Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro |16" 2560x1600 165hz 16:10 w/ Ryzen 5800H & RTX 3070 | $2079.99 + 7% Rakuten |

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1650 posts
841 upvotes
Nova Scotia
quantman wrote: There was a price error on this laptop a few weeks back - 1670$ on perkopolis lenovo for the 3070, 32gm ram, 2tb nvme config.
Yeah saw the thread. Good deal. Thought you were referring to this deal.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9832 posts
1302 upvotes
GTA
Hey all, I am a bit out of the loop with current laptops/computers. Helping out my nephew search for a laptop for school. He needs one capable of video editing. I was looking at deals on Dell but a lot do not ship out until September or later!

Looking at Lenovo as an option too and came across this thread. The specs they gave him were i7 processor, 16 gb of ram and 512 GB SSD card. I looked up the equivalent intel processor to the AMD Ryzen and website I found says it is equivalent to Intel i9-9980HK so based on specs alone it seems like this laptop would be pretty good for his needs. Anything I am missing?

The other machine I found on the Intel side I was considering was the XPS 17 but it is more money with worth specs it seems (except the laptop screen size which isn't necessarily a big advantage as he could always attach external monitor).
This was the other machine I was looking at - https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-la ... igurations

Anyway suggestions appreciated!

EDIT - OP Thanks for answering my question. I am not going to keep bumping the thread up. It was actually in stock this morning but I was trying to guide my sister to buy via Perkopolis and this latop was not coming up on Perkopolis. The search engine on Lenovo site is horrible. I tried searching for the Product ID, even went through the search with different processor types/etc but this one did not filter through. And during that process the laptop went out of stock again after added to cart on regular site without perkopolis. She also had issues logging into Rakuten because she was going to Rakuten . com vs. .ca ...
Last edited by YLSF on Aug 14th, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2004
1567 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
seems like a stellar deal. i'm waiting for Black friday hoping there will be some good deals then, but are Legions and Alienware laptops fairly comparable from a quality and performance standpoint? I've heard and have myself experience mixed reviews with lenovo build quality. Although a lenovo is probably a higher tier of quality than what I'm used to; that being ideapads etc. It's also been a long time since I've purchased a dell/hp as well (more than 5+ years).

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1360 posts
1183 upvotes
kid_icarus wrote: seems like a stellar deal. i'm waiting for Black friday hoping there will be some good deals then, but are Legions and Alienware laptops fairly comparable from a quality and performance standpoint? I've heard and have myself experience mixed reviews with lenovo build quality. Although a lenovo is probably a higher tier of quality than what I'm used to; that being ideapads etc. It's also been a long time since I've purchased a dell/hp as well (more than 5+ years).

Thanks!
I would pick Lenovo over alienware. Heard many horror stories of alienwares overheating.

This deal is equivalent to the $1600 usd one in the US that I posted about in the glitch thread. Really looks like they're really discounting it properly. $1939 before tax with perkopolis is getting close to the glitch. $140 more and less 1TB nvme, which makes it about $260 more for the exact same spec. Let's get a $1600 version with 16gb/512 soon :D:D
[OP]
Aug 21, 2009
186 posts
110 upvotes
YLSF wrote: Hey all, I am a bit out of the loop with current laptops/computers. Helping out my nephew search for a laptop for school. He needs one capable of video editing. I was looking at deals on Dell but a lot do not ship out until September or later!

Looking at Lenovo as an option too and came across this thread. The specs they gave him were i7 processor, 16 gb of ram and 512 GB SSD card. I looked up the equivalent intel processor to the AMD Ryzen and website I found says it is equivalent to Intel i9-9980HK so based on specs alone it seems like this laptop would be pretty good for his needs. Anything I am missing?

The other machine I found on the Intel side I was considering was the XPS 17 but it is more money with worth specs it seems (except the laptop screen size which isn't necessarily a big advantage as he could always attach external monitor).
This was the other machine I was looking at - https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-la ... igurations

Anyway suggestions appreciated!
That Dell is awful in a performance to $ comparison. It would do the job and be lighter to lug around but comparatively way weaker. There are several better options for 2k.

That i7 is a 6 core (there are 8 core i7s), this AMD is an 8 core. I'm lazy when it comes to comparing processors so I usually just Google the model # and look it up on notebookcheck and cpu benchmark (bigger score = better)

Screen size it's not quantity but quality that counts. This Legion has a higher resolution screen (that Dell is only 1080p) and supports HDR and Dolby Vision (better colours... Most content even on phones is recorded in HDR now) and the 16:10 aspect ratio that is unique to these 16" (not 15.6 or 17.3) models gives you more vertical real estate.

Again... You can edit on that Dell or pretty well almost any 2k laptop. But if you want best bang for your buck performance wise this was the current best deal to get. It's not that this one can edit videos and the Dell can't... It's just this one will load/render/export way quicker and smoother. The GPU helps a lot with that so don't just look for i7. Research your Nvidia's!

The Dell has a 1650. That GPU being a 1000 series card dates it older than 2 years. The 2000 series are last year. The 3000 series are the current. Since it's not a 1050 but a Nvidia 1650 it's basically a refresh of an old card but still doesn't add many gpu functions of the newer series. The third number basically means tier. A 5 is as low as they go anymore (I think). 6 is middle tier. This laptop is middle/high at 3070. And a 3080 is top end and overpriced. Performance wise again look up benchmarks on notebookcheck to compare cards. But besides this one being a current-gen, higher tier card, it's also an 8gb dedicated GPU vs a 4gb GPU. (I won't try to go into wattages on the 3000 series cards but just so you know not every 3070 is the same and it's super dumb. Basically thinner laptops with better battery life use lower watt 3000 series GPUs that therefore perform worse. This is a thick one though)

It sold out earlier in the day after I cancelled my original order and tried to place a new order through Perkopolis. I died inside for 90 minutes until it came back in stock.

So hopefully if you keep refreshing it will come back again before the sale ends. I wish anyone interested good luck!

PS. They recommend Intel because for years AMD wasn't really a threat to Intel in the laptop processor market. That's changed and they didn't. But if you look at the Legion 5i pro or 7i it's
basically the same unit but Intel processors that (for the time being because they're not on sale) cost more.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2004
1567 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
strife wrote: I would pick Lenovo over alienware. Heard many horror stories of alienwares overheating.

This deal is equivalent to the $1600 usd one in the US that I posted about in the glitch thread. Really looks like they're really discounting it properly. $1939 before tax with perkopolis is getting close to the glitch. $140 more and less 1TB nvme, which makes it about $260 more for the exact same spec. Let's get a $1600 version with 16gb/512 soon :D:D
Yeah honestly this laptop seems like a great deal and way more than I need. I just want to be future proofed as much as possible but also want to treat myself to a good laptop as I haven't bought myself a machine in a few years! Interesting re:Alienware.
Nov 15, 2009
607 posts
127 upvotes
GTA
Ugh I just ordered the dell g15 a few days ago but I think I would’ve rather paid $500 more for this. 3070 instead of 3060, qhd screen, and 32gb instead of 16gb. I prefer the intel 11th gen in the dell but that’s more of a wash. Wish it would come back in stock.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9832 posts
1302 upvotes
GTA
Managed to order one. Was helping out my nephew/siter do it remotely this morning and such a pain.

Used this to try to get Perkopolis and Rakuten thanks to @Catenary :
how-get-rakuten-stack-lenovos-perkopoli ... #p33820993

I had to navigate the site to find the deal on laptop. Went to students, then student gamer, then Legion 5 (the middle one) then picked the laptop. Bloody complicated and by time did it went out of stock. Tried few hours later and then the warranty option was disappearing. Decided to order it without the extra warranty as figured could add later and managed to check out again but also showed out of stock. We changed the quantity to 2 and then back to one and back and worth until showed available in cart again and then managed to check out.

Thanks OP!
Sep 21, 2019
867 posts
571 upvotes
Anti glare sucks though ? Colours will not be as vibrant compare to glossy? I had a gaming laptop with anti glare. Image looks dull, washed out. I had to always connect it to a monitor.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1650 posts
841 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Kagaho wrote: Anti glare sucks though ? Colours will not be as vibrant compare to glossy? I had a gaming laptop with anti glare. Image looks dull, washed out. I had to always connect it to a monitor.
Check out the youtube reviews as most give it big points for the screen. 400nits and DV is pretty good at this price I think.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1650 posts
841 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Dealsly wrote: Same shipment date here and still unshippped.
I got shipping notice about 1 hour ago. Seems the ship date is a day late. Hopefully more are moving.