Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4251 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
Any new coupon codes that works with the EPP site guys?

Considering picking up a X380. Too bad we can’t configure it with WWAN, as I understand some other countries have that option.

Still waiting on the X1E, coming all the way from China. Weird how there’s really no reviews out on it yet, one would think larger review sites would get early access to these units. Lenovo’s estimate wait and ship time seems a bit off, not really the 1-3 or 5-7 days they claim.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Mar 23, 2004
37613 posts
4022 upvotes
Markham
you will probably need to wait till BF for a good sale.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
plucky duck wrote:
Sep 8th, 2018 10:10 pm
Any new coupon codes that works with the EPP site guys?

Considering picking up a X380. Too bad we can’t configure it with WWAN, as I understand some other countries have that option.

Still waiting on the X1E, coming all the way from China. Weird how there’s really no reviews out on it yet, one would think larger review sites would get early access to these units. Lenovo’s estimate wait and ship time seems a bit off, not really the 1-3 or 5-7 days they claim.
The shipping time is terribly inaccurate and you could expect it to change. Also, sometimes you won't get the shipment notification until it is already in transit.

Please let me know once you receive it and your thoughts on it. Maybe I will pick one up too. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4251 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
For the price of the 8850H/4K/512gb SSD variant of the X1E I can instead get both the X380 AND the base X1E confit with 8750H/FHD/256gb SSD. We will see just how much I like the 4K HDR screen lol. I hope both x1E’s can arrive in a timely manner for me to test out both.

That 15% Lenovo ebate combo was killer! Hope there’s something similar around Black Friday.

On a side note how easy or hard is it to replace the keyboard down the road? Can it be yanked from the top or must everything be torn out from the bottom chassis? I recall some workstation (Dell?) were about to unscrew a screw from the bottom and lift the whole thing from the top.
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
plucky duck wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 1:34 am
For the price of the 8850H/4K/512gb SSD variant of the X1E I can instead get both the X380 AND the base X1E confit with 8750H/FHD/256gb SSD. We will see just how much I like the 4K HDR screen lol. I hope both x1E’s can arrive in a timely manner for me to test out both.

That 15% Lenovo ebate combo was killer! Hope there’s something similar around Black Friday.

On a side note how easy or hard is it to replace the keyboard down the road? Can it be yanked from the top or must everything be torn out from the bottom chassis? I recall some workstation (Dell?) were about to unscrew a screw from the bottom and lift the whole thing from the top.
On the X1 Carbon/Yoga, the keyboard assembly needs to be accessed from the bottom. X1 Extreme should be similar.

This one is for just the keyboard
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-US-backlit ... 2998230006.

I have seen many including the top cover of the laptop, so not sure which is the official assembly that it comes in.

There's a hardware disassembly manual for every Thinkpad on Lenovo's website. Might have more details there
Jan 18, 2016
125 posts
123 upvotes
Saint-Romuald, QC
Any deal for the Thinkpad E585 I should know of? It's currently starting at $642.60 on the main Lenovo site but isn't available on EPP?
Oct 18, 2016
175 posts
79 upvotes
I'm imagining that this year for Black Friday, instead of the usual E580 with a deep discount it might be their AMD counterparts.

Can anyone if the true Thinkpad guys enlighten us to the new V130 (15) model. It looks a little better speced then the E585 but I'm sure there is a catch somewhere. Couldn't find any good reviews online either.

@quanzi have a look at the Thinkpad V130. The V330 is also there but it jumps quickly to T480 prices.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3518 posts
917 upvotes
perpetuus wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 10:36 pm
That's a good question. I had a Surface Book 2 15" in January. I was so excited about it that I almost went to the US just to pick one up ahead of the Canadian launch.

The Book 2 is great in many ways as a productivity machine. I liked its 15" screen in a very generous 3:2 ratio. This meant that the screen area was actually closer to a 16:9 ratio screen that is something like 16" in size. It was a pleasure to use. Great keyboard, capable speakers, sharp and big screen, and that GTX1060 is perfectly usable. But the real draw of the device is the pen input and tablet usability.

Plus, in real use, I was easily getting 10+ hours of battery life. I could game with it and I could edit photos with it, and there isn't anything else as capable in that category.

However, I don't need the tablet functionality because I genuinely couldn't find the Windows 10 operating system as a great choice for tablet use. (I have an iPad for reading magazines). I also wish it had a 6 core processor, but for something so thin and light, it would never happen. I have a need for a 100% Adobe RGB gamut screen, and the Book 2 was only 100% sRGB, so it was almost perfect, but not quite. The biggest problem though is that my early batch Book 2 had random stuttering and freezing issues. In Performance mode, the laptop would actually lag more than on power saver mode, so something was very wrong with it, and Microsoft didn't know how to fix it. I went through 2 Book 2's and they both had the same problem for me. That was when I finally looked elsewhere.

Other things to note:
1) If you lose either the tablet ("clipboard") or the keyboard, Microsoft would not sell either of those pieces to you separately.
2) A dead battery in either the tablet or the keyboard base costs $500+ to replace when out of warranty. Due to the complexity of the device, Microsoft does not actually replace the batteries, but gives you a new Book 2 with a fresh battery.
3) The weight is reasonably light, but the footprint is quite big because of the 3:2 aspect ratio.
4) If you don't need to use it as a tablet or to draw on it, there are better choices for less money
5) The built-in Samsung SSD is not fast for today's standards. Less than 500 mb/s for the 256GB version I had.

X1 Extreme is too new for me to formulate a good opinnion on. However, since Lenovo has designed this new laptop specifically for the 6 core CPUs (unlike Dell with its XPS 9570), I am hopeful that it should perform better than the XPS does today in terms of performance. Also, it's lighter than the Book 2 and has a better screen (100% Adobe RGB with HDR) and a 6 core i7 CPU. It's an excellent package altogether.

For audio quality - since I never heard of any good quality sound from Thinkpads, I believe the Book 2 is better.

If you don't need a 6 core CPU or dedicated graphics, I really really liked the X1 Carbon with HDR. If I didn't need more power for photo editing and more RAM, then it's the perfect laptop. I believe the screen is even nicer than the new X1 Extreme because it has an even higher contrast ratio. Did I mention it weighs just 2.5 lbs? That's almost half of what a Book 2 or even X1 Extreme with the HDR display.
Have you tried the t480s?
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 12:58 pm
Have you tried the t480s?
I haven’t used one, but unless you need the extra 8gb of ram or the entry level Nvidia graphics card, I would choose the X1 carbon any day of the week. This is especially true with the hdr screen.
Oct 8, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes
Westmount
Im trying to purchase a lenovo 720s 15in on the EPP website, any working applicable coupons? Total would be 1488.xx Tx in factoring Ebates 8% on the regular website.
Oct 18, 2016
175 posts
79 upvotes
I'm also looking at the Lenovo 720s 15" and would love some coupons to bring the price down a bit further since the base model is sold out, and the next bumped up models reduce in value very quickly.

$1000 (or $500 from the highest spec non-4K model) more for a 4K screen? Absurd
May 24, 2018
60 posts
13 upvotes
Customization is now available for the X1E, starting at $2100 base with 1080 non touch and 256GB SSD.

Is the color accuracy of the 1080 as good as the 4k one?
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
mon369 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 4:34 pm
Customization is now available for the X1E, starting at $2100 base with 1080 non touch and 256GB SSD.

Is the color accuracy of the 1080 as good as the 4k one?
Yea, I saw that yesterday too. It's great that the GTX1050TI is included even in the base configuration. Nothing wrong with an i5 since the i7 will be limited in performance by heat limits.

Between the 1080P and the 4K panel- you are losing battery life with the 4K but gaining resolution and touch input. The 1080P panel is not terrible if you don't need to edit photos or do colour critical work. The Adobe RGB coverage on it is 72% vs. 100% for the 4K panel. Also, remember the 4K is a HDR panel with better dynamic range and a wider range of colours. Adobe RGB doesn't cover all of the colours our eyes can see, but 100% coverage of it is still better than 72%.

For me, I don't have a choice because I need to edit and review photos on the screen. The 4K panel reproduces more of the colour range that was captured in the original photo, which makes editing for colour easier. I.e. I need to distinguish between turquoise blue vs. coral blue so that I could edit the photo's colours more accurately for print.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4251 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
Mine just came in today.

Quick notes, as I've only spent half an hour with it thus far.
- the 4K HDR panel is nice, but the QHD HDR on the X1C I find is superior, slightly better colors.
- the thermals on the X1E is better than the X1C, with its dual fan set up.
- the fan is on the back and does tend to send hot air upwards towards the screen a bit
- Single/Multicore score is 4921/18853, fares much better than Dell XPS 9575's 3930/11545 and X1C's 4951/13480
- for reference my 2011 27" iMac top spec gets Single/Multicore of 3693/11909
- the 512GB SSD is a Samsung drive, benchmarks come in at 2245MB/s seq read and 1763MB/s seq write.
- the screen panel has uniform brightness, no dark spots, no dead or stuck pixels.
- the screen is a notch below the QHD HDR, from my layman's untrained eye, but still very nice screen.
- noticeably heavier and thicker body than the X1C, still very manageable and portable.
- keyboard is not as clicky as the one I used on the X1C, but not a deal breaker, still has the signature Thinkpad keyboard feel.
- subconsciously I was reaching for the non-existent Thinkpad nub on the Dell XPS, I seem to rely on that more than I think. I am hooked!
- the Dell XPS 9575 has a really slow wifi card, it takes almost twice as long to download a 8GB file than it does on the X1E, with nothing else happening on the wifi network.

Have the FHD version coming in shortly, if I like that screen enough I'll pocket the $1000 difference and get myself a X260 Yoga to compliment the X1E.
May 24, 2018
60 posts
13 upvotes
plucky duck wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 4:15 pm
Mine just came in today.

Quick notes, as I've only spent half an hour with it thus far.
- the 4K HDR panel is nice, but the QHD HDR on the X1C I find is superior, slightly better colors.
- the thermals on the X1E is better than the X1C, with its dual fan set up.
- the fan is on the back and does tend to send hot air upwards towards the screen a bit
- Single/Multicore score is 4921/18853, fares much better than Dell XPS 9575's 3930/11545 and X1C's 4951/13480
- for reference my 2011 27" iMac top spec gets Single/Multicore of 3693/11909
- the 512GB SSD is a Samsung drive, benchmarks come in at 2245MB/s seq read and 1763MB/s seq write.
- the screen panel has uniform brightness, no dark spots, no dead or stuck pixels.
- the screen is a notch below the QHD HDR, from my layman's untrained eye, but still very nice screen.
- noticeably heavier and thicker body than the X1C, still very manageable and portable.
- keyboard is not as clicky as the one I used on the X1C, but not a deal breaker, still has the signature Thinkpad keyboard feel.
- subconsciously I was reaching for the non-existent Thinkpad nub on the Dell XPS, I seem to rely on that more than I think. I am hooked!
- the Dell XPS 9575 has a really slow wifi card, it takes almost twice as long to download a 8GB file than it does on the X1E, with nothing else happening on the wifi network.

Have the FHD version coming in shortly, if I like that screen enough I'll pocket the $1000 difference and get myself a X260 Yoga to compliment the X1E.
That's great! That's a little disappointing regarding the screen however.
In regards to audio and speakers.. are they any good? Earphones?
And how is the battery life?

I'm deciding if I should buy it this holidays, or just wait until maybe next year to see if the prices go down a bit.