Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

ThinkPad E15 AMD 4500u - $647

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2021 1:25 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1832 posts
1223 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Source?

"The ThinkPad line was first developed at the IBM Yamato Facility in Japan, and the first ThinkPads were released in October 1992."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad
sorry that was a typo, meant IBM not dell.
now what source? do you need? u think present thinkpads are still manufactured in Japan with IBM quality? lol jokes on u

where is thinkpad manufactured? China

Manufacturing. The majority of ThinkPad computers since the 2005 acquisition of the brand by Lenovo have been made in China, but Lenovo also employs ~300 people at a combined manufacturing and distribution center near its American headquarters.
Jan 19, 2005
3 posts
I use a USB-c dock coupled with a PD charger that I purchased from Banggood bay with my Dell Latitude for work to get 3 screens..
Jan 1, 2011
200 posts
37 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I bought 3 of them for work and everything about is great. Battery life a bit low but the worst is the 250nit screen. I personally can’t stand it.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
I was confused to read Dell manufacturing thinkpads as well. Can't find anything wrt it on Google.

Thinkpads were very much solid when IBM still owned them, prior to Lenovo's takeover.

My family (outside of Canada) owned three and they were all very sturdy and reliable.

Not so sure about now.
<inappropriate signature>
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2241 posts
4462 upvotes
Terabithia wrote: Thinkpads were very much solid when IBM still owned them, prior to Lenovo's takeover.

My family (outside of Canada) owned three and they were all very sturdy and reliable.

Not so sure about now.
Even when IBM owned Thinkpad, some of them were manufactured in China - like the T41 I bought in 2004. I've had earlier Thinkpads as well as many later ones, and the build quality is still well above consumer grade laptops. I've also owned an Ideapad in recent years, and the difference in sturdiness and reliability was very noticeable (i.e., Ideapad was much worse - broken hinges, and frequent shutdowns from overheating).

One certain thing is that Thinkpads get abused a lot! I've bought several on eBay with physical damage (cracked screens, broken corners, etc.), and besides that physical damage they are fully functioning for several more years. The best thing about Thinkpads is that replacement parts are easy to find, as are instructions for fixing them. That helps extend their life even further, if you're willing to turn a few screws.
Last edited by umopapisdnwei on Jan 17th, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
On vacation
Dec 24, 2009
62 posts
6 upvotes
What RAM are we adding to this? Anyone have a link of what is recommended.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
JIB9022 wrote: sorry that was a typo, meant IBM not dell.
now what source? do you need? u think present thinkpads are still manufactured in Japan with IBM quality? lol jokes on u

Manufacturing. The majority of ThinkPad computers since the 2005 acquisition of the brand by Lenovo have been made in China, but Lenovo also employs ~300 people at a combined manufacturing and distribution center near its American headquarters.
Confused when you mentioned Dell.

Lenovo still does some manufacturing in Japan for corporate customers.

Not just born in Japan, but we now also manufacture some ThinkPad’s in Japan for our Japanese Customers. We are the only international PC vendor that has an end-to-end process in Japan – with the support of our joint venture partnership with NEC, ThinkPad’s are designed in Yokohama, manufactured in the NEC Personal Computer Yonezawa factory, supported in NEC PC’s Gunma Factory in case you ever need repair. We are the only vendor in all of Japan to design, develop, manufacture, distribute and support in Japan - We call this comprehensive commitment “Japan made and Support”

The inside story of ThinkPad and its connection to Japan
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3804 posts
561 upvotes
Vancouver
umopapisdnwei wrote: Compared to the Dell Inspiron 15 5505 Ryzen 5 4500u:
- higher price (vs. Dell with 10% discount)
- fewer options for memory upgrades
- primary SSD slot is m.2 2242 instead of m.2 2280 (there are fewer options for that size)
- warranty is not as good, especially if you want 3 years of coverage

Edit: Actually, the warranty upgrade for the E15 isn't bad. You can get 3 years of onsite support for $92.82 more. That's pretty good, IMO.
For those that don't want to spend that money. Doublecheck your cc benefits and keep your receipt/warranty details/cc statement as some cc double your warranty for up to a 2nd year.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2241 posts
4462 upvotes
kmchow wrote: For those that don't want to spend that money. Doublecheck your cc benefits and keep your receipt/warranty details/cc statement as some cc double your warranty for up to a 2nd year.
And if you get the 3 year warranty from Lenovo, you should also be able to get coverage for the 4th year from your credit card.
On vacation
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1043 posts
1372 upvotes
umopapisdnwei wrote: And if you get the 3 year warranty from Lenovo, you should also be able to get coverage for the 4th year from your credit card.
Although double check the wording with this. When I bought a ThinkPad in my university days (~2008) I thought this, but my card actually worded it as "extension of the original manufacturer's warranty". I noticed the wording's ambiguity, and called TD to clarify whether the wording meant "warranty provided by the original manufacturer" (which would include any optional extension) or whether it meant "original warranty provided by the manufacturer" and had the agent agent clarify in no uncertain terms that if I purchased the 3-year warranty, TD would provide coverage for Year 4.

You can see what's coming. In 2012, or Year 4, the hinge broke, and TD declined to repair it, stating that the wording only extended the unit's original 1-year (non-extended) warranty, therefore only applying to Year 2. Luckily, I'd noted the call time, agent name, etc. from my previous call and refuted this and they ended up covering it (it was a $400 repair!). I do not think that the actual insurance underwriter covered this. I think TD covered it out of their own pocket ultimately, as they just deposited it into my chequeing account (on the other instance when I've made a CC extended warranty claim the insurance company ended up cutting a cheque).

Do your research, clarify the policy, and note everything down!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1043 posts
1372 upvotes
umopapisdnwei wrote: Compared to the Dell Inspiron 15 5505 Ryzen 5 4500u:
- higher price (vs. Dell with 10% discount)
- fewer options for memory upgrades
- primary SSD slot is m.2 2242 instead of m.2 2280 (there are fewer options for that size)
- warranty is not as good, especially if you want 3 years of coverage

Edit: Actually, the warranty upgrade for the E15 isn't bad. You can get 3 years of onsite support for $92.82 more. That's pretty good, IMO.
To add to this:
- ThinkPad likely has a better keyboard
- Inspiron's a bit thinner

I'm going to stick to my Inspiron order as it's already a computer I don't really need...
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2241 posts
4462 upvotes
carsncars wrote: - ThinkPad likely has a better keyboard
Yeah, check out the flex on the Dell keyboard at 3:19 of this video... :/

On vacation
Oct 27, 2009
752 posts
500 upvotes
Hamilton
Any way to add Rakuten?
Jan 7, 2010
365 posts
388 upvotes
Burlington
Is there ever any deals on the previous years laptop models...in the market for a laptop for a student. Webcam, speakers, basic browsing and video playback. Nothing more extensive.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2241 posts
4462 upvotes
Camtheman4 wrote: Is there ever any deals on the previous years laptop models...in the market for a laptop for a student. Webcam, speakers, basic browsing and video playback. Nothing more extensive.
Lenovo's prices drop a little bit, but not by much. They don't keep much of an inventory, so there usually isn't much they need to clear out at deep discounts.

Check out this laptop at Shoppers Drug Mart:
https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/Shop/C ... 3199914255
Acer Aspire 3 A315-23-R1Y4 Notebook, 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080), AMD Ryzen 3, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10

$530 + tax = $598 - 159,000 PC Optimum points ($159 value) = $439 net cost.

I think that's the best value for a basic laptop right now. The PC Optimum offer expires today -- https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/20x
On vacation
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1141 posts
869 upvotes
JIB9022 wrote: sorry that was a typo, meant IBM not dell.

Thinkpad was developed in Japan, I don’t remember it was manufactured in Japan, at least my old IBM Thinkpad T20 (I still have it) was made in China already. Where is it manufactured is not important any more. It’s the build grade matters. In fact, who can manufacture PC better than China now?

Compare Lenovo Thinkpad with Dell Inspiron is an apple to orange comparison! I use Thinkpad at work for decades. Carrying it around, drop, coffee spill, never had issues. I used to buy a couple Dell for myself due to the price point, but they absolutely didn’t last long.

It is safe to say that any Thinkpad is better than Inspiron. thus this deal is better. May check if Rukuten offers 15% rebate on Lenovo, they have it quite often.
Jan 11, 2008
214 posts
199 upvotes
GTA
umopapisdnwei wrote: Lenovo's prices drop a little bit, but not by much. They don't keep much of an inventory, so there usually isn't much they need to clear out at deep discounts.

Check out this laptop at Shoppers Drug Mart:
https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/Shop/C ... 3199914255
Acer Aspire 3 A315-23-R1Y4 Notebook, 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080), AMD Ryzen 3, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10

$530 + tax = $598 - 159,000 PC Optimum points ($159 value) = $439 net cost.

I think that's the best value for a basic laptop right now. The PC Optimum offer expires today -- https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/20x
159,000 PC points = 30x points, not 20x per offer.
Nov 26, 2020
17 posts
ns1225 wrote: I bought 3 of them for work and everything about is great. Battery life a bit low but the worst is the 250nit screen. I personally can’t stand it.
How's the keyboard flex?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2241 posts
4462 upvotes
kennaley wrote: 159,000 PC points = 30x points, not 20x per offer.
SDM gives 15 points for each dollar spent.
15 x 20 x 530 = 159k points.
Images
  • Screenshot_3.png
On vacation