Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4300 posts
397 upvotes
Calgary
Question, is there a Canadian version of the outlet.lenovo.com US site? Want to purchase something from the outlet but they only ship within the USA :(
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4257 posts
1741 upvotes
AB
plucky duck wrote: Question, is there a Canadian version of the outlet.lenovo.com US site? Want to purchase something from the outlet but they only ship within the USA :(
No, there is no official Lenovo Outlet in Canada. There are a few 3rd party re-sellers that sell older Thinkpads, nothing newer.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4300 posts
397 upvotes
Calgary
ciuvak wrote: No, there is no official Lenovo Outlet in Canada. There are a few 3rd party re-sellers that sell older Thinkpads, nothing newer.
Any reputable 3rd party resellers located in Canada you can direct me to? Looking for the X260 Yoga. Thanks! Ebay has a couple of listings for around $1k.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4257 posts
1741 upvotes
AB
plucky duck wrote: Any reputable 3rd party resellers located in Canada you can direct me to? Looking for the X260 Yoga. Thanks! Ebay has a couple of listings for around $1k.
X260 is different than Yoga 260, right? Refurbished or new?
Never used any of 3rd parties, but saw deals posted here from bauersystems and refurb.io. Might not have the model you are looking for, only older models. People also find refurbished Thinkpads on newegg, bestbuy, staples, etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4300 posts
397 upvotes
Calgary
ciuvak wrote: X260 is different than Yoga 260, right? Refurbished or new?
Never used any of 3rd parties, but saw deals posted here from bauersystems and refurb.io. Might not have the model you are looking for, only older models. People also find refurbished Thinkpads on newegg, bestbuy, staples, etc.
My bad I guess technically correct name is Yoga 260. I had a peek in Bauer nothing yet.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Member
Jun 24, 2010
384 posts
93 upvotes
Found some Thinkpad P1 benchmarks in a Korean Youtube video.

I took a couple of screenshots to show the benchmark scores. This is for the Xeon E-2176M model with P2000 Graphics.

Image
Cinebench Multicore Score of 704
OpenGL = 162.31 FPS

Image
3DMark Firestrike = 5841

Image
PC Mark10 = 4741

Image
The SSD speed is super fast. This review unit had 2 PCIe SSDs.

Image
Cooling solution is two heat pipes and two fans.

This is just one test, but the same Xeon and P2000 setup in the P52 gets these scores (for comparison):
Cinebench
  • Multicore: 1081
  • OpenGL: 179 FPS
3DMark Firestrike = 6171

Here is the original video, but it's in Korean, which I don't understand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY3qAfnVYmc

Here is the sample P52 benchmark with the same specs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comme ... 76m_p2000/

So, if this is accurate at all, the results based on Cinebench show that the P52 scores 35% higher. 704 points vs. 1081 points.
However, the GPU scores based on 3DMark Firestrike match up closer. 5841 vs. 6171 points, or within 5%.

I would guess that the differences are based on cooling limitations, more so on the CPU side.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4300 posts
397 upvotes
Calgary
The P52 looks like it can not only hit those numbers but also be able to sustain them much longer with better thermals and bigger chassis.

Weird how we can’t get both the Xeon paired up with the beefier P3200, that’ll be most ideal for power.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Member
Oct 18, 2016
362 posts
202 upvotes
I love Lenovo and Thinkpads and the look of the new Thinkpad X1 Extreme, but F*** ME, who are those prices for? You know IT department's won't be ordering those. That is the laptop that the Dell XPS 9570 should be, unfortunately there's been way too much negative reports which has deterred me from a purchase. I'll be holding out to see what 2019 brings but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It seems like getting a laptop which can game without melting (i.e., 1050Ti territory) or looking like a gamer with its RGB everywhere is still a unicorn! SIGH!
Newbie
May 24, 2018
62 posts
13 upvotes
Does anyone have any opinions about the Ideapad 720s 15'? It's got 79 wah battery compared to X1E's 80, and have the same kind of specs and at max is cheaper than the X1E's base model.

The only downside that I great often is that the screen quality isn't as good and there is some backlight bleeding ay the bottom of the screen.
Sr. Member
Mar 8, 2004
513 posts
79 upvotes
mon369 wrote: Does anyone have any opinions about the Ideapad 720s 15'? It's got 79 wah battery compared to X1E's 80, and have the same kind of specs and at max is cheaper than the X1E's base model.

The only downside that I great often is that the screen quality isn't as good and there is some backlight bleeding ay the bottom of the screen.
I was looking at that Lenovo as well earlier in the year. Couldn’t get past the single USB A only and the lack of other ports. Other than that looks like a good machine with a bit of throttling.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4595 posts
1281 upvotes
I thought computer parts are supposed to be better and cheaper.

Still can't find a better deal than the Lenovo laptop I bought (along with many RFD posters) back in Dec, 2016.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1246 posts
174 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: I thought computer parts are supposed to be better and cheaper.

Still can't find a better deal than the Lenovo laptop I bought (along with many RFD posters) back in Dec, 2016.
Was that the E570?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4595 posts
1281 upvotes
crustydragon wrote: Was that the E570?
Yes, it was. $580 all in. I bought 2. Looking to buy 2 more laptops and have been eyeing the E580 which is about $820 with taxes right now and not as good as the E570.

I know the E570 was a great deal but I thought after 2 yrs something similar near that price would be available by now.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1246 posts
174 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: Yes, it was. $580 all in. I bought 2. Looking to buy 2 more laptops and have been eyeing the E580 which is about $820 with taxes right now and not as good as the E570.

I know the E570 was a great deal but I thought after 2 yrs something similar near that price would be available by now.
I got in on the same deal. That might have been a one-of because if I recall by adding a 256GB SSD instead of the pre-configured HD it actually became lower in price.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4595 posts
1281 upvotes
crustydragon wrote: I got in on the same deal. That might have been a one-of because if I recall by adding a 256GB SSD instead of the pre-configured HD it actually became lower in price.
HDD/SSD was a loop hole but that is just a part of the increased cost.

On the E580, the increased cost from going 500 GB HDD to 256 GB SDD is only $114 plus taxes but difference of E570 vs E580 is ~$240. After 2 yrs, computers parts are supposed to be better and cheaper?

Top