[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo Smart Display 7" with Two Smartbulbs bundle - $89

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2021 9:33 pm
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
27 posts
69 upvotes

[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo Smart Display 7" with Two Smartbulbs bundle - $89

I was searching for a deal on the Smart Display 7" as I remembered it went as low as $69 before, but this is not a bad deal with two smart bulbs included

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/virtual-re ... MART7BULBS

The big plus with the bulbs, they're not colour changing (i'm too old for that crap) but the colour temperature can be adjusted from soft white (warm) to daylight (cooler), which is awesome. They retail for $17.99 each so not bad as a bundle.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
36 replies
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
27 posts
69 upvotes
...and don't forget 3% Rakuten cashback!
Banned
Aug 28, 2013
780 posts
505 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I like the discount but I can't be convinced with the use(s) of this item. Nice deal though OP I like Lenovo.
Nov 21, 2011
223 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
I bought the Lenovo smart bulbs on sale last time and they constantly get disconnected from my WiFi network.
Zoomer Wireless: $36 - 5 GB, 800 mins
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1401 posts
983 upvotes
Pickering
RoyF482 wrote: I like the discount but I can't be convinced with the use(s) of this item. Nice deal though OP I like Lenovo.
Agreed. Bought a Google Home hub and it just sits there, with the bare minimum usage being the clock.
CTC employee

Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Sep 14, 2014
90 posts
35 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Richard1986 wrote: Agreed. Bought a Google Home hub and it just sits there, with the bare minimum usage being the clock.
I can literally think of two things I do with this dumb Hub.
"Hey google, turn on/off the light" turns on/off the light strip above my computer desk area
"Hey google, set my alarm for XX:XX"

Chromecast with Google TV on the other hand...way more worth the $$
Apr 19, 2010
369 posts
107 upvotes
Boucherville
Apparently, you can run Plex on it .. or cast to it ..
Either way .. I'm in
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
27 posts
69 upvotes
kingbijan wrote: I can literally think of two things I do with this dumb Hub.
"Hey google, turn on/off the light" turns on/off the light strip above my computer desk area
"Hey google, set my alarm for XX:XX"

Chromecast with Google TV on the other hand...way more worth the $$
I went with this mainly for video calls to replace the traditional 'home phone', to easily call up family. It's true most of the voice commands work instead of tapping at the screen.

I see it more like a smart photo frame than a dumb hub, and I'm already all Google eco-system. The Google Home hub lacks a video camera to be truly useful vs a Google Nest mini.
Dec 2, 2019
239 posts
602 upvotes
kingbijan wrote: Chromecast with Google TV on the other hand...way more worth the $$
I bought Chromecast with Google Tv last week and found it not as good as amazon firestick 4k. Chromecast remote did not recognize my TV. Power button on remote only controlled the Chromecast power (in same TV, amazon firestick4k's power button controls TV power as well). Chromecast Remote was slippery. Major issue was when i was trying to play 15GB media file from my NAS (using VLC media player), Chromecast simply couldn't play the file while firestick4k was able to play that same file.

So, i wouldn't say google tv is worth the $$ (atleast as per my experience).
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1173 posts
1225 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
I don't understand people comparing a smart display bundled with smart light bulbs to a Chromecast. Not sure what you guys are thinking or if you have ever used a smart display. This is for those who want a smart picture frame + video calling + non-netflix streaming + google assistant in a single device. At this price, give one of these to your family members and have a nice enjoyable video calling experience. Share an album on Google and let the grandparents see their grandkids on the picture frame.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9205 posts
5651 upvotes
Toronto
Richard1986 wrote: Agreed. Bought a Google Home hub and it just sits there, with the bare minimum usage being the clock.
Didn't use my lenovo 8" much until I put it as a bedside clock, now I use pretty often for alarms, music and whatnot. The smaller displays are good for that.
Oct 9, 2019
222 posts
220 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Teachers discount for some reason doesn't work for me. Signing in to Id.me doesn't change the price.
Mar 9, 2011
436 posts
144 upvotes
Coquitlam
Bought Lenovo "smart" bulbs last time they were on a hot deal. In hindsight I wouldn't even use them for free. Connection is balls.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2572 posts
3326 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
superxxxstud wrote: I don't understand people comparing a smart display bundled with smart light bulbs to a Chromecast. Not sure what you guys are thinking or if you have ever used a smart display. This is for those who want a smart picture frame + video calling + non-netflix streaming + google assistant in a single device. At this price, give one of these to your family members and have a nice enjoyable video calling experience. Share an album on Google and let the grandparents see their grandkids on the picture frame.
Yup, that's what we use the GNH, setup the device and passed it to mother-in-law in Poland 2yrs ago, now whenever we take a picture of either her granddaughters it automatically gets added to her slideshow in Poland.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1173 posts
1225 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
remik wrote: Yup, that's what we use the GNH, setup the device and passed it to mother-in-law in Poland 2yrs ago, now whenever we take a picture of either her granddaughters it automatically gets added to her slideshow in Poland.
Yup you setup Google to identify faces and auto-share. It then pops up on the Lenovo. Gave it to my grandmother who is in a senior home and that sure helps her.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2318 posts
573 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
These Lenovo smart displays are garbage. I had one and it stopped working after a little over a month. Lenovo replaced it. The replacement also died a few weeks later (won't turn on) and Lenovo refused to replace it again. Stuck with a $100 brick now.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1220 posts
317 upvotes
One problem if you have kids. You turn the switch on and off (as little as twice) to reset the bulbs to their default state where they start flashing and you losing the colour / warmth settings.
If you have younger kids (like I do), you'll be reinitializing the bulbs frequently.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
27 posts
69 upvotes
Anyone remember the digital photo frame craze and how most of them were awful quality and really expensive? This is leaps and bounds better and meant to be family purposed. I was debating between a cheap tablet which of course would have much better value/functionality but sometimes simple is beautiful, and don't have to worry about passcodes and guests poking into emails etc. It's a smart appliance that sits there.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22027 posts
25640 upvotes
Toronto
I got the 8" one brand new from Kijiji . In Toronto I see them there for around $75-$90 usually.

We use it for casting Rogers Ignite, Hoopla, Kanopy, YouTube and Spotify.

Sadly it doesn't support Netflix and Amazon Prime casting for what I can only assume are financial reasons
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Jul 15, 2019
14 posts
17 upvotes
East Kootenay
These are also nice if you have nest doorbells. If I'm in the kitchen and someone rings the doorbell they pop up on the screen.

Also a good selection of recipes available by voice with a decent interface to view them.