virtstor@lenovo.com apart from a confirmation email that they received my complaint?
Nope, sent one saturday then a follow one up yesterday and still nothing.
Sep 12, 2013
446 posts
184 upvotes
pastasauce701 wrote: A lot of people are saying that we shouldn't be upset because we knew it was a price error. But, in fact, putting aside the fact that everyone makes mistakes, I am actually upset about:

1. The site remaining opened for greater than 24 hours after announcing it was a price error. If they were serious about this being just a simple error, they'd take the servers down for a mere 10 min and put it back up when it's fixed. Leaving it up is simply a means of generating publicity clearly.

2. The only thing we received is a mass email that took no more than 2 mins for them to write, with no indication of refund, or any compensation, but the arrogance to "invite us to buy at regular price"?

3. Continuing to take credit card and personal information of many customers by simply leaving the page up.

4. Complete lack of communication, wrong order numbers, lack of personal responsibility and generic messages about them reviewing the situation.

It's definitely not just a simple mistake anymore. This is clear incompetence and even arguable malicious intent.
EXACTLY! Add to that, they maliciously deleted all the accounts who registered on lenovo canada! trying to delete the traces of evidences eh just like digital paper shredding! :razz:
[IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img844/1613/oyla.jpg[/IMG]
Jun 24, 2013
114 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
migx wrote: Anybody gotten an answer from virtstor@lenovo.com apart from a confirmation email that they received my complaint?
Nope!
Jun 23, 2009
85 posts
49 upvotes
Nothing yet unfortunately
Banned
Mar 16, 2009
4857 posts
2030 upvotes
Nicole Bogart ‏@nlynnbogart 13m

Social media response from the #Lenovogate story is intense. There are parody accounts and all! Keeping on the story today, guys. #Lenovo

GlobalNews is staying on this story. Sean will probably do a follow up today

REMINDER: @JuliaRosien wants to hear YOUR STORY and how you have been affected by #LenovoSucks -- PLEASE Tweet her and let her know! She goes live to air in ONE HOUR. Even if you've told it before, TELL IT AGAIN, we need to keep up the presence and pressure at every opportunity!

TOGETHER WE CAN HELP KEEP UP THE INTENSITY -- EVERY TWEET AND RETWEET COUNTS!! #TAKEACTIONTUESDAY
<<< Did you find my post helpful? Click the THANKS button.

BOYCOTT Lenovo products || Read about #LenovoGate! Tweet #LenovoSUCKS @Lenovo & @Lenovo_Canada, Post @ facebook.com/lenovo
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
HeavyDutyKronos wrote: CBC Newsworld talking about #LenovoGate on air again right now.

Reading angry #LenovoSucks tweets on air and broadcasting the hashtag!

GOLDEN.
this just cost lenovo more in bad press and lost corporate/consumer sales than allowing '1 laptop per address" and making a pr killing by being the "good guy". this company is very, very stupid.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7441 posts
4191 upvotes
Moncton, NB
So if Lenovo decided to honor the deal. How many people will thank them and bring this to the media? :)
Sep 5, 2012
177 posts
131 upvotes
great white
Jepogski wrote: EXACTLY! Add to that, they maliciously deleted all the accounts who registered on lenovo canada! trying to delete the traces of evidences eh just like digital paper shredding! :razz:
[IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img844/1613/oyla.jpg[/IMG]
lenovo never deleted any accounts,

there are 2 sites,

you made your account on this one

http://shop.lenovo.com/workperksca/ca/e ... :00003BAD:

you can login there i bet.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote: wow, that was a great segment, and lenovo really got hammered. lots of people watch cbc news and I guarantee you when general tv viewers like my grandmother goes to fs to buy a new laptop, lenovo will be the last brand she looks at - anti-consumer treatment and pricing scams like that resonates for years.
No they won't. Three months from now, no one besides a few angry RFDers with too much time on their hands will remember this or still be outraged by it.

If there's one consistency with the public mentality is how fickle their memory is.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Nov 4, 2005
334 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
nounou23 wrote: So if Lenovo decided to honor the deal. How many people will thank them and bring this to the media? :)
I think we can cross that bridge if/when we come to it :razz:
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
nounou23 wrote: So if Lenovo decided to honor the deal. How many people will thank them and bring this to the media? :)
there is absolutely no chance on them honoring it now, as they waited too long to extend an olive branch and have now lost millions and millions through bad pr. what will hopefully happen is the people being more informed of blatant bait-n-switch scams like this (being fraudulently passed off as "price errors") and hopefully getting some new consumer protection rules in place.

but no, the non-quebec laptops are now water under the bridge (it's coupon time!), and hopefully the next company that wants to pull a "lenovo_gate" will think twice before trying a similar scam.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
Jepogski wrote: trying to delete the traces of evidences eh just like digital paper shredding!
They should give Dalton McGuinty and Kathleen Wynne a call. They know people who specialize in that type of work...
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Winkle wrote: No they won't. Three months from now, no one besides a few angry RFDers with too much time on their hands will remember this or still be outraged by it.

If there's one consistency with the public mentality is how fickle their memory is.
this is not true, and bad press for BRANDS is extremely long-term with consumers and a bad experience or bad press (without the offending company doing a "white knight" act to save the day) stays with consumers for a very long time. in 3 months few consumers will probably not remember the exact details of this scam, but "lenovo" will still have a negative connotation to them.

it's the way brands work (both good and bad), and why companies try so hard to keep their brand clean.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote: wow, that was a great segment, and lenovo really got hammered. lots of people watch cbc news and I guarantee you when general tv viewers like my grandmother goes to fs to buy a new laptop, lenovo will be the last brand she looks at - anti-consumer treatment and pricing scams like that resonates for years.
I certainly don't. Even "Hockey Night In Canada" is garbage now (Friedman being the only guy worth listening to on that show).

(yes, I know you said CBC news - but I don't even watch that much anymore).
vero95: :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2189 posts
2897 upvotes
TORONTO
I haven't.