Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
ilovecanada wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 6:12 pm
Yes please let us know, the single stick in that link matches all specs hopefully it will work..
Opened mine up and can 100% confirm mine is Samsung ram.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3767 posts
1304 upvotes
AB
The RAM on X1E & P1 only runs at 2400MHz, so no reason to buy 2666MHz RAM.
If you check the Platform Specifications documents (PSREF P1 & X1E), you'll see this:

So that opens more options, for example something like this should work: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6820232155
7500 free Supercharger kms on a new Tesla!
Jun 4, 2007
414 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Just my 2cents...working as IT Infrastructure Admin for last 18 years....I really think 32GB RAM is ALOT for the notebook....my home lab vCenter server had 16GB and I ran 10VMs on it....but whatever you need. I figure with the NVME in there...Swapping will be negligible at best...but of course depends on your workload...3D modelling sure as 3D max loves RAM...same for photoshop...compiling. Windows 10 ram disk shouldn't be a slow down really....but time will tell.

I think I can wait for the time being...unless I fire up a full LAB environment on it...which I might in 6 months.
Feb 6, 2017
991 posts
460 upvotes
The metal liquid cooling solution seems pretty cool (no pun intended), I have an older Dell Latitude ultrabook that the annoying fan goes on quite frequently due to overheating , so going to apply it on this first. If it works well, I may move onto an older Lenovo W510, then finally the P1. I want to have this down pat before applying it on the P1. I hope that the liquid is sufficient to apply to multiple laptops, does it come with extra nozzles?

Thanks to Perpetuus, I'm going to start ordering the material and make a near future project!
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3767 posts
1304 upvotes
AB
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 10:46 am
Whoaaa! Looks like the party may be over for RFDers going forward :(
Glad to have gotten in on the P1 as my last hurrah with EPP!
It's a completely different page. I think he was trying to show an example of a portal for actual employees with probably larger discounts. You can see that page is titled "Lenovo EPP" and there there are instructions for Lenovo Employees. The old page we've been using is titled "IBM Friends EPP". It might be restored with a new password or not, nobody knows, but it would not be replaced by an Employee only page.
Feb 6, 2017
991 posts
460 upvotes
g00f wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 10:52 am
Just my 2cents...working as IT Infrastructure Admin for last 18 years....I really think 32GB RAM is ALOT for the notebook....my home lab vCenter server had 16GB and I ran 10VMs on it....but whatever you need. I figure with the NVME in there...Swapping will be negligible at best...but of course depends on your workload...3D modelling sure as 3D max loves RAM...same for photoshop...compiling. Windows 10 ram disk shouldn't be a slow down really....but time will tell.

I think I can wait for the time being...unless I fire up a full LAB environment on it...which I might in 6 months.
I agree. I suppose that I could simulate my entire work lab environment but then again, I'm not that conscientious lol. I'll just get the lab folks there to spin me up some VMs in the test environment if needed. As for my regular day to day activities and even multitasking, I really don't have a need for more than 16gb of ram.
Feb 6, 2017
991 posts
460 upvotes
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 10:55 am
It's a completely different page. I think he was trying to show an example of a portal for actual employees with probably larger discounts. You can see that page is titled "Lenovo EPP" and there there are instructions for Lenovo Employees. The old page we've been using is titled "IBM Friends EPP". It might be restored with a new password or not, nobody knows, but it would not be replaced by an Employee only page.
Ahh, ok thanks for the clarification so that nobody panics lol.
May 27, 2007
50 posts
5 upvotes
I hope this is just a glitch..because now I can't log in and review information about my past purchases. After logging in, I get to the gatekeeper page and `FNDEPP` doesn't work.
Nov 16, 2018
2 posts
3 upvotes
some1 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 11:02 am
I hope this is just a glitch..because now I can't log in and review information about my past purchases. After logging in, I get to the gatekeeper page and `FNDEPP` doesn't work.
The whole site is having issues today. Getting lots of "500" errors right now ("OUR APOLOGIES! We seem to be experiencing site issues. Please feel free to contact us if you require immediate assistance.")
Nov 23, 2014
222 posts
120 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 12:31 am
The RAM on X1E & P1 only runs at 2400MHz, so no reason to buy 2666MHz RAM.
If you check the Platform Specifications documents (PSREF P1 & X1E), you'll see this:

So that opens more options, for example something like this should work: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6820232155
My X1E runs 2666Mhz - likely fixed with a bios/driver update? I confirmed in HWInfo and CPU-Z.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3767 posts
1304 upvotes
AB
MusicEveryday wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 11:29 am
My X1E runs 2666Mhz - likely fixed with a bios/driver update? I confirmed in HWInfo and CPU-Z.
Really? Awesome then. I can skip looking at 2400 ram :)
Nov 23, 2014
222 posts
120 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 11:30 am
Really? Awesome then. I can skip looking at 2400 ram :)
Yea, if you fire up either of those applications it should show you the operating clock speed of about 1300 +- a tiny bit for the RAM. It's what I used to find out what RAM/SSD/etc.. I got without removing the bottom panel.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3767 posts
1304 upvotes
AB
MusicEveryday wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 11:39 am
Yea, if you fire up either of those applications it should show you the operating clock speed of about 1300 +- a tiny bit for the RAM. It's what I used to find out what RAM/SSD/etc.. I got without removing the bottom panel.
Can you please make a CPU-Z screenshot, like this one: https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin ... _CPU_Z.png

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)