Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkBook 14, 4500U, 8G soldered RAM and one RAM slot, 512G SSD, FHD, $630

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2021 2:14 pm
[OP]
Member
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkBook 14, 4500U, 8G soldered RAM and one RAM slot, 512G SSD, FHD, $630

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/perkopolis ... XTBXTMA400

ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 (AMD)
Part Number: 20VF004KUS

Passcode: PerKMemGo21

Processor: AMD® Ryzen™ 5 4500U Processor (2.30 GHz, up to 4.00 GHz Max Boost, 6 Cores, 6 Threads, 8 MB Cache)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
Display Type: 14.0” FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, 250 nits
Memory: 8 GB DDR4 3200MHz (Soldered) and one DDR4 SO-DIMM slot
Hard Drive: 512 GB PCIe SSD
Warranty: 1 year Depot or Carry-in
Graphics: Integrated AMD Radeon™ Graphics

Dimensions (WxDxH): 323 x 218 x 17.9 mm (12.72 x 8.58 x 0.7 inches)
Weight: 1.4 kg (3.09 lbs)
Case Material: Aluminium (top), aluminium (bottom)

RAM is upgradable. Per Tech Spec, "One memory soldered to systemboard, one DDR4 SO-DIMM slot, dual-channel capable".

See link below for detailed configurations of this model:
https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/ThinkBo ... 20VF004KUS

Rakuten cashback increased from 7% to 10%. May stack with Perkopolis.
Last edited by qfli78 on Mar 3rd, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Thread Summary
Looking for an affordable laptop? RFD Reviews has a list of the best laptops under $500!
226 replies
Sr. Member
May 25, 2007
627 posts
282 upvotes
Edmonton
Looks pretty good to me. Someone I know needed one, so this looks like a perfect fit for a laptop with great performance.
[OP]
Member
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
ryde or die wrote: Looks pretty good to me. Someone I know needed one, so this looks like a perfect fit for a laptop with great performance.
The display is a little weak. But for $630, the specs look quite good.
[OP]
Member
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Decent price, soldered RAM kills it for me, but otherwise decent. Nice find.
What are the potential problems with the soldered RAM, given it has one extra slot for RAM? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1030 posts
700 upvotes
Montr
redflagdealsguy wrote: Decent price, soldered RAM kills it for me, but otherwise decent. Nice find.
From the config of higher model I suspect that there is another slot for another RAM module
Personally I’d prefer the higher config model
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2600 posts
2106 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Wow, well done OP. This is a real contender to the Dell Inspiron 15 deal. The 512GB SSD would be enough for me so that's a win against the Inspiron (no need to buy a new SSD). Also, I'm wondering if both USB-C ports allow DisplayPort? This would mean a possibility of three external monitors. If that's the case, that'd be another advantage over the Dell.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2600 posts
2106 upvotes
Montreal, QC
redflagdealsguy wrote: Decent price, soldered RAM kills it for me, but otherwise decent. Nice find.
It's the sane as the Inspiron, with an extra slot allowing dual channel, no?
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 28, 2013
771 posts
473 upvotes
Richmond Hill
this price is like, amazing?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18481 posts
21096 upvotes
qfli78 wrote: What are the potential problems with the soldered RAM, given it has one extra slot for RAM? Thanks.
I don't see that option here, perhaps I missed it.

Having soldered RAM caps your potential dual channel RAM capacity if one slot is available.

If the soldered RAM is 8GB, adding another 8GB brings you to 16GB dual channel.

16GB is suitable for most people.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2600 posts
2106 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Another advantage over he Dell Inspiron 15 (which I already bought by the way) could be the backlit keyboard, which is probably better than the weird Inspiron's one, but it remains to be confirmed.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18481 posts
21096 upvotes
willy0275 wrote: Another advantage over he Dell Inspiron 15 (which I already bought by the way) could be the backlit keyboard, which is probably better than the weird Inspiron's one, but it remains to be confirmed.
I just keep mine off as I agree with the keyboard contrast observation.

However my Dell Inspiron 5500 is different...

64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 RAM
2TB (2X1TB) WD SN750 NVMe SSD

The Dell also includes a stock Intel AX200NGW WiFi 6 card.
Member
User avatar
Aug 17, 2012
400 posts
533 upvotes
Victoria
Specs look pretty good aside from the tiny 45Wh battery. That's always a weak point in these value laptops though.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2600 posts
2106 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Since we're at it, another advantage of the Lenovo here over the Dell Inspiron 15 is that it comes with Windows 10 Pro, with the Dell you need to pay a little extra for this as far as I can remember.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
[OP]
Member
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I don't see that option here, perhaps I missed it.

Having soldered RAM caps your potential dual channel RAM capacity if one slot is available.

If the soldered RAM is 8GB, adding another 8GB brings you to 16GB dual channel.

16GB is suitable for most people.
It has both soldered RAM and one RAM slot per its tech spec. Edited post title and body for clarification.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2600 posts
2106 upvotes
Montreal, QC
McGarnagle wrote: Can you add a second ssd to this?
From reading their specs sheet, seems you can.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
[OP]
Member
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
Desperadude wrote: From the config of higher model I suspect that there is another slot for another RAM module
Personally I’d prefer the higher config model
For sure the higher config model is a much better buy. Unfortunately that one seems never in stock.
Jr. Member
Jun 15, 2020
109 posts
284 upvotes
Hot deal, would likely have bought had I not already gotten the Inspiron 15.

Top