Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo Legion Y530 laptop - $1059.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2019 8:47 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 27, 2014
21 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo Legion Y530 laptop - $1059.99

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8300H (2.30GHz, up to 4.0GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 cores, 8MB Cache)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64
Display Type: 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 300 nits, IPS anti-glare
Memory: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz (1 Dimm)
Hard Drive: 256GB Solid State Drive PCIe
Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
AC Adapter: 170 watt AC
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Battery: 3 cell Li-polymer, 57Wh
Camera: 720p HD camera with microphone
Keyboard: Fullsize Backlit Keyboard - English
Wireless: Lenovo 802.11 AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 4.1


Price is $1059 , 10% ebates should be available.

Thinking about getting this, any thoughts?
Last edited by Gru001 on Aug 16th, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
17 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2007
2137 posts
1370 upvotes
Markham
Good price but not hot if we compare it to the Price Error deal.
Thank you OP.
EBates is 10% now for Lenovo.
-------
Thank you
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3314 posts
3289 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kunamvahees wrote: Good price but not hot if we compare it to the Price Error deal.
Thank you OP.
EBates is 10% now for Lenovo.
RFD has ruined me for Lenovo pricing.. I didn't even get the price error but reading those threads makes me want a Lenovo just to wave to other RFD'ers.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 25, 2018
140 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
oddly this doesn't come with the accidental protection :/
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 8, 2011
1463 posts
4528 upvotes
kunamvahees wrote: Good price but not hot if we compare it to the Price Error deal.
Thank you OP.
EBates is 10% now for Lenovo.
Nothing will be hot if you keep comparing it to the price error deal
Newbie
Sep 18, 2018
78 posts
13 upvotes
This mobile gtx 1060 has the 6gb memory, correct? I think I saw on userbenchmark that there is a 3gb version of that gpu? Another thing I want to know about these lenovos is if the intel graphics are enabled and if it switches between the two depending on program and workload?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 25, 2018
140 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
mahava wrote: This mobile gtx 1060 has the 6gb memory, correct? I think I saw on userbenchmark that there is a 3gb version of that gpu? Another thing I want to know about these lenovos is if the intel graphics are enabled and if it switches between the two depending on program and workload?
This one comes with the 6gb 1060... buying the 3gb 1060 is a waste of money imo
Newbie
Sep 18, 2018
78 posts
13 upvotes
What's wrong with the screen? Is it the 300 nits one?
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 27, 2014
21 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mahava wrote: This mobile gtx 1060 has the 6gb memory, correct? I think I saw on userbenchmark that there is a 3gb version of that gpu? Another thing I want to know about these lenovos is if the intel graphics are enabled and if it switches between the two depending on program and workload?
Yes 6gb and yes has the switch. There is a nice you tube review from some guy in AU. He got 328 nits screen brightness in testing, 4hr 40 min battery while watching you tube videos. I mainly want it for occasional gaming and work when away from home. I think I am ordering in the next few days, unless someone here doesn't change my mind ;) Overall I like that is it smaller and thinner than lets say dell or acer, reviews say that is has a pretty good build, keyboard, track pad, battery life. Weight in this config should be 4.7lb from what I found. Thermals are good too, unless going 100% CPU, then it throttles back a bit, but apparently still no performance hit in games.
Newbie
Sep 18, 2018
78 posts
13 upvotes
Good info, Gru001

I bought the New Dell G3-3590 posted on RFD but had to return it because of defect. Eventually had to ask the bank to dispute over refund; so, I'm considering getting this one. Using the G3 as a baseline comparison, there is only a minor difference between this 8th gen i5 and the 9th gen one in the G3. The 9th gen one is slightly faster and can support more memory, I believe. The G3 had the GTX 1650 which has less memory than the 1060 6gb. I couldn't find a good GPU comparison of the mobile GPU's on userbenchmark. This RAM is one 8gb stick compared to the G3's 2x4 gb stick. That means I'll have to add another stick to have dual channel memory, but 16gb, which is good.

I like how I could see both the integrated and NVIDIA graphics in task manager on the G3 and also that it had a SD card reader. I don't think this has a card reader, only USB. I think these laptops should have at least two kinds of media readers since they no longer have DVD's. I didn't like the matte, dim 60hz screen on the G3. I see people complaining about the audio and wifi card on this lenovo... so, potentially, I would have to change the wifi card and use headphones?

Have you ever seen this laptop in person? If so, how does it look? I was considering the ROG strix one posted here, good thing I went into best buy to check it out first, cause it is one hot ass mess. The only good thing on that one was the 120hz screen. Honestly, I think these companies have the hardware differences so as to thwart price matching across brands. I wanna see what others have to say.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 14, 2010
905 posts
335 upvotes
The Great North
Is it true that the GTX GPU series is better than the RTX series?
Sr. Member
Sep 23, 2014
657 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nivek_k2020 wrote: Is it true that the GTX GPU series is better than the RTX series?
I'd like some of what you're smoking.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 27, 2014
21 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mahava wrote: Good info, Gru001

I bought the New Dell G3-3590 posted on RFD but had to return it because of defect. Eventually had to ask the bank to dispute over refund; so, I'm considering getting this one. Using the G3 as a baseline comparison, there is only a minor difference between this 8th gen i5 and the 9th gen one in the G3. The 9th gen one is slightly faster and can support more memory, I believe. The G3 had the GTX 1650 which has less memory than the 1060 6gb. I couldn't find a good GPU comparison of the mobile GPU's on userbenchmark. This RAM is one 8gb stick compared to the G3's 2x4 gb stick. That means I'll have to add another stick to have dual channel memory, but 16gb, which is good.

I like how I could see both the integrated and NVIDIA graphics in task manager on the G3 and also that it had a SD card reader. I don't think this has a card reader, only USB. I think these laptops should have at least two kinds of media readers since they no longer have DVD's. I didn't like the matte, dim 60hz screen on the G3. I see people complaining about the audio and wifi card on this lenovo... so, potentially, I would have to change the wifi card and use headphones?

Have you ever seen this laptop in person? If so, how does it look? I was considering the ROG strix one posted here, good thing I went into best buy to check it out first, cause it is one hot ass mess. The only good thing on that one was the 120hz screen. Honestly, I think these companies have the hardware differences so as to thwart price matching across brands. I wanna see what others have to say.
Well 1060 will be 20-30% faster in games compared to 1650 from the benchmarks I was able to find. I really do not care about SD readers, as I do not remember ever using one. Screens seem to be a drawback with all the mid range gaming laptops, as in being dim and not being great with reproducing colors. This lenovo is no exception, but it it seems to be brighter and a bit better than G3 from the testing results I was able to find. Would a 120 or 144mhz screen be better for games, sure, but I am not looking for this to be my main rig, I have a desktop for that. Wasn't able to see any complaints about wifi / audio. Not sure if what you found are specific to this model. Google you tube Jarrod to find the AU guy that posted a review of this exact model. It is very detailed.

As for the looks, I do not like bulky laptops as I plan to use this when I am traveling. So this smaller / slimmer and non flashy laptop seems to fit the bill. No, haven't seen it in person.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 27, 2014
21 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Well, after digging for few days I found out that for $120 more you can get Processor : Intel Core i5-9300H + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB. GTX 1660ti is almost as fast as mobile rtx 2060, only few % behind, minus ray tracing. If you are into ray tracing, you can add rtx 2060 to build for $120.

When configuring I have removed regular HDD and just left SSD, so total cost was $1188 after the intelgamerdays coupon..


Legion Y545 15" Premium

Processor : Intel Core i5-9300H (2.40GHz, up to 4.10GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 cores, 8MB Cache)
Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
Microsoft Productivity Software : None
Memory : 8GB DDR4 2666MHz
Second Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2, PCIe-NVMe
Display : 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 300 nits, IPS, anti-glare, 60Hz
Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB
Color : Black
Keyboard : Backlit Keyboard - US English
Camera : 720p HD camera with microphone
Surface Treatment : Anodizing
Chipset : HM370
Palmrest : PC/ABS
Battery : 3 Cell Li-Polymer, 57Wh
Power Cord : 230W AC Adapter - US
Wireless : 802.11AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 4.1
Language Pack : Publication-English
Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 26, 2007
5564 posts
3068 upvotes
Toronto
Gru001 wrote: Well, after digging for few days I found out that for $120 more you can get Processor : Intel Core i5-9300H + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB. GTX 1660ti is almost as fast as mobile rtx 2060, only few % behind, minus ray tracing. If you are into ray tracing, you can add rtx 2060 to build for $120.

When configuring I have removed regular HDD and just left SSD, so total cost was $1188 after the intelgamerdays coupon..


Legion Y545 15" Premium

Processor : Intel Core i5-9300H (2.40GHz, up to 4.10GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 cores, 8MB Cache)
Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
Microsoft Productivity Software : None
Memory : 8GB DDR4 2666MHz
Second Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2, PCIe-NVMe
Display : 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 300 nits, IPS, anti-glare, 60Hz
Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB
Color : Black
Keyboard : Backlit Keyboard - US English
Camera : 720p HD camera with microphone
Surface Treatment : Anodizing
Chipset : HM370
Palmrest : PC/ABS
Battery : 3 Cell Li-Polymer, 57Wh
Power Cord : 230W AC Adapter - US
Wireless : 802.11AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 4.1
Language Pack : Publication-English
Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
$40 cheaper using epp site @ $1149
Jr. Member
Aug 16, 2019
108 posts
1 upvote
GTA, ON
nivek_k2020 wrote: Is it true that the GTX GPU series is better than the RTX series?
It's too complicated than you think of, the gtx 16 series came up with rtx lineup without the nvidia ray-tracing, and rtx 20 lineup is supposed to replace gtx series that start with gtx 10. But each rtx gpu performs better than last gen higher level gpu. eg. Rtx 2060 better than gtx 1070, and the "super" version can be seen as "Ti" and slight better than itself.

Top