Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen I5 256ssd 16gb ram $983.95

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2020 9:30 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
tmonies wrote: Y'all talking about RAM like it's an absolute necessity... and here I'm running 4GB without any problems on a Surface Pro 3... really depends on what you're needing your laptop to do. With less RAM, you simply run less programs simultaneously... but are you really going to be doing tasks on more than 2 monitors? If not, why do you need 10 apps to be all running at the same time in the background.

IMHO, 8GB is enough for the majority of everyday users. 16GB would be nice to future proof and 32GB is overkill unless you're a programmer, gamer or some other small percentage of the population that just has too much money to waste.

The major improvement (or bottleneck) recently was the CPU. Prior to that it was the spinning HDDs... RAM really hasn't been a big limiter in terms of overall specs...
On the other hand, if doubling RAM is $200, and the computer lasts four years, and it's used constantly, the return on investment is probably not bad for the times the computer is faster or completes tasks it couldn't with less RAM. For the time factor, it's not necessarily in terms of absolute $/task time, but could be supportive of productive creative flow, or simply enjoyment.
Jul 14, 2019
755 posts
1215 upvotes
davidm wrote: I suggest you look into the actual details more closely then. Operating system level memory management is highly optimized, the progression between l1, l2, l3 cache, persistent storage, each slower than the next, but a good caching or indexing strategy with disk can be faster than simply directly accessing large amounts of RAM.
Yes, I understand how it works. I cannot replicate what you are describing on any of my systems is all I'm saying, which should be similar to most average user's usage case scenarios.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
CanadaCPU wrote: Yes, I understand how it works. I cannot replicate what you are describing on any of my systems is all I'm saying, which should be similar to most average user's usage case scenarios.
A system with 4GB or less RAM will behave differently since there are some essential components, but certainly after 8GB for typical tasks the extra RAM is going to be all cache. If you're saying more RAM is better though, I definitely agree, even for casual users, unless they specifically want to enjoy their experience less, since even small improvements can make a big difference.
Jul 14, 2019
755 posts
1215 upvotes
davidm wrote: A system with 4GB or less RAM will behave differently since there are some essential components, but certainly after 8GB for typical tasks the extra RAM is going to be all cache. If you're saying more RAM is better though, I definitely agree, even for casual users, unless they specifically want to enjoy their experience less, since even small improvements can make a big difference.
I think we're on the same page Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2664 posts
220 upvotes
I have the spin 3 and the build quality is pretty bad. The plastic seems cheap and has already cracked even with pretty good care. No more buying an Acer laptop
alli wrote: How does it compare with this one from microsoft for $949
Acer Spin 5 SP513-53N-76ZK Laptop

• 13.3-inch Full HD touchscreen
• Intel Core i7-8565U
• 16GB memory/512GB SSD

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/acer- ... chspecstab

Intel Core i7-8565U is better than Intel® Core™ i5-8350U
512GB SSD better than 256 GB

Up to 13 hours battery life not 15.4 for the Thinkpad
13.3 inch not 14"
But only Windows 10 Home not Pro
No pen included
$40 cheaper but no rebate
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9405 posts
5374 upvotes
arbytor wrote: pulled the trigger on this as I find thinkpads are well built and this is a good price for a 2-in-1 with this type of configuration. hope I get the 9% from rakuten to sweeten this deal more for me.
If I go through Rakuten I get a price that says $1379 but to get the 983.95 I need to go through the perkopolis link. How do you actually get Rakuten to display the 983.95 price before you check out?
Apr 1, 2015
411 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville
Always struck me as a bit strange that a lot of people seem up in arms about requiring 16gb+ of ram on these things... but aren't pointing out the necessity of a dedicated GPU? if you're in the market to have a laptop that can run modern games at high settings and do video editing, you probably want both of those things... otherwise 8gb is fine. i play league on my flex 15 with a bunch of tabs open in chrome and its perfectly fine, otherwise all else i'm doing is office + browsing/email + netflix, which i imagine the majority are doing as well

these yoga x1 laptops are awesome and will last you for years. there's a reason why there's a big market for refurbished/used ones. i would be ontop of this if i didn't upgrade a few months ago
Aug 22, 2016
626 posts
408 upvotes
choclover wrote: If I go through Rakuten I get a price that says $1379 but to get the 983.95 I need to go through the perkopolis link. How do you actually get Rakuten to display the 983.95 price before you check out?
I dont know how rakuten will work for this deal but in the past I login and do a shopping trip from there. In this case, I logged in to rakuten then did the shopping trip then switched the link to perkopolis to make the final purchase. I was just giving it a shot, hope it works.
anyone knows a better way or the right way?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5352 posts
2460 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote: I have 12GB of memory used just with a few excel/word sheets open and a bunch of Chrome tabs.
Right now I am using 37% of my 32GB RAM (11.84GB) with just Chrome, Excel, Word, Outlook, etc. The Windows 10 baseline RAM usage too is not insignificant.
For what it's worth, right now I have Firefox, Chrome (one of the tabs playing YouTube), OneNote, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Photoshop and VLC (playing a video) and Windows 10 is using 6GB of 16GB.
Feb 4, 2011
705 posts
489 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote: Right now I am using 37% of my 32GB RAM (11.84GB) with just Chrome, Excel, Word, Outlook, etc. The Windows 10 baseline RAM usage too is not insignificant.
That is a lot of ram consumed on basic office apps, unless chrome is bleeding. something isn't right there. Please check for any memory leaks or hidden virus.
May 6, 2016
483 posts
218 upvotes
Whitby
Paid over $2500 with the dock just a little over a year ago. Run it with 3 screens when I'm at the home office. Love the yoga function as I do sit in a lot of meetings when on the road and still old school and like to write my notes and quickly draw diagrams. In the first year have had the keyboard replaced twice as and finger print module once. This replaced my T550 and still use both but X1 is my go to. Would I buy again, yep, wife is looking for new laptop and will be getting the X1, just may get the extended warranty.Winking Face
Jan 21, 2003
346 posts
103 upvotes
Edmonton
Cghall wrote: Paid over $2500 with the dock just a little over a year ago. Run it with 3 screens when I'm at the home office. Love the yoga function as I do sit in a lot of meetings when on the road and still old school and like to write my notes and quickly draw diagrams. In the first year have had the keyboard replaced twice as and finger print module once. This replaced my T550 and still use both but X1 is my go to. Would I buy again, yep, wife is looking for new laptop and will be getting the X1, just may get the extended warranty.Winking Face
Three repairs in the first year on a $2500 machine? How is this acceptable?? Seems like no one makes reliable computers anymore.
Nov 12, 2016
121 posts
59 upvotes
jcss wrote: This computer is my daily driver since it came out . I have the everything max'ed out SKU but here are my thoughts:

- I have the 1440p 500nit dolby display so I can't comment on the 1080 except that the bezels are pretty thick on this device. It can be a boon sometimes when you actually use it in tablet mode so you have something to hold onto but it's mostly a big downside. 4th gen greatly reduced bezel size.
- SSD is easily upgradable yourself if you are comfortable installing a NVME ssd. The default SSD is pretty good
- The finger print reader is pretty poor, I have to have it relearn my fingerprint every few months
- Keyboard is not as good as a real thinkpad keyboard. It does however recess into the chassis when you go into tablet mode so the back doesn't feel like you're pressing a bunch of keys. Neat little trick but 99% of the time you won't care.
- Audio port has known "popping" sound issue that may have been fixed after initial batch (unknown)
- It is VERY durable for a device of this type. I've dropped it from chest height, no damage
- Cooling is really bad... you're going to want to repaste it and undervolt it if you are doing any serious workloads. For sustained, tough workloads this is not a good choice but funnily enough Lenovo allowed this model the highest burst TDP of all its laptops... 44W. Completely unsustainable for more than a few seconds but for a lot of people who just load up a program or a website or something and then browse for a few minutes and repeat, basically it's a 44W CPU for them. The fan is underpowered and also further restrained by Lenovo firmware that doesn't allow it to spin up until temps are too high/already throttling. It is a PITA to adjust the fan.
- The pen is nice, but I would say the device is overall a little too large and the screen size a tad too small for it to be used for anything better than an occasional desperate jot.
- Pretty good I/O!
- 4 lane Thunderbolt 3 for e-gpu support or lots of monitors if you want and a full size HDMI

I like to use my laptops in tent mode when I'm at a desk with my own peripherals and for that purpose this computer has been good to me. I think for under $1000 this is a good deal but I wouldn't pay too much more than that and I would suggest this mostly to users who highly value tent-mode to save desk space and excellent I/O. Don't put too much stock into its tablet capabilities or its pen.
Sick review bro. Thanks a lot
Oct 19, 2016
175 posts
160 upvotes
Rakuten doesn't seem to work, When I signed up and clicked on Lenovo Canada
A page opens up but doesn't load
Can someone please guide?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2019
1340 posts
1540 upvotes
MattSF wrote: Always struck me as a bit strange that a lot of people seem up in arms about requiring 16gb+ of ram on these things... but aren't pointing out the necessity of a dedicated GPU? if you're in the market to have a laptop that can run modern games at high settings and do video editing, you probably want both of those things... otherwise 8gb is fine. i play league on my flex 15 with a bunch of tabs open in chrome and its perfectly fine, otherwise all else i'm doing is office + browsing/email + netflix, which i imagine the majority are doing as well

these yoga x1 laptops are awesome and will last you for years. there's a reason why there's a big market for refurbished/used ones. i would be ontop of this if i didn't upgrade a few months ago
A lot of people don't understand how operating systems and ram works. As a result, they spread bad information that people start treating as general fact. That is very clear and shown in this thread.

Heck, I have used a laptop with 4gb of ram to do simple office, browsing, netflix, youtube, etc. Doing similar and at times the same stuff I would do on my 16gb rig.
Oct 22, 2007
795 posts
1039 upvotes
I have an older x1 yoga.. i recently put a 512 ssd in. 256 goes by fast! Has 8 gig ram (you cant upgrade - it was soldered to motherboard) and runs great.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1235 posts
521 upvotes
Montreal, QC
jcss wrote: This computer is my daily driver since it came out . I have the everything max'ed out SKU but here are my thoughts:

- Cooling is really bad... you're going to want to repaste it and undervolt it if you are doing any serious workloads.
And... I'm out :-)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)