Expired Hot Deals

Lenovo Canada

Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th i5 10210 512gb SSD 16GB Ram 400NITS $1504.50/$1429.28 Student/Military

[OP]
May 2, 2007
355 posts
245 upvotes
YVR

[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th i5 10210 512gb SSD 16GB Ram 400NITS $1504.50/$1429.28 Student/Military

Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Gen
Processor: 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-10210U Processor (1.60 GHz, up to 4.20 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 6 MB Cache)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
Display Type: 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, low power, anti-glare, 400 nits
Memory: 16 GB LPDDR3 2133MHz (Soldered)
Hard Drive: 512 GB PCIe SSD
Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
Graphics: Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics
Battery: 4 Cell Li-Ion 51Wh
Camera: 720p HD
Fingerprint Reader: Fingerprint Reader
Keyboard: Backlit - US English
Wireless: Intel® 9560 802.11AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0

Part No. 20R1S0M000

Use THINK50 for 50% off $1504.50

Military/Teacher/Student/Responder Discount $1429.28

10% CB at one of those sites.

Not sure if this is a great deal, good deal, or not a deal at all.

Ticks most of the boxes for me...16GB RAM and 512 GB SSD but not sure to get this or wait for a deal on the Dell NEW XPS 15 which currently would cost $1899.00 with 16GB and 512GB SSD. Like the bigger screen and 16:10

Thoughts?
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 16th, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
31 replies
Dec 27, 2007
939 posts
676 upvotes
The deal is okay based on the spec. The list price is way inflated. Btw, X1 carbon Gen 8 is also on sale.
I used X1 Carbon and then X1 Yoga at work, but I found the quality is decreasing year over year - Windows OS may also affect the user experience.
For personal use, I will recommend MBP. It lasts a lot longer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6384 posts
6801 upvotes
Toronto
hiker007 wrote: For personal use, I will recommend MBP. It lasts a lot longer.
For personal use, I don't recommend a MBP. It doesn't last longer -- in fact my experience with MBP is that the hardware, AND the software ecosystem on MacOS (OS + common personal and business applications from major suppliers), is less reliable and day-to-day stable, than the equivalent on Windows 10. And MBP is dongle hell.

I have and use a MBP 2015, a MBP 2017 at work, a Thinkpad T450s, and have used a X1 Carbon at work also.

MBP line has slid a LOT in the last 4-5 years. And it's now in a "v1.0" redesign year so should probably be avoided until mid 2021 so that the manufacturing kinks are worked out.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
2642 posts
1244 upvotes
GTA
Mac vs. Windows

I didn’t expect to start this debate on 2nd and 3rd post...
‎3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Jobs built.
R.I.P Steve jobs...!!
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1615 posts
893 upvotes
hiker007 wrote: For personal use, I will recommend MBP. It lasts a lot longer.
This is not true, I have 2009 - core 2 duo SL-thinkpad and still runs fine (yes over the year I have repalced battery few times, added RAM and updated to SSD). People who have owned Lenovo - T-seris, ThinkPad and X1 carbon knows they last forever.
Last edited by comp_freak on Jul 18th, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 5, 2017
117 posts
35 upvotes
I'm in the market for a thin and light high quality Lenovo laptop for software development. Does it make sense to go for this or should I wait/dish out more money for one of the Ryzen units? The screen and 16gb ram configuration seems to go for at least 2k normally.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1832 posts
1222 upvotes
lenovo msrp are over inflated its not even funny

cpu is crap
DDR 3 ram? crap
no dedicates gpu. crap
evety single component in this laptop is bad.

900 should be reg price for this
600 for the spec + 300 perceived build quality

hmm I think even 900 is too expensive for this. No idea why people keep buying lenovo x1.
Last edited by JIB9022 on Jul 15th, 2020 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 10, 2010
219 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
I can't believe that laptops like this do not include ir camera for face id??
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2013
1214 posts
519 upvotes
Chambly, QC
hoob wrote: For personal use, I don't recommend a MBP. It doesn't last longer -- in fact my experience with MBP is that the hardware, AND the software ecosystem on MacOS (OS + common personal and business applications from major suppliers), is less reliable and day-to-day stable, than the equivalent on Windows 10. And MBP is dongle hell.

I have and use a MBP 2015, a MBP 2017 at work, a Thinkpad T450s, and have used a X1 Carbon at work also.

MBP line has slid a LOT in the last 4-5 years. And it's now in a "v1.0" redesign year so should probably be avoided until mid 2021 so that the manufacturing kinks are worked out.
Well, for personal use, I’m for MBP too. But the ones that can be upgraded.
And that’s clearly a dead species since 2013.
I’m using a 2012 mbp13 i5 with two SSD and 16Go of ram. Works perfectly. But new ones cannot be upgraded at all.

The problem is that Windows laptop are going the same way! With soldered ram or SSD! It’s so stupid. Programmed obsolescence!!!
I will just refuse to buy stuff that I cannot repair/upgrade myself.

For every deal, just divide the price with the number or years you will use it.

Beautiful carbon Laptop by the way!
Aug 17, 2012
416 posts
547 upvotes
Victoria
RobertRabbit wrote: Well, for personal use, I’m for MBP too. But the ones that can be upgraded.
And that’s clearly a dead species since 2013.
I’m using a 2012 mbp13 i5 with two SSD and 16Go of ram. Works perfectly. But new ones cannot be upgraded at all.

The problem is that Windows laptop are going the same way! With soldered ram or SSD! It’s so stupid. Programmed obsolescence!!!
I will just refuse to buy stuff that I cannot repair/upgrade myself.

For every deal, just divide the price with the number or years you will use it.

Beautiful carbon Laptop by the way!
I'm not really an advocate for Apple products and I think they have gone downhill since about 2014. I use a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro for work. However, you can upgrade the NVMe SSD in later Macs if you use a Sintech bridge. I updated mine to a 1tb NVMe SSD and have 512gb for Win 10 and 512 for Catalina. If I bought myself a Windows laptop right now, it would be a ThinkPad but definitely with Ryzen...
Nov 3, 2006
255 posts
326 upvotes
JIB9022 wrote: lenovo msrp are over inflated its not even funny

cpu is crap
DDR 3 ram? crap
no dedicates gpu. crap

hmm I think even 900 is too expensive for this. No idea why people keep buying lenovo x1.
Can you tell me where to get a thin and light laptop with these specs for $900?
Jun 22, 2009
577 posts
288 upvotes
JIB9022 wrote: lenovo msrp are over inflated its not even funny

cpu is crap
DDR 3 ram? crap
no dedicates gpu. crap

I think its the portability that they try to sell, "UltraNotebook"

but yea, its pricy and I bought it and still use it everyday.
can't hate it when you can carry it anywhere and battery last for the day.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1615 posts
893 upvotes
coleonredflag wrote: I'm in the market for a thin and light high quality Lenovo laptop for software development. Does it make sense to go for this or should I wait/dish out more money for one of the Ryzen units? The screen and 16gb ram configuration seems to go for at least 2k normally.
This is 8th gen i5 with 16 GB RAM it should be fine for the software development perspective. This only have integrated graphic I am not sure how many external monitor support you are looking for but if you have 2x external monitor many laptop require dedicated graphic card. My work Lenovo laptop only work with one external monitor without dock, while dell with dedicate graphic works with two monitors.

Over the years, I have learn that I use external monitors and keyboard with my laptop and I bought Mac Mini 2018 base model (core i3 with 8GB DDR4 and 128GB SSD) and honestly I am not disappointed at all. I have done angular and .net development projects and it just run fine - it does get hot but I am fine with it.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14251 posts
3484 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
fadmin wrote: I can't believe that laptops like this do not include ir camera for face id??
It's a "pay extra" option.

Someone mentioned discrete graphics. Not going to find one in razor thin ultrabooks, as it would cause a meltdown. This computer isn't for pew-pew.
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5174 posts
7560 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
JIB9022 wrote: 300 perceived build quality

Yeah, that $300 is definitely earned:

Sep 28, 2012
222 posts
109 upvotes
Mississauga
X1 4th gen user as well as X1 Yoga 4th. The build quality is excellent and no issue at all. I agreed their price is inflated. Wait for sale 45-55% if you can.
Jun 14, 2011
314 posts
282 upvotes
Toronto
densil_lopez wrote: Mac vs. Windows

I didn’t expect to start this debate on 2nd and 3rd post...
I find it funny. I'm typing this from my 2017 MBP and I'm on this thread because after 20+ years, I'm done with Mac. The hardware and software quality is abysmal and the prices have gone from an "apple tax" on decent spec'd hardware to mortgage your house for specs that would be bargain basement on a PC. And they're flimsy and breakable. Apple has cut every corner, even literally like the notch under the trackpad which used to have a smooth curve is now flat. It must save them 3 seconds of machining time on each chassis. They got rid of the lit up apple logo, the breathing light, the battery strength and charging indicators, magsafe. They are such cheaply made basic machines now, it's just sad.

Apple has become a bad parody of itself. $1000 for a monitor stand, $700 castors for a PC case. Not that long ago, I paid $70 each for an Apple keyboard and trackpad. Now they're $150 each. And the final middle finger to their fleeing customers, the former computer company that now asks "what's a computer?" is switching their computers to have iPad CPUs. Buying a Mac now would be stupid because the whole line is end-of-life right now. And buying next year means you no longer get a computer, you get a eco-system locked internet appliance.

If I sound excessively angry, it's because I've got a lot invested in the Apple system and it's going to be a huge pain to switch, but Apple, the company that makes good computers simply doesn't exist anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1832 posts
1222 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: Yeah, that $300 is definitely earned:

like I said

600 for the spec

+ now you are paying 900 for that quality with discount
Apr 3, 2006
801 posts
464 upvotes
Oracle1729 wrote: I find it funny. I'm typing this from my 2017 MBP and I'm on this thread because after 20+ years, I'm done with Mac.
I’m in the same boat. Switched a long time ago to MacBook Pro 15. My current one is a 2013. I use mine for work and the direction Apple is going with the stupid touchbar is just a detriment to my workflow. I refuse to buy an “upgrade” with a terrible keyboard OR a touchbar. They have since fixed the keyboard but that’s not enough. I was tempted last year to get the 2015 MBP, the last good one without the touchbar and with a good keyboard. I was going to settle for getting a computer years old to avoid Apple’s current garbage.

The only reason I’m even in this thread is to consider my options. Seems like the best laptops that are not Apple are either the Dell XPS or the Lenovo X1. But with the latest Intel missteps - even those seem outclassed by my years old 2013 MBP.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2021 posts
1502 upvotes
Vancouver
Well..

I'm just here to say I love my X1 Carbon 6th gen, so the 7th sounds nice. Smaller battery but it has nicer speakers. I'm self employed and have it docked most of the time (USB-C dock) at my office but when I use it at home, sometimes I do wish it had better speakers without having to go get my bluetooth speaker. I'm not a road warrior so I am rarely without an outlet nearby.

I got the small 45w ravpower outlet and a 6m usb-c cable and it's nice to have an even smaller charger in my bag that I can use with for my phone too
Last edited by Sypsy on Jul 16th, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.