Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Mar 23, 2004
40938 posts
6969 upvotes
Markham
gkouzev wrote: Can someone confirm that the ThinkPad T400 CAN support resolutions of at least 1920x1200 or higher if connected to an external monitor with higher res via DisplayPort/DVI?
t400 does not have a dvi port.
May 2, 2006
70 posts
31 upvotes
Those who have already received their notebooks please post the delivery times from the time of order.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2004
1468 posts
5 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
dms327 wrote: Those who have already received their notebooks please post the delivery times from the time of order.
Ordered on the 18th, shipped on the 24th, 27th arrived in Toronto from Shenzhen China, not sure how long itll take to get from Toronto to Vancouver, hope before the end of week
Heatware 17-0-0
BST Feedback 8-0-0

All 100% buy with confidence
Feb 24, 2009
64 posts
Ottawa
gkouzev wrote: Can someone confirm that the ThinkPad T400 CAN support resolutions of at least 1920x1200 or higher if connected to an external monitor with higher res via DisplayPort/DVI?
Sorry, I meant the T400s. My small HP311 notebook can support that, I hope the T400s can too. Any idea?
Feb 28, 2005
357 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Yup it's supported. I use my T400s on a Dell 2407WFP through DisplayPort + a second 19" 1280x1024 monitor through VGA in Linux. I assume it will work in Windows as well.
Feb 24, 2009
64 posts
Ottawa
mintcoffee wrote: Yup it's supported. I use my T400s on a Dell 2407WFP through DisplayPort + a second 19" 1280x1024 monitor through VGA in Linux. I assume it will work in Windows as well.
Thanks, have you noticed if the second display settings would allow you to bump the res to say 1920x1200? It may or may not as the driver would discover the capabilities of your monitor and may offer supported resolutions only.
Apr 18, 2004
847 posts
270 upvotes
boyz wrote: No DisplayPort on T400, only on T500 ! See linky.
T400 does have the VGA port and does support 1920x1200
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1010 posts
472 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
I've been considering various models of Thinkpad for weeks now. No big boxing day price-cut from Lenovo, so now I'm considering an ASUS UL30a from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-UL30A-A2-13-3 ... 2#windows7

The ul30vt is only $20 more with switchable dedicated graphics but I don't need that, I like the silver UL30A and this one has 2 years warranty vs. 1 for the VT.

Seems to blow away anything offered by Lenovo in terms of weight and battery life, except maybe the x200, but that screen is a touch small for me at 12"...

Great reviews on the ASUS:
http://www.consumersearch.com/cheap-laptops/asus-ul30a

Anyone going to try to talk me out of this? Lenovo has proven less reliable that Asus in breakdown statistics, despite the solid "reputation" of Thinkpads.

And I would not be carting around such a fugly old black box... :lol:
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18620 posts
3254 upvotes
Toronto
But it doesn't have the nipple mouse. Deal killer for me right there :|
Sep 21, 2003
589 posts
124 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
gkouzev wrote: Do you know if the T400s shares the same screen? No reviewer has complained about the screen on the 400s but who knows...
I just got a brand new T400s, and the screen is so bad that I'm probably going to return it and eat the $250 restocking fee if necessary. Anyone want a new T400s?

My brother also has one, and his screen is bad, but not THIS bad. It turns out he has a different panel, and I got stuck with the worst LCD I've ever seen in my life. It's the panel in this review. 98:1 contrast, incredibly poor viewing angles and black level. I can't find a vertical viewing angle that doesn't get me a striking top to bottom gradient from dark to bleached grey, or negative image to dark.

It's a real shame, because the T400s is otherwise a brilliant laptop. You can tell Lenovo really put a lot of thought into the new design features. It just makes me feel like vomiting every time I open it.

I'm thinking of going the X200 route and performing the AFFS panel mod.
"My fellow Americans, these are not the droids the nation is looking for."
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1588 posts
221 upvotes
Lévis
Bob_McBob wrote: I just got a brand new T400s, and the screen is so bad that I'm probably going to return it and eat the $250 restocking fee if necessary. Anyone want a new T400s?

My brother also has one, and his screen is bad, but not THIS bad. It turns out he has a different panel, and I got stuck with the worst LCD I've ever seen in my life. It's the panel in this review. 98:1 contrast, incredibly poor viewing angles and black level. I can't find a vertical viewing angle that doesn't get me a striking top to bottom gradient from dark to bleached grey, or negative image to dark.

It's a real shame, because the T400s is otherwise a brilliant laptop. You can tell Lenovo really put a lot of thought into the new design features. It just makes me feel like vomiting every time I open it.

That's not funny. I was about to order a SL or R for my girlfriend. Unfortunately, they have the same screen as yours. Kind of cooldown. Wonder if I can find something else in the 600$ price range...
Pourquoi pas?
Feb 24, 2009
64 posts
Ottawa
Bob_McBob wrote: I just got a brand new T400s, and the screen is so bad that I'm probably going to return it and eat the $250 restocking fee if necessary. Anyone want a new T400s?

Do you have the 1440x900 resolution screen?
Sep 26, 2009
55 posts
1 upvote
why isnt anyone getting 500gig hd 7200?

it seems most people get the 160gig 7200.

does having a 500gig make it much slower or heavier?
Sep 21, 2003
589 posts
124 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
gkouzev wrote: Do you have the 1440x900 resolution screen?
Yes, there's only one option available for the T400s. Like most Lenovo offerings, the actual panel installed may come from one or more manufacturers, and they can differ greatly in quality. The "better" version is still pretty terrible, but not as bad as the one I ended up with. I've seen posts talking about how nice the screen is, so I guess some people just really don't care :confused:
"My fellow Americans, these are not the droids the nation is looking for."
Dec 17, 2009
379 posts
45 upvotes
jamie2377356 wrote: why isnt anyone getting 500gig hd 7200?

it seems most people get the 160gig 7200.

does having a 500gig make it much slower or heavier?
lol no

Not many people need a large harddrive in their laptop. I'd use an external harddrive if I wanted to watch a lot of media (which I don't plan to do) on my laptop.