[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4247 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
mon369 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 7:58 pm
That's great! That's a little disappointing regarding the screen however.
In regards to audio and speakers.. are they any good? Earphones?
And how is the battery life?

I'm deciding if I should buy it this holidays, or just wait until maybe next year to see if the prices go down a bit.
If you feel you need it now then do the sensible thing and wait til Black Friday to pick one up, otherwise we all know how the waiting game goes.

Honestly if I didn’t see the X1C HDR screen I would be just as amazed at the X1E screen. Don’t want to take anything away from the 4K display, it’s still amazing just not as eye popping with saturated colours. The difference in perceived quality may be due to the X1C having a thicker layer of gloss and the glass surface on the X1E having less?
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4247 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
Some numbers I ran on XTU. Systems seems stable at -0.07v underclock.

A minor thing to note. The low light and high light on the keyboard backlight on the X1E is at the sweet spot in terms of luminance, it doesn't sting your eyes like the X1C did as I found it too bright. Both levels of brightness on the X1E are pretty easy on the eyes. Just an FYI for those who work in the dark, like Batman :P

The X1E, at load, even short spurts will cause your legs to warm up to uncomfortable levels. These computers are really meant for on the desk use, not extended sessions on your lap.
Images
  • CF17B818-6EB8-462D-9FB0-48D7BE1370DC.jpeg
  • 76308B06-D4C3-417A-BFC9-5D529AE1F200.jpeg
  • 1194EC5C-3A43-4D73-902D-EF01474F79EE.jpeg
  • 9A2DFFFB-BD4D-4C18-B0E8-FC10C1E24A12.jpeg
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3679 posts
1239 upvotes
AB
plucky duck wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 8:18 am
The X1E, at load, even short spurts will cause your legs to warm up to uncomfortable levels. These computers are really meant for on the desk use, not extended sessions on your lap.
or buy one of these lap desks from Costco:
Oct 7, 2017
176 posts
60 upvotes
THanks . Looking for a new thinkpad. I bought a Thinkpad T500 9 years ago and it's time to replace.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4300 posts
1091 upvotes
Just got an Lenovo email about a flash sale - laptops for every budget.

No effect on the E580 I have been eyeing though. LOL.

I seem to be getting a Lenovo promo email every couple of days but nothing of substance.

They advertise a decent price with nice specs but if you take a closer look, the advertised specs are "up to xxx". Customize and get the better specs, price starts to go up. LOL.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4247 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
Speedy1 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 12:26 pm
Just got an Lenovo email about a flash sale - laptops for every budget.

No effect on the E580 I have been eyeing though. LOL.

I seem to be getting a Lenovo promo email every couple of days but nothing of substance.

They advertise a decent price with nice specs but if you take a closer look, the advertised specs are "up to xxx". Customize and get the better specs, price starts to go up. LOL.
Eventually they will sucker you into one, oh don't you worry ;)

Another tidbit to add to the X1E good-to-know is the sdcard slot performance. Threw in my Sony U3 SDXC card that's rated for 94MB/s and it transferred 8GB worth of photos at around 86MB/s. Don't really have a faster card to test the limits of the card slot. Having a full size sdcard slot is very convenient I must say!
Dec 10, 2017
214 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
I was looking for a new laptop and need one ASAP .. can't wait months. Only have my phone and work laptop ATM but I can't use that for everything.

Is the x1c with i7-8550u, 16gb ram, 256ssd and hdr qhd screen worth 1690? How much cheaper would I expect this to get if I could wait .. and any other interesting options around this price point?
Stay Frosty'
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
plucky duck wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 8:18 am
Some numbers I ran on XTU. Systems seems stable at -0.07v underclock.

A minor thing to note. The low light and high light on the keyboard backlight on the X1E is at the sweet spot in terms of luminance, it doesn't sting your eyes like the X1C did as I found it too bright. Both levels of brightness on the X1E are pretty easy on the eyes. Just an FYI for those who work in the dark, like Batman :P

Thanks for sharing these results! Did you run this with insufficient cooling? The Intel XTU score looks too low to be true. When I had the X1C, it was 1085. My XPS 9570 was ~1500 points.

Some other scores:
P52 i7-8850H is ~ 1750
P52 Xeon E-2176M ~ 1980

All of the above are getting similar clock speeds and temperatures at those scores. I think the i7-8850 should be ~1600 to ~1800 points or so.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4247 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
I was just advised from a local guy who has connections with Lenovo sales that at least the X1E 4K configuration will be on sale for around $2600 instead of $3600 come first week of Oct, hoping his source is correct. Good to know for those considering the Extreme.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4247 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
perpetuus wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 3:56 pm
Thanks for sharing these results! Did you run this with insufficient cooling? The Intel XTU score looks too low to be true. When I had the X1C, it was 1085. My XPS 9570 was ~1500 points.

Some other scores:
P52 i7-8850H is ~ 1750
P52 Xeon E-2176M ~ 1980

All of the above are getting similar clock speeds and temperatures at those scores. I think the i7-8850 should be ~1600 to ~1800 points or so.
I did have it run on my lap. But I redid the test just now on a table with the same results. The system is set up for best performance before running XTU already. Hmmm...
May 24, 2018
60 posts
13 upvotes
plucky duck wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 7:44 pm
I was just advised from a local guy who has connections with Lenovo sales that at least the X1E 4K configuration will be on sale for around $2600 instead of $3600 come first week of Oct, hoping his source is correct. Good to know for those considering the Extreme.
Nice! I am hoping we are also able to stack other discounts as well.
I went to CC and got to check out the X1C in person. And I am a little underwhelmed with what I saw first hand. I can't put my finger exactly what bothers me about it but it's helpful to say it's the 1080 on display so the colors don't pop out as I wanted to and it is of course just a demo unit.

Side by side comparison with the GS65 laptop, I would go for the GS65 because omg it has a 1070. But... This laptop doesn't support TB charging so therefore charging time is gonna be slow(?) which is an automatic no no for me. The reason why I want to get the X1E is that even though I may only get 7-8 hours with it, the fast charging will definitely become really advantageous and will overcome the downsides of the battery life.

I am so frigging excited if that's true!
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
mon369 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 8:43 pm
Nice! I am hoping we are also able to stack other discounts as well.
I went to CC and got to check out the X1C in person. And I am a little underwhelmed with what I saw first hand. I can't put my finger exactly what bothers me about it but it's helpful to say it's the 1080 on display so the colors don't pop out as I wanted to and it is of course just a demo unit.

Side by side comparison with the GS65 laptop, I would go for the GS65 because omg it has a 1070. But... This laptop doesn't support TB charging so therefore charging time is gonna be slow(?) which is an automatic no no for me. The reason why I want to get the X1E is that even though I may only get 7-8 hours with it, the fast charging will definitely become really advantageous and will overcome the downsides of the battery life.

I am so frigging excited if that's true!
The smooth fluidity of the GS65’s 144Hz display is easily noticeable and excellent for gaming. I really liked it too, even the version with a GTX1060.
1080P on the X1C is not the way to go imo. We spend way too much time looking at the display when we use our laptops.

I’m going to keep an eye out for the X1E too Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
krn905 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 3:52 pm
I was looking for a new laptop and need one ASAP .. can't wait months. Only have my phone and work laptop ATM but I can't use that for everything.

Is the x1c with i7-8550u, 16gb ram, 256ssd and hdr qhd screen worth 1690? How much cheaper would I expect this to get if I could wait .. and any other interesting options around this price point?
I don’t think it’ll necessarily get much cheaper for the customized versions. Usually the preconfigured selections offer the best value. A fully loaded X1C with i7-8650u and 1TB SSD and HDR display is “only” $2100.

You might want to consider the i5-8350u as well, but keep in mind that the 256gb ssds bundled with these thinkpads are not really that fast compared to the 1TB versions. So, expect to spend another $200 on a good SSD if you care about snappy performance. I know from experience because I had a X1C with a Lenovo branded 256gb ssd and then later a X1C with 1TB Samsung SSD bundled. Night and day difference. There’s also the Huawei Matebook X and the Surface Pro in this price range. I quite liked the X1C with HDR display and am convinced that it’s the best laptop display you could get right now. The speakers are not great, but it’s lightweight and a joy to carry around and use. I used to carry it around with my iPad Pro 12.9” because it’s just that light.
Dec 10, 2017
214 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
perpetuus wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 9:57 pm
I don’t think it’ll necessarily get much cheaper for the customized versions. Usually the preconfigured selections offer the best value. A fully loaded X1C with i7-8650u and 1TB SSD and HDR display is “only” $2100.

You might want to consider the i5-8350u as well, but keep in mind that the 256gb ssds bundled with these thinkpads are not really that fast compared to the 1TB versions. So, expect to spend another $200 on a good SSD if you care about snappy performance. I know from experience because I had a X1C with a Lenovo branded 256gb ssd and then later a X1C with 1TB Samsung SSD bundled. Night and day difference. There’s also the Huawei Matebook X and the Surface Pro in this price range. I quite liked the X1C with HDR display and am convinced that it’s the best laptop display you could get right now. The speakers are not great, but it’s lightweight and a joy to carry around and use. I used to carry it around with my iPad Pro 12.9” because it’s just that light.
Thanks for the feedback.

I picked the small SSD as I see prices dropping, pretty much everything is loaded except SSD and i7 cpu bump and it's $500 cheaper. A 1tb SSD would be what, $250 now?

I do need to watch my budget and I tend not to use too much storage so figured it was best value there.. I wanted the hdr screen and the i7 isn't much more than i5-8350, not sure what's better here

Matebook looks good just upset it's price raised, and surface pro is okay but I don't know if I want a tablet keyboard thing I prefer traditional laptop. And I want 8th gen so no sb2?
Stay Frosty'
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
krn905 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 10:41 pm
Thanks for the feedback.

I picked the small SSD as I see prices dropping, pretty much everything is loaded except SSD and i7 cpu bump and it's $500 cheaper. A 1tb SSD would be what, $250 now?

I do need to watch my budget and I tend not to use too much storage so figured it was best value there.. I wanted the hdr screen and the i7 isn't much more than i5-8350, not sure what's better here

Matebook looks good just upset it's price raised, and surface pro is okay but I don't know if I want a tablet keyboard thing I prefer traditional laptop. And I want 8th gen so no sb2?
The way I see it - the HDR screen is a must. If the i7-8550U is not that much more money, it's worthwhile because you can't swap out the CPU. Same goes for the RAM here. The SSD you could always put in a new one as prices drop. The stock Lenovo 256GB won't cripple your system, but it's just not great in relative terms.

For SSD, I bought a XPG SX8200 500GB SSD for ~$150. It's one of the top choices right now and if you don't need a lot of space, then it's a good choice since the random read/write speeds are excellent. Random read/write is even more important than straight-up sustained transfer speeds for 90% of people and gives you real performance boost.

Surface products are nice but I can't recommend one for general use. You are paying a premium for the tablet functionality, which under Windows 10 isn't really a great experience. That's why I have an ipad for all things tablet, like watching movies or reading digital magazines on it. Matebook is well-rounded. Good speakers, good screen, and good keyboard, but I have no personal experience with it like with the X1C or Surface Book 2 15". Also, the Surface pro kickstand is cool, but it's more of a novelty IMO and is a nuisance for lap use.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

LDNA