Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Mar 10, 2008
459 posts
167 upvotes
Quebec City
Quick question. I assume you last posters know the P52 pretty well. It is easy to add an m.2 nvme ssd by yourself after buying the laptop without it? Would the warranty still be valid?

Thanks!
Jun 24, 2010
299 posts
84 upvotes
Arky33 wrote: Quick question. I assume you last posters know the P52 pretty well. It is easy to add an m.2 nvme ssd by yourself after buying the laptop without it? Would the warranty still be valid?

Thanks!
Very easy. A couple of screws to remove the bottom access panel will let you get to the 2x M.2 slots, 1x 2.5" HDD/SSD bay, and 2x ram slots. The other two ram slots are under the keyboard.

Warranty is not affected since it was designed for self upgrades by the user.
Mar 10, 2008
459 posts
167 upvotes
Quebec City
perpetuus wrote: Very easy. A couple of screws to remove the bottom access panel will let you get to the 2x M.2 slots, 1x 2.5" HDD/SSD bay, and 2x ram slots. The other two ram slots are under the keyboard.

Warranty is not affected since it was designed for self upgrades by the user.
That was my assumption, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks a lot!
Jun 24, 2010
299 posts
84 upvotes
ciuvak wrote: Thanks. I'm in no rush but planing to get a 4k X1E or P1 as soon as price is discounted around 30% off or better. CPU, RAM and ssd doesn't matter, will get the most basic config possible.
You can now configure the 4K display on any of the P1 and X1E build-to-order configurations. P1 is "$1,000 off". Good price on the Xeon version for $2,300, but Lenovo wants close to $600 for a 4K display upgrade.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4309 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
A quick crappy image comparison of how the X1C stacks up against the P52. One has an S-curve, and the other so much protein, so to speak Grinning Face
Images
  • 62698886-42E4-43CA-A193-A28CDEFE7F94.jpeg
  • 578259FB-3FF5-4B9F-A01A-42E175C91D23.jpeg
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Jun 24, 2010
299 posts
84 upvotes
chongsen wrote: The performance between 2176m and 8850h are pretty close though.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 3247vs3242
Users in Reddit are reporting that the GTX1050Ti combined with the i7 in the X1E runs a bit hotter than the P1 with Xeon and Quadro. May not necessarily be worth the price difference between the two machines right now. Repasting with liquid metal will resolve much of the concern. I suspect most people won't want to spend the money on ECC ram on the Xeon P1 either because of the higher price.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4309 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
The P72 is now available for sale, and configurable.

The X1C WQHD with 150% scaling is very sharp, with brightness turned all the way up enough to blind you, haven't noticed any dark spots or corners, no dead pixels either. The 256GB SSD is a Toshiba, attached ATTO benchmark scores. The fan behaviour is as expected, quiet with light computing, and on while under load and ramps down quickly after, nothing crazy like the X1E's jet engine. Under load, then bottom chassis does get pretty hot, as expected for such a thin chassis.

More pics of the X1C and P52. They compliment each other quite well.
Images
  • ATTO SSD BENCHMARK.PNG
  • 4104FBEC-4748-4C6B-BA14-00E30DA1D0B4.jpeg
  • FF6C2B9F-D3C9-4FA6-B11A-5F5F4088DAD2.jpeg
  • B1EE8952-F5D7-4ABE-8D83-794AF51244A9.jpeg
  • CBDA3576-04BD-4EE8-A362-D840BFBDAF57.jpeg
  • 2D55BA3D-87AB-46AE-BE66-F8EE048DD762.jpeg
  • DB41C227-5C62-4470-91B7-B6F91658AC76.jpeg
Dec 30, 2009
170 posts
25 upvotes
Montreal
I noticed today that the Thinkpad L580 is at 940$ with the following specs:
  • I5-8250u
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 256GB M2 SSD
  • 1928*1080 IPS screen.
  • Win 10 Pro
I'm looking for a machine for day-to-day usage and for software development. 16GB of RAM is almost a must, so I would need to upgrade this machine with another memory stick.

Is this a good price? Can you easily upgrade the memory on the L580? Is it better to get something more home-oriented and probably cheaper?

Thanks.
Apr 19, 2007
150 posts
4 upvotes
uber_uter wrote: I'm thinking of getting a T480 at 33% off through EPP. Do you guys think it's likely to be even better during Black Friday?
The consensus seems to be that BF will have better price but not sure how much and which configuration.

I am interested in either the T480 (20L5001EUS) or T580 (20L9001HUS) at the EPP price of $1679.34. Both models have the i7-8650u with 16GB and 512GB SSD. Will go for whichever one has the better BF deal.

Still not sure how to get eBates discount in combination with EPP price.
May 19, 2017
262 posts
120 upvotes
cdencore wrote: ...

Still not sure how to get eBates discount in combination with EPP price.
Very YMMV. Tried that via EPP and while it showed on my ebates, I didn't get the credit. After asking ebates to investigate, they came back with the following reply weeks later.

It has been determined by Lenovo that this order was made through a Solutions Sub-site including: Large Enterprise, State & Local Government, Federal Government, Healthcare, K-12 Education, Higher Education, Students, Partner Portal, Military Portal, Affinity Discount Program, Lenovo/IBM/Motorola Employee Purchase Programs (EPP), Lenovo Corporate Employee Purchase Programs (CEPP) and Lenovo Member Purchase Program (MPP). order which is excluded from earning Cash Back. Therefore, Cash Back cannot be added to your account. You can find this information on our Lenovo page at: https://www.ebates.ca/lenovo-canada
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4309 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
GBUalways wrote: Very YMMV. Tried that via EPP and while it showed on my ebates, I didn't get the credit. After asking ebates to investigate, they came back with the following reply weeks later.

It has been determined by Lenovo that this order was made through a Solutions Sub-site including: Large Enterprise, State & Local Government, Federal Government, Healthcare, K-12 Education, Higher Education, Students, Partner Portal, Military Portal, Affinity Discount Program, Lenovo/IBM/Motorola Employee Purchase Programs (EPP), Lenovo Corporate Employee Purchase Programs (CEPP) and Lenovo Member Purchase Program (MPP). order which is excluded from earning Cash Back. Therefore, Cash Back cannot be added to your account. You can find this information on our Lenovo page at: https://www.ebates.ca/lenovo-canada
It is very YMMV. I've had 3 of 5 Lenovo EPP orders go through fine with ebates, but two didn't. Ebates doesn't apply to gift card purchases normally either, but years ago I had 20% ebates cash back on gift card purchases, so that was a nice surprise.
Jun 24, 2010
299 posts
84 upvotes
plucky duck wrote: It is very YMMV. I've had 3 of 5 Lenovo EPP orders go through fine with ebates, but two didn't. Ebates doesn't apply to gift card purchases normally either, but years ago I had 20% ebates cash back on gift card purchases, so that was a nice surprise.
I am going to enjoy my P52 in the corner here Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Liquid metal repaste has to wait because of the Canada Post strike.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4309 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
perpetuus wrote: I am going to enjoy my P52 in the corner here Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Liquid metal repaste has to wait because of the Canada Post strike.
Maybe you should post a how-to video of the repaste job in the P52 while you’re at it, get a few hits on YouTube and get rich off of the procedure, heh. But seriously though I would like to see how involved it actually is and be able to admire the chassis “naked”. Saw a video on how to do it on the X1C and appears very simple.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)