Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Jul 25, 2004
34 posts
My T500 just came today and it came with the WXGA TFT screen.

I'm trying to change the max resolution and it appears that the highest I can go is 1200 x 800. Everything is so huge on my screen and it's driving me crazy.

There's gotta be some way to increase the resolution right?...or am i screwed?
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11969 posts
1823 upvotes
u cant change it. either try refund :P
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9090 posts
1835 upvotes
Toronto
secksi wrote: My T500 just came today and it came with the WXGA TFT screen.

I'm trying to change the max resolution and it appears that the highest I can go is 1200 x 800. Everything is so huge on my screen and it's driving me crazy.

There's gotta be some way to increase the resolution right?...or am i screwed?
WXGA is 1280x800, its the standard resolution, you can't possibly go higher resolution than what your screen provides right? There just isn't enough pixels.... for you to do, say, 1440x900 so I think you get what you paid for. Correct me if there really is a way to making an even higher resolution that still fits on the screen without giong off the edges.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11969 posts
1823 upvotes
the t500 has an upgrade to 1680X1050, not 1440X900
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9090 posts
1835 upvotes
Toronto
I'm just giving an example of how 1440x900 pixels wont fit on 1280x800 screen. I have no clue what upgrades are available for the T500 :lol:
Dec 27, 2002
525 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga
I was on the fence about a new SL410, but the low screen resolution, and to a lesser extent integrated video card deterred me. 1360×768 is just too low.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1120 posts
17 upvotes
Day 6 deal should be up soon? 25% off SL series.
Apr 14, 2007
378 posts
40 upvotes
MooseOnLoose wrote: For me, part of the question is this: is Leof's allegation correct, that it used to be stronger? If that's the case, this is serious: The x200 has had rave reviews, if they have now made it cheaper in a way that compromises it's integrity, that's bad news about Lenovo. I hope this is incorrect. Some of those reviewers tested and analysed this machine very seriously. Was it this flexy in the summer and before?
I have no qualms with the lower half of my x200, it's solid with very little flex. However, the outer plate of the lid is far thinner than it should be. I should not be able to push the lid in far enough to make contact with the lcd screen (and make pressure points/ripples). Mine also twists as much as it does in the video.

The reason why I make the claim that the construction has changed is because I've read reports of people feeling differences between their friend's old x200 and their new one.

Also, it is actually a common practice to change the construction or manufacturer as a product matures. The PS3 for example went through many internal revisions that made its construction cheaper without any noticeable change to the exterior. Cellphones are often made at the OEM's plants in South Korea, Japan or Norway for the first few batches and then shifted to Chinese as it sells in larger quantities. I personally watched the evolution of the nokia 6300 and Motorola KRZR when I used to work in telecom and I can tell you that the earlier builds were much sturdier than later builds. This is done partly to reduce costs, partly to mitigate manufacturing errors early on and partly to obtain rave reviews (which always occurr in the first few months of a product's launch) that will have a residual effect thorughout the product's life.

I'm just surprised to see such a significant change on a brand known for its consistency.
Jan 15, 2009
9 posts
6 upvotes
bylo wrote: That was in early December. Then the Outlet had a Boxing Day sale where they liquidated a few remaining units. I got the last X61s they had available (according to the sales rep) at even more than 50% off:
rain wrote: I can't seem to find the 2008 expired deals thread. However I recall when I was helping my friend search for lenovo laptops back in Dec 2008, I notice a post that said something like 50% off lenovo laptop. I clicked on the thread posted sometime in early nov 2008. The first few posted said great price. Then after a few posts people were saying it was sold out. I checked the difference in time between the original poster and the person who said it they were all gone and it was only within a few hours. Hence I guessed it sold out fast.
50% doesn't seem that good now. Current discounts amount to 45%, at least on the base configurations offered. Upgrades don't get that great of discount. EG: on T500, upgrading from T8700 to P9900 is only discounted 14.5%.

Be interested in how Lenovo's supply chain works. Are all shipments direct from China (via Toronto), like the SL500 we bought in June? Means they don't have inventory on shelves here, like FS/BB etc. One would then think the Outlet stock would be marked down more than it is.
Sep 29, 2009
281 posts
28 upvotes
IBM was known for it's consistency not Lenovo. Before they bought IBM's department, as far as I know they were a manufacturer that sold products mainly in China...Personally I had never heard anything about them.

Also it pisses me off when I see titles like IBM Lenovo T500...
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2003
4782 posts
220 upvotes
leof wrote: I have no qualms with the lower half of my x200, it's solid with very little flex. However, the outer plate of the lid is far thinner than it should be. I should not be able to push the lid in far enough to make contact with the lcd screen (and make pressure points/ripples). Mine also twists as much as it does in the video.

The reason why I make the claim that the construction has changed is because I've read reports of people feeling differences between their friend's old x200 and their new one.

Also, it is actually a common practice to change the construction or manufacturer as a product matures. The PS3 for example went through many internal revisions that made its construction cheaper without any noticeable change to the exterior. Cellphones are often made at the OEM's plants in South Korea, Japan or Norway for the first few batches and then shifted to Chinese as it sells in larger quantities. I personally watched the evolution of the nokia 6300 and Motorola KRZR when I used to work in telecom and I can tell you that the earlier builds were much sturdier than later builds. This is done partly to reduce costs, partly to mitigate manufacturing errors early on and partly to obtain rave reviews (which always occurr in the first few months of a product's launch) that will have a residual effect thorughout the product's life.

I'm just surprised to see such a significant change on a brand known for its consistency.
Enjoyed reading your post. +1
He .... looka lika MAN!

I tell you every ting!

----------------------------------------------------

If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Apr 14, 2007
378 posts
40 upvotes
:)
Japanese car manufacturers are probably the most famous for doing this too. Toyota and Honda are quite famous for building the first few batches of a new car in their higher quality/lower defect plants (usually Japanese). Once they've worked out the kinks in the manufacturing process, they outsource to the US plants. Design defects are quite high on earlier builds, but material and construction defects are oftentimes lower because they're built in lower defect plants.
Apr 14, 2007
378 posts
40 upvotes
mythos1453 wrote: IBM was known for it's consistency not Lenovo. Before they bought IBM's department, as far as I know they were a manufacturer that sold products mainly in China...Personally I had never heard anything about them.

Also it pisses me off when I see titles like IBM Lenovo T500...
I may not be 100% correct on this but I'm pretty sure IBM was R&Ding alongside lenovo (which is usually the case) for many years before Lenovo bought the computing arm of IBM. I'm also pretty sure Lenovo bought the R&D dept (and all its staff) along with the facilities. Also, considering the continued evolution of computing further and further mainstream, I really don't think quality would be any better if IBM were in control today. Laptops are bound to become cheaper, smaller and lighter. Quality can only be maintained so far when expectations of size outweigh the reality of construction and material limitations.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I'm disappointed, but I'm pretty sure IBM would have screwed me with this lid as well. haha.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11969 posts
1823 upvotes
leof wrote: :)
Japanese car manufacturers are probably the most famous for doing this too. Toyota and Honda are quite famous for building the first few batches of a new car in their higher quality/lower defect plants (usually Japanese). Once they've worked out the kinks in the manufacturing process, they outsource to the US plants. Design defects are quite high on earlier builds, but material and construction defects are oftentimes lower because they're built in lower defect plants.
the is very untrue for automobile. usually, long term durablity problem gets worked out during the last years of production. such as the honda v6 tranny. they were really bad when they first came out, now its more durable than before.