Ongoing Deal Discussion

Lenovo Canada

Locked: ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
I can't hear the audio poping anymore, like I did yesterday. I don't know which setting helped. I changed lots of BIOS & Windows settings. At the moment I am running the latest official audio driver 6.0.1.8531 and have Spatial Sound set to OFF.
Jun 4, 2007
654 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
ilovecanada wrote: for p1/x1e owners, does anyone want to take my Samsung 16gb ram? we am willing to give it away at a good price.
PM Sent...I guess I'll jump on the RAM bandwagon...but geebus....32GB...haha...I better setup a full lab environment on it ;)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8307 upvotes
Brampton
Haven't received my X1E yet but just to clarify. The 16GB 512NVM model has only a single stick of ram unit for the 16GB?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
tebore wrote: Haven't received my X1E yet but just to clarify. The 16GB 512NVM model has only a single stick of ram unit for the 16GB?
Yes, usually.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8307 upvotes
Brampton
ciuvak wrote: Yes, usually.
Welp looks like I better get another 16GB.... you know... to activate dual channel.
May 24, 2018
63 posts
13 upvotes
My X1E just came so far so good.
Except that the fans are awfully strong, and that there seems to be a high pitched coil that everyone else seems to report.

Should I return it?
May 24, 2018
63 posts
13 upvotes
Also, the back light bleeding is ATROCIOUS. I am very unhappy so far.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2248 posts
908 upvotes
Edmonton
My replacement X1 Yoga is still stuck in Louisville KY with no updates... 6 days now.

Lenovo started an investigation with UPS and if they don't find the package within 3 business days they'll be sending me another replacement.
Aug 12, 2015
267 posts
269 upvotes
Concord, ON
Just received my X1E too. Mine also has some bleeding at the right top corner, but nowhere as bad as yours.
May 24, 2018
63 posts
13 upvotes
OKAY, THE MESH IS THE CULPRIT FOR THE COIL WHINING NOISE.

I removed it, and voila my CPU is quiet as a rock!

My theory is that, the motherboard was probably not able to breathe inside because the mesh was covering a lot of the ventilation grills, so the circulation of air is trapped inside, and it's hot hot hot air, so it's making your fan run like crazy.

Now that i took it off, my laptop is running so much smoother now, and a LOT cooler in temperature!
Last edited by mon369 on Dec 14th, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
May 24, 2018
63 posts
13 upvotes
victor158128 wrote: Just received my X1E too. Mine also has some bleeding at the right top corner, but nowhere as bad as yours.
That's great.
I gave my X1E some time to settle down, and decompress from the tight packaging, and the bleeding seems to have subsided. i will try and do the ducktape lift method when I get the chance to and see if it works or not.
I'm starting to be happy with my purchase! :D
Aug 12, 2015
267 posts
269 upvotes
Concord, ON
mon369 wrote: That's great.
I gave my X1E some time to settle down, and decompress from the tight packaging, and the bleeding seems to have subsided. i will try and do the ducktape lift method when I get the chance to and see if it works or not.
I'm starting to be happy with my purchase! :D
For half the price of Macbook Pro 15 or 3/4 the price of XPS 15, I can't complain either.
Feb 8, 2012
409 posts
371 upvotes
mon369 wrote: Also, the back light bleeding is ATROCIOUS. I am very unhappy so far.
Which model is this?
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
mon369 wrote: OKAY, THE MESH IS THE CULPRIT FOR THE COIL WHINING NOISE.

I removed it, and voila my CPU is quiet as a rock!

My theory is that, the motherboard was probably not able to breathe inside because the mesh was covering a lot of the ventilation grills, so the circulation of air is trapped inside, and it's hot hot hot air, so it's making your fan run like crazy.

Now that i took it off, my laptop is running so much smoother now, and a LOT cooler in temperature!
Which mesh is this? Are there instructions to how do it it online? Are you sure it's not needed for something? I don't know why they would add something that causes a problem and not fix it.
May 24, 2018
63 posts
13 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: Which mesh is this? Are there instructions to how do it it online? Are you sure it's not needed for something? I don't know why they would add something that causes a problem and not fix it.
It's the gauze/mesh/screen that is covering the vents in the X1E. And just bad design I guess. They probably put it there to prevent any dust from coming in. But it's causing so much more problem having it than not, because air could not circulate.

Nope just gently remove it, the glue isn't too tight that you'll be able to lift it without much effort.
May 24, 2018
63 posts
13 upvotes
fortesquieu wrote: Which model is this?
X1E 32GB/1TB.
It's fine now, it's still there but less severity now that it had time to settle down from the tight packaging, and it's subsided enough not to bother me.
May 24, 2018
63 posts
13 upvotes
Calibrated my battery and got it to 82 mAh instead of 80. Wonder how much more I can get if I calibrate it one more time? I heard people getting 87-89 after they calibrated theirs.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
mon369 wrote: It's the gauze/mesh/screen that is covering the vents in the X1E. And just bad design I guess. They probably put it there to prevent any dust from coming in. But it's causing so much more problem having it than not, because air could not circulate.

Nope just gently remove it, the glue isn't too tight that you'll be able to lift it without much effort.
So you have to unscrew the back panel and that's it? Will things fall out when I do that?
mon369 wrote: Calibrated my battery and got it to 82 mAh instead of 80. Wonder how much more I can get if I calibrate it one more time? I heard people getting 87-89 after they calibrated theirs.
Using the default tool or did you drain and recharge?
May 24, 2018
63 posts
13 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: So you have to unscrew the back panel and that's it? Will things fall out when I do that?

Using the default tool or did you drain and recharge?
''

Yeah, just unscrew the back panel, and it's literally a screen you just have to peel off. Keep in mind the screws stay on the panel after unscrewing. And no, things will not fall out when you do.

I did a quick drain without any tool. Is there a tool I should try?
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
mon369 wrote: ''

Yeah, just unscrew the back panel, and it's literally a screen you just have to peel off. Keep in mind the screws stay on the panel after unscrewing. And no, things will not fall out when you do.

I did a quick drain without any tool. Is there a tool I should try?
I think in thinvantage there is an option to charge the battery to 95% to 100%. It's set at 95% for normal use but you can set it to 100% if you want maximum battery life.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)