Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2581 posts
665 upvotes
Vaughan
If anyone is looking for a good + cheap desktop, just ordered the following M720s config for a friend. Amazing deal in my opinion:

ThinkCentre M720s
Part Number: 10STCTO1WW

Configuration Details
• Processor : 8th Generation Intel Core i3-8100 (3.60GHz, 6MB Cache)
• Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
• Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
• Form Factor : 85% 210Watt Power supply unit
• Memory : 8GB (4GB + 4GB) DDR4 2666MHz
• Video Adapter : Integrated Intel HD Graphic card
• First Hard Drive : 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 3.5", SATA3
• M.2 Storage Card : 256GB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVME Opal, M.2
• Optical Device : Slim DVD-RW Multiburner
• Networking : Integrated Intel Gigabit Ethernet
• WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters : Intel 8265 802.11AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 4.2
• Memory Card Reader : 7 in 1 Card Reader
• Keyboard : Black USB Traditional Keyboard - English
• Pointing Device : USB Mouse - Black
• Speakers : Internal Speaker
• Vertical Stand : Vertical Stand
• Publications Pack : Publication English
• Warranty : 1 Year On-site

Sale Price: $568.00

Items included:
3Y Onsite upgrade from 1Y Onsite
$58.50

Cart Summary
Item Subtotal: $626.50
Nov 17, 2007
201 posts
13 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Surprise. The model X1 Extreme 20MF000BUS is no longer available. I was eyeing on it and waiting for "better" deal.
Mar 23, 2013
43 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Is this a good deal ? The i5-8400 seems to be terrific performance for the money. I can add a 75W GPU later.

M720 Tower - $612

Processor : 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8400 (2.80GHz, up to 4.00GHz with Turbo Boost, 9MB Cache)
Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
Form Factor : 85% 210Watt Power supply unit
Memory : 8GB DDR4 2666MHz
Video Adapter : Integrated Intel HD Graphic card
M.2 Storage Card : 256GB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVME Opal, M.2
Optical Device : Slim DVD-RW Multiburner
Networking : Integrated Intel Gigabit Ethernet
WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters : Intel 8265 802.11AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 4.2
Card Reader : 7 in 1 Card Reader
Keyboard : Black USB Traditional Keyboard - English
Pointing Device : USB Mouse - Black
Speakers : Internal Speaker
Publications Pack : Publication English
Warranty : 1 Year On-site
Mar 23, 2013
43 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I just ordered - it is 33% off and 6% ebates. I created a quote in EPP, purchased via ebates link - hope I get the ebate.

M720S - $604 (reg $906)

Processor : 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8400 (2.80GHz, up to 4.00GHz with Turbo Boost, 9MB Cache)
Memory : 8GB (4GB + 4GB) DDR4 2666MHz
Memory Card Reader : 7 in 1 Card Reader
Vertical Stand : Vertical Stand
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
plucky duck wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 12:00 pm
Look forward to what you think of the P52 perpetuus, especially the thermal throttling and the display. If you get a chance to open the bottom panel would you be able to tell if there's actually any WWAN antennaes pre-installed? Not hopeful since WWAN isn't even an option under configuration.

This machine is pretty solid. It's not light, but it does feel like a tank.

To answer your question, the WWAN antennas and the SIM card slot for LTE is already pre-installed. You really just need a WWAN card to use those features.

The offset keyboard takes a bit of getting used to, and my particular unit is hitting 100C in Intel XTU with a score of just 800. This is not normal since other users I talked to are getting 1800+ points. I need to check with Lenovo on this.

Also, take a look at the inner roll cage. It's extremely sturdy and there is a lot of buffer space inside. I am confident that you could run over this laptop with a car and it would still continue to function. The space for the Wifi card is big enough to stack 3 Wifi cards on top of each other. Same with the WWAN slot.

Since you ordered with 8GB of ram, you'll find it preinstalled under the keyboard.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4236 posts
365 upvotes
Calgary
That's great to hear about the WWAN antennas preinstalled. Wait, how did you manage to get the keyboard removed, I thought it requires a special tool? I am assuming the 8GB is a single SODIMM? The display has a glass front? How's the gloss on the display? How's fan noise?

Mine should be here next Tuesday.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
plucky duck wrote:
Oct 14th, 2018 12:54 pm
That's great to hear about the WWAN antennas preinstalled. Wait, how did you manage to get the keyboard removed, I thought it requires a special tool? I am assuming the 8GB is a single SODIMM? The display has a glass front? How's the gloss on the display? How's fan noise?

Mine should be here next Tuesday.

It's relatively easy to remove the keyboard. Use a guitar pick or a credit card and slip it under the left and right trackpad buttons adjacent to the keyboard. Slip the guitar pick in from the touchpad side and pry off both the left and right touchpad buttons.

Underneath, you will find two silver Philips screws that you need to loosen. Next, use a flathead screwdriver in the two slots as shown in the manual and push towards the screen side. You could also try to push the keyboard towards the screen using a credit card. See more here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P ... -p/4153684

The screen is more glossy than the X1C, but it doesn't bother me because it's bright. Fan noise are not something that I hear a lot of. Yes, single 8GB SODIMM.

I read today that the Intel XTU scores are highly memory dependent. The fact that this configuration comes with 1x 8GB in single channel probably doesn't help it at all. It's still running hot though so I am going to check with Lenovo.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1089 posts
141 upvotes
techtrader wrote:
Oct 14th, 2018 9:56 am
I just ordered - it is 33% off and 6% ebates. I created a quote in EPP, purchased via ebates link - hope I get the ebate.

M720S - $604 (reg $906)

Memory : 8GB (4GB + 4GB) DDR4 2666MHz
Memory Card Reader : 7 in 1 Card Reader
Vertical Stand : Vertical Stand
8% if you go through the app (maybe today only though)
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
So I took apart the P52 and repasted it with some standard Noctua thermal paste. The stock paste wasn't applied very well at all and was way too thick. Now it no longer throttles whatsoever. Max temp is 93C in Intel XTU. Idles at around 55C and fans are quiet. Improvements will be seen with better thermal paste.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1089 posts
141 upvotes
perpetuus wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 7:34 pm
So I took apart the P52 and repasted it with some standard Noctua thermal paste. The stock paste wasn't applied very well at all and was way too thick. Now it no longer throttles whatsoever. Max temp is 93C in Intel XTU. Idles at around 55C and fans are quiet. Improvements will be seen with better thermal paste.
I know P52 and X1E are different machines but having used both do you prefer one over the other? I tried pricing them out and if configured similarly the price difference isn’t that big.

Thanks!
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
crustydragon wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 11:13 pm
I know P52 and X1E are different machines but having used both do you prefer one over the other? I tried pricing them out and if configured similarly the price difference isn’t that big.

Thanks!

I haven't actually used a X1E yet, but that's only because I refuse to pay ~ $3K for the configuration I need with 100% adobe RGB display. The P52 I have has twice the GPU performance, literally, and costs much less. If the price difference was within $400, then it may seem more worthwhile IMO. This is from my perspective where I don't commute with this laptop at all, and it's a secondary computer.

You can get the full performance out of the P52, but you can't out of the X1E unless you use some fancy liquid metal thermal paste, which is ~ 4 to 5 times better heat transfer than the stock paste and not recommended for the normal user because of how easily you could destroy your laptop.

Now, for the P52, I don't think any normal user actually needs this much power in a laptop, but it's there if you need it. It's big, somewhat clunky, and weighs 7.5 to 8 lbs for the 4K display model if you include both the P52 and the power adapter (I just weighed it tonight). With the X1E, you will have a laptop+power adapter package that weighs 5 to 5.5 pounds, so it is lighter for sure. The P52 4K display is identical to the X1E/P1 4K display. It's a nice, crisp display, but the HDR display in the X1C is still miles better, if that matters.

The P52 will last you a LONG time. Will you use all of its 4 ram slots? Maybe not. Will you ever fill up all 2 NVME SSD and 1 HDD/Sata SSD drive bay? Maybe not. It's an overkill machine for most people. It is also a tank. I speak from my experience dismantling this entire laptop yesterday and found lots of reinforcements and an actual metal roll cage inside. I take good care of my laptops, but it's nice to know that the robust build is there.

X1E is great if you want something between a X1C and P52 both in terms of power and portability. If you don't need 4K and am happy with the 1080P model and don't need the full performance of the 6-core CPU, the X1E is a good choice.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1089 posts
141 upvotes
perpetuus wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 12:15 am
I haven't actually used a X1E yet, but that's only because I refuse to pay ~ $3K for the configuration I need with 100% adobe RGB display. The P52 I have has twice the GPU performance, literally, and costs much less. If the price difference was within $400, then it may seem more worthwhile IMO. This is from my perspective where I don't commute with this laptop at all, and it's a secondary computer.

You can get the full performance out of the P52, but you can't out of the X1E unless you use some fancy liquid metal thermal paste, which is ~ 4 to 5 times better heat transfer than the stock paste and not recommended for the normal user because of how easily you could destroy your laptop.

Now, for the P52, I don't think any normal user actually needs this much power in a laptop, but it's there if you need it. It's big, somewhat clunky, and weighs 7.5 to 8 lbs for the 4K display model if you include both the P52 and the power adapter (I just weighed it tonight). With the X1E, you will have a laptop+power adapter package that weighs 5 to 5.5 pounds, so it is lighter for sure. The P52 4K display is identical to the X1E/P1 4K display. It's a nice, crisp display, but the HDR display in the X1C is still miles better, if that matters.

The P52 will last you a LONG time. Will you use all of its 4 ram slots? Maybe not. Will you ever fill up all 2 NVME SSD and 1 HDD/Sata SSD drive bay? Maybe not. It's an overkill machine for most people. It is also a tank. I speak from my experience dismantling this entire laptop yesterday and found lots of reinforcements and an actual metal roll cage inside. I take good care of my laptops, but it's nice to know that the robust build is there.

X1E is great if you want something between a X1C and P52 both in terms of power and portability. If you don't need 4K and am happy with the 1080P model and don't need the full performance of the 6-core CPU, the X1E is a good choice.
Appreciate your thoughtful comments!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4236 posts
365 upvotes
Calgary
The P52 is definitely overkill, but for a stationary secondary machine you get much more value in terms of raw power and expand ability, undercuts the pricing of the X1E.

The fans are not easily accessible on the P52, I imagine you had to really tear everything apart to do the repaste.

The Dell XPS 9575 4K display is stunning, very close to what the X1C HDR offers.

Any hardcore testing done after the repaste? Results? Much quieter? Can’t wait to pickup mine tomorrow!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4236 posts
365 upvotes
Calgary
Getting around the same XTU score, around 800. The X1E was able to reach slightly over 1000, not sure if it's thermals or the single channel ram that's causing the difference.

The 4K display is vibrant and crisp, but still doesn't compare to the X1C HDR. The bezel is fairly large, but being black and with the glass front it fades into the background in actual usage, not an issue for me. The keyboard doesn't have that deep travel feel as the X380, but still quite clicky, feels like I won the keyboard lottery here. The X1C keyboard was quite mushy, noticeable difference amongst the various keyboard manufacturers. Fan noise is much different compared to the X1E. The fan noise on the P52 is low humming, even when it's moving a lot of air. The fan noise on the X1E in comparison ramps up very fast and noticeably louder, a much higher pitch. Feels like the HDD is causing mouse stuttering as programs are loading, definitely a set back and not suitable for hosting OS and applications, better suited for storage needs. Scaling is set to 200% and display remains very sharp and crisp. The larger chassis is pleasant to work with on the lap as you can barely feel it getting warm, whereas the X1C and X1E are sperm killers.
Images
  • P52 Cinebench.PNG
  • p52 GEEKBENCH GPU.PNG
  • P52 GEEKBENCH.PNG
  • P52 XTU.PNG
Feb 12, 2008
163 posts
15 upvotes
Hey guys, what code do I use to access the employee purchase program?