Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

Lenovo ThinkStation P330 Sales

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2020 1:02 am
Tags:
Jun 13, 2008
219 posts
442 upvotes
Lonon

[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo ThinkStation P330 Sales

How are the Lenovo ThinkStation P330? They are currently on sale.

I came across the attached configuration here for a coworker. I think considering the 3 year warranty it's a good deal. This is for someone non-techsavvy, so reliability and support are important.

I would probably upsize the power supply to 400W for an extra $10. Perhaps in a year or two they would upgrade to a dedicate Quadro P620 for some light cad work.

Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 29th, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a retailer
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2189 posts
2897 upvotes
TORONTO
1200$ for a 9600 without dedicate graphic is not a good deal at all.

It called itself ThinkStation, don't see how it's a work station at all, consumer CPU, non ECC support, no pro graphics.
RACISM IS THE WORST VIRUS
Jan 28, 2015
246 posts
770 upvotes
Montreal
This is about $500 if you build it yourself...

$1929 original price lmfao Lenovo making a killing on boomer businesspeople
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2011
2022 posts
8936 upvotes
Yeah, it’s a no from me dawg
how do i remove my signature?
Mar 14, 2020
91 posts
195 upvotes
Montreal
I don't know much about the ThinkStations in particular, but I would definitely agree with the people above that $1200 for an i5, 256GB SSD, and 16GB ram is very overpriced.

If warranty is important I would say check out Costco, all their electronics come with a bonus year (so 2 total), and you can add extended warranty for very cheap. I'm sure it won't be the same kind of service as a Lenovo warranty, but a lot cheaper. Also keep in mind that that 3 year warranty from Lenovo will certainly be voided if they end up adding a separate Graphics Card later on. Unfortunately with everyone working from home right now, I've noticed that Costco's website is super light on Desktops, but you may wanna check in-store next time you do your monthly Apocolypse load-up.

You could also check out Dell's site. This is pretty similar to what you specc'd out above (but with 12GB ram and 512 SSD, and a minor step down in CPU), but for $799.99. Plus Rakuten gives you an extra 2% cashback. Dell also has a $50 off coupon if you spend over $1000, in case they wanted to go with something a bit beefier.

EDIT: Found something even better on Dell's site. This is $850 and has 16GB ram and 1TB HDD (could always add an SSD if desired) (in case the hyperlink doesn't wanna work: https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktop ... 0ms_f_h30e ) You can also add a dedicated GPU for $250, and it's only $50 to swap the HDD out for a 256GB SSD. If you do both those you can use the $50 off over $1000 coupon as well ;)
Last edited by ncheply on Apr 29th, 2020 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
8187 posts
9554 upvotes
Vancouver
RaphaelK2005 wrote: How are the Lenovo ThinkStation P330? They are currently on sale.

I came across the attached configuration here for a coworker. I think considering the 3 year warranty it's a good deal. This is for someone non-techsavvy, so reliability and support are important.

I would probably upsize the power supply to 400W for an extra $10. Perhaps in a year or two they would upgrade to a dedicate Quadro P620 for some light cad work.

eorsgg wrote: This is about $500 if you build it yourself...

:rolleyes:

The CPU is $250.. how are you going to get the rest including 3 year on site warranty for $250?

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Jun 13, 2008
219 posts
442 upvotes
Lonon
eorsgg wrote: This is about $500 if you build it yourself...

Sure, you can build it. I could to. And dick around with issues and deal with individual part RMA's, but this is for someone else. Who can't build or troubleshoot pc's. Warranty and support are needed. Lenovo has 3 year on-site warranty.

Putting something together on pcpartpicker with OS (I'm not screwing around with grey market keys that may fail in a few years), puts me about $760 compromising on some lower end parts. And that's still going with the lowest priced retailer shown on pcpartpicker. Add-in shipping, which everyone seems to be gouging on, looking at over $800. Any then once it's built, who supports it? Where is the on-site support?
Apr 18, 2017
807 posts
1669 upvotes
ncheply wrote: I don't know much about the ThinkStations in particular, but I would definitely agree with the people above that $1200 for an i5, 256GB SSD, and 16GB ram is very overpriced.

If warranty is important I would say check out Costco, all their electronics come with a bonus year (so 2 total), and you can add extended warranty for very cheap. I'm sure it won't be the same kind of service as a Lenovo warranty, but a lot cheaper. Also keep in mind that that 3 year warranty from Lenovo will certainly be voided if they end up adding a separate Graphics Card later on. Unfortunately with everyone working from home right now, I've noticed that Costco's website is super light on Desktops, but you may wanna check in-store next time you do your monthly Apocolypse load-up.

You could also check out Dell's site. This is pretty similar to what you specc'd out above (but with 12GB ram and 512 SSD, and a minor step down in CPU), but for $799.99. Plus Rakuten gives you an extra 2% cashback. Dell also has a $50 off coupon if you spend over $1000, in case they wanted to go with something a bit beefier.

EDIT: Found something even better on Dell's site. This is $850 and has 16GB ram and 1TB HDD (could always add an SSD if desired) (in case the hyperlink doesn't wanna work: https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktop ... 0ms_f_h30e ) You can also add a dedicated GPU for $250, and it's only $50 to swap the HDD out for a 256GB SSD. If you do both those you can use the $50 off over $1000 coupon as well ;)
You, uh, forgot to include the on site support. That makes the Dell a far worse deal.

The computer itself is pricey, but that 3 year onsite that is included is what drives the price up/competitive.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
Cold cold cold.....
The sweetest gyal
Jun 13, 2008
219 posts
442 upvotes
Lonon
ncheply wrote: I don't know much about the ThinkStations in particular, but I would definitely agree with the people above that $1200 for an i5, 256GB SSD, and 16GB ram is very overpriced.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't consider the voided warranty if you were to add parts. It's actually $100 cheaper now to get the quadro 620 with the lenovo than buy retail, so that might be an option.

I've been trying to avoid systems with gaming cards such as 1650/1660, as there has been reported graphical glitches with the programs required. I didn't focus on consumer grade desktops like Inspiron since these only have an option for gaming cards, and only have the 1 year warranty by default.

Yes I did look at Costco, and I agree selection is lacking.
Banned
Dec 5, 2009
97 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm. Anyone knows of a good i7 desktop deal or how to build one at a reasonal below 1500 price? Was thinking of the Alienware r8 1660 ti. Any thoughts pros?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The components are definitely not worth the cost, but if you really need that warranty I guess it's not too bad.

We have good experience with Lenovo support. They came in fix up our Thinkpads the next day after contacting support with not much hassle. If the machine is mission critical then I guess the cost is justified.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
hansdoreen wrote: 1200$ for a 9600 without dedicate graphic is not a good deal at all.

It called itself ThinkStation, don't see how it's a work station at all, consumer CPU, non ECC support, no pro graphics.
It's a platform that you can customize. You can pick a Xeon processor, ECC RAM and Quadro card (up to a P5000) as you see fit.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1304 posts
721 upvotes
Lenovo's "regular price" is so outrageously inflated that it's almost criminal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
A better spec’d laptop is priced lower than this. Is there a reason to buy this desktop @ $1,200? Then you need to either use your current monitor or spend more money to get a monitor. I guess the potential to upgrade your desktop is easier than a laptop but then you’re spending more money to upgrade when a lower cost laptop has nicer specs.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 28, 2019
49 posts
48 upvotes
I would suggest looking into ... laptop with lid closed hooked to 24 inch monitor with Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse

I use this at home and with other family members
Very cost/convent effective

Any laptop with SSD and 8gb or more ram will work
Jan 22, 2022
1 posts
I had a very bad experience with Thinkstation P 340. It was not configured properly. I am not able to see the BIOS settings on my monitor. The technical support is clueless and unwilling to help. You are pretty much on your own after making the purchase.
You might want to consider customer service as a factor before choosing to buy an expensive system. No matter how good the product it is not of much use to you if you can’t use it as intended.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)