Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] Thinkpad E14 Gen 2 - Ryzen 7 4700u, 8gb RAM, 256ssd, 14" 1080p IPS screen $778.05

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2021 3:42 pm
[OP]
Dec 30, 2020
9 posts
74 upvotes

[Lenovo Canada] Thinkpad E14 Gen 2 - Ryzen 7 4700u, 8gb RAM, 256ssd, 14" 1080p IPS screen $778.05

Was looking for last minute laptop deals to end 2020, and came across this on the Venngo affiliate site for Lenovo (password is GoldWorkPerks2020). Seems like a pretty decent price for a Ryzen 7 4700u laptop with Thinkpad build quality (not as good as T series obviously, but still quite good).

From what I see on the spec sheet, this unit has both a soldered RAM slot (8gb) and an unpopulated SODIMM slot, so you could add your own RAM stick to this. Can also add a second SSD if you wish.

I also managed to get the 8% cash back via Rakuten by using the browser button, but YMMV.

First post so please forgive any formatting errors!

*** EDIT ***

Pricing back to original deal price ($778.05) with coupon code THINKNEWYEAR on the affiliate site.

I got mine delivered by UPS on Friday and I'm loving it.

*** EDIT 2 ***

Looks like the password for the Venngo affiliate site has changed. This deal is still available through the Perkopolis site.

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/perkopolis ... 2TPE14E4A2

Password is GoldPerk2020
Last edited by flowchart on Jan 19th, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
183 replies
Aug 4, 2004
461 posts
237 upvotes
How does it compare with the Dell one? I ordered the dell Inspiron 15 Ryzen 7 4700 on Dec 24th for $749.00+tax with 8% Rakuten then got $40 credit due to long lead time.. with the # pad or not isn't my main concern... If I just need this for personal use.. does Windows home or Pro makes a difference?

Could I wait for Dell one that supposed to ship out in Feb? Yes I could.. but... Should I wait or should I just take this instead?
Nov 17, 2019
289 posts
737 upvotes
cellsell wrote: How does it compare with the Dell one? I ordered the dell Inspiron 15 Ryzen 7 4700 on Dec 24th for $749.00+tax with 8% Rakuten then got $40 credit due to long lead time.. with the # pad or not isn't my main concern... If I just need this for personal use.. does Windows home or Pro makes a difference?

Could I wait for Dell one that supposed to ship out in Feb? Yes I could.. but... Should I wait or should I just take this instead?
Home vs pro doesn't matter.

For the same price I take this Lenovo for build quality and keyboard. If there is a 200$ difference (as many got the inspiron for 550$) I keep the Dell.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2020
9 posts
74 upvotes
cellsell wrote: How does it compare with the Dell one? I ordered the dell Inspiron 15 Ryzen 7 4700 on Dec 24th for $749.00+tax with 8% Rakuten then got $40 credit due to long lead time.. with the # pad or not isn't my main concern... If I just need this for personal use.. does Windows home or Pro makes a difference?

This is a 14" screen (my preferred form factor) vs I believe 15 on the Dell. This is also an IPS and I believe Dell uses WVA panels. Build quality on ThinkPads in my experience is significantly better than Dell, which is worth quite a bit to me as I tend to keep my computers a long time.

Ultimately, I don't think this is an apples to apples comparison.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1797 posts
84 upvotes
How did you get the Rakuten cash back to work?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1351 posts
3734 upvotes
Calgary, AB
quantman wrote: Home vs pro doesn't matter.
Can’t say it doesn’t matter if you don’t know the intended use. For instance, if you plan to use Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) you’ll want Win 10 Pro.
Aug 5, 2009
419 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone know if you can get a full refund if you opened/tried the product and don't like it? I never dealt with Lenovo before.

TIA
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1534 posts
589 upvotes
TBD
chengsterr wrote: Anyone know if you can get a full refund if you opened/tried the product and don't like it? I never dealt with Lenovo before.

TIA
No issues when I returned a laptop.
Aug 4, 2004
461 posts
237 upvotes
Sigh.... Rakuten just dropped from 8% down to 3% now...
Nov 8, 2020
15 posts
11 upvotes
USB 2.0 port and HDMI 1.4 makes it kinda lack ports but good deal if you don't do 4K external monitors and the likes.

Edit: Anyone know if the USB-C port can do both PD and DP at the same time through a hub since it's not thunderbolt (according to the review posted)?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17148 posts
19077 upvotes
Ports
USB-C Gen 1 (PD + DP)
USB 3.2 Gen 1 (Always On)
USB 2.0
HDMI
RJ45
Headphone / mic combo

So yes, you get 4K60 via USB-C and Power Delivery. No USB4 but that's not critical on a laptop.

They hint at (2x) NVMe slots.

8GB soldered means max 16GB dual channel.

This system will likely support 40Gb RAM with a 32GB SODIMM, the remaining 24GB being non-dual channel.

They claim the system only supports 24GB RAM, modern history dictates that they don't restrict RAM module size though.

Overall a good deal, it lacks complete dual channel RAM flexibility and the very aggressive discounts of the equivalent Dell, but it's also a Thinkpad (design plus for some) with IPS.

Upvoted.
Feb 11, 2007
529 posts
234 upvotes
Solid deal. Thanks Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I want to add an extra 8GB dual channel. Can I get any recommendations? Thanks
Dec 2, 2013
408 posts
654 upvotes
You will not get cash back if the order was paced through an affinity link like perkopolis, I know from experience.
Dec 25, 2012
96 posts
11 upvotes
MAPLE
Password to view this? GoldPerk2020 isn't working for me
Dec 25, 2012
96 posts
11 upvotes
MAPLE
So I just ordered the Dell Inspiron 15 4500U 2 days ago and spent $650ish in total, is it a no brainer to try and cancel that order and get this one?
Aug 6, 2009
417 posts
203 upvotes
callitkarma wrote: So I just ordered the Dell Inspiron 15 4500U 2 days ago and spent $650ish in total, is it a no brainer to try and cancel that order and get this one?

same here.. as my date for the Dell is on March 4. Please advise. Thanks.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2020
9 posts
74 upvotes
I personally would rather have a ThinkPad than the Dell.

Better build quality on the ThinkPad is worth at least a couple hundred to me, 14" laptops are my preferred form factor, this ships much quicker, and if I remember correctly the Dell is a 4500u whereas this is a 4700u (so this has better cpu). I believe the ThinkPad also has a double heatpipe cooler whereas the Dell is a single, but don't quote me on that.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2141 posts
1236 upvotes
Etobicoke
flowchart wrote: Was looking for last minute laptop deals to end 2020, and came across this on the Venngo affiliate site for Lenovo (password is GoldWorkPerks2020). Seems like a pretty decent price for a Ryzen 7 4700u laptop with Thinkpad build quality (not as good as T series obviously, but still quite good).

From what I see on the spec sheet, this unit has both a soldered RAM slot (8gb) and an unpopulated SODIMM slot, so you could add your own RAM stick to this. Can also add a second SSD if you wish.

I also managed to get the 8% cash back via Rakuten by using the browser button, but YMMV.

First post so please forgive any formatting errors!
Thanks for the post.

Is it a touch screen laptop. My friend needs a laptop and touchscreen is the first priority Expressionless Face.

I cannot fid it on the configuration page.

Thread Information

There are currently 16 users viewing this thread. (10 members and 6 guests)

uberxyz, SpikeThru, Yaya43, LDNA, Malta, umopapisdnwei, TheLowBaller, klatch, sheriffabc, rogerrabbit168