Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th i5 10210U 8gb Ram 256GB SSD 3yr $1001.28 STDNT/EBATES YMMV UPDATED

Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
12531 posts
1989 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
forgetpwd wrote: this leaves me not much choice then. except mbp, in my next laptop.
Good joke. Be sure not to watch Louis Rossman's YouTube videos, so as not to dissuade you from buying a Mac :D .

But check out Apple's wireless heat pipe technology :D.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2005
2901 posts
724 upvotes
Mars
rabbit wrote: Good joke. Be sure not to watch Louis Rossman's YouTube videos, so as not to dissuade you from buying a Mac :D .

But check out Apple's wireless heat pipe technology :D.
then heck, what else, dell? asus? acer? man, this is really going downhill. Smiling Face With Open Mouth or maybe a Huawei, heard Matebook is not bad. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Member
Dec 22, 2017
337 posts
549 upvotes
forgetpwd wrote:
then heck, what else, dell? asus? acer? man, this is really going downhill. Smiling Face With Open Mouth or maybe a Huawei, heard Matebook is not bad. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Honestly, I would personally look at T series myself; and pick up a one year on site warranty just in case. Most manufacturering issue will show up in one year. I am on my T480 for two years and had no issues. I know the T480 had the Thunderbolt port malfunction issue but Lenovo has released a patch for that. Just like most other products, the faults can be exaggerated.

My mother has a x1 yoga gen 3 which is also functioning fine.

The thing with laptops is that all will eventually develop hardware problems but it is a matter of how easy it is to be opened and fixed when it happens. Thinkpads have been pretty strong in this regard. Whichever laptop you choose, make sure to look at disassembly videos and check the repairability first. So avoid shit like the Surface laptops.

Another thing is thinner laptops without strong cooling have less thermal room inside for cooling which shortens life of the product and make the CPU throttle. Macbooks are known to run hot not just because of the thinness but also because of Apple's software focused on running quiet over running cool.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1690 posts
936 upvotes
Vancouver
forgetpwd wrote: then heck, what else, dell? asus? acer? man, this is really going downhill. Smiling Face With Open Mouth or maybe a Huawei, heard Matebook is not bad. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Just get onsite warranty and your chances of bad service go way down
I have a x1c6 and enjoy it

It's hard to get away from lenovo if you want something that lasts long, especially since MBP has fallen out of the recommendation list for many
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2005
2901 posts
724 upvotes
Mars
GeneralAkbar wrote: Honestly, I would personally look at T series myself; and pick up a one year on site warranty just in case. Most manufacturering issue will show up in one year. I am on my T480 for two years and had no issues. I know the T480 had the Thunderbolt port malfunction issue but Lenovo has released a patch for that. Just like most other products, the faults can be exaggerated.

My mother has a x1 yoga gen 3 which is also functioning fine.

The thing with laptops is that all will eventually develop hardware problems but it is a matter of how easy it is to be opened and fixed when it happens. Thinkpads have been pretty strong in this regard. Whichever laptop you choose, make sure to look at disassembly videos and check the repairability first. So avoid shit like the Surface laptops.

Another thing is thinner laptops without strong cooling have less thermal room inside for cooling which shortens life of the product and make the CPU throttle. Macbooks are known to run hot not just because of the thinness but also because of Apple's software focused on running quiet over running cool.
but x1 carbon has almost everything soldered on mb, if anything on mb goes wrong after warranty, then pretty much you are screwed. you are right, there is definitely a trade-off between thinness/weight and quality/easiness of fixing it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2005
2901 posts
724 upvotes
Mars
Sypsy wrote: Just get onsite warranty and your chances of bad service go way down
I have a x1c6 and enjoy it

It's hard to get away from lenovo if you want something that lasts long, especially since MBP has fallen out of the recommendation list for many
man, that was before covid 19. no on-site now. you for sure are the lucky ones. I bought x1 gen 7 in Feb this year, the ssd dead in June. not an easy process to get the new ssd. they use covid as an excuse for everything. And I paid for 3-year on-site warranty.

I had enough of lenovo, next time definitely gonna try something else, apple, dell or huawei.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1690 posts
936 upvotes
Vancouver
forgetpwd wrote: man, that was before covid 19. no on-site now. you for sure are the lucky ones. I bought x1 gen 7 in Feb this year, the ssd dead in June. not an easy process to get the new ssd. they use covid as an excuse for everything. And I paid for 3-year on-site warranty.

I had enough of lenovo, next time definitely gonna try something else, apple, dell or huawei.
aw man, i forgot about that. I have a long on-site warranty too. Hopefully I have no issues either

can't you DIY the ssd? i mean it sucks it died, but the chances of that happening when you buy your own ssd isn't zero either.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2005
2901 posts
724 upvotes
Mars
Sypsy wrote: aw man, i forgot about that. I have a long on-site warranty too. Hopefully I have no issues either

can't you DIY the ssd? i mean it sucks it died, but the chances of that happening when you buy your own ssd isn't zero either.
i sure can. but 1st, i have the warranty, they should send me a new one for FREE. DAMN IT, AS I'M TYPING RIGHT NOW, THE CAP LOCK STUCK. FK IT. IT'S A LONG STORY AND PAINFUL PROCESS. I SHALL WRITE IT OUT WHEN I GET TIME. SCREW LENOVO.
Penalty Box
User avatar
May 15, 2016
6147 posts
2072 upvotes
Has anyone compared x1 yoga 4th gen and x1 carbon 7th gen. I heard that the 4th gen is not really good for writing and taking notes like surface pro or book.

Top