Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
ciuvak wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 1:45 am
Same one I want to get :) Did you run benchmarks? How does it compare to the previous 1 x 16GB setup?
I don't have it in my hands yet, but previously I bought it for my P52 in 8GB x2 configuration before I returned the laptop. The system ran much smoother and no micro-stutters or anything like before with 8GB x1 Samsung RAM.

I can report back with benchmarks for sure - with stock Samsung, 1x HyperX, and 2x HyperX RAM.
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
Also wanted to share this with you guys -

Colour tests (from left to right) with 1) X1 Carbon HDR, 2) P1 with 4K panel, and 3) T460 with 1080P matte display. With the exception of the T460, all displays were calibrated with an X1 iRite Display Pro colour calibrator.

This is not a scientific test, but it helps understand the colour accuracy and representation with each display playing the same content.
The video in the screenshot is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtjGTrVwRr4&t=163s

Although both the X1 Carbon HDR and P1 looks similar in the photo, actual real world tangible differences can be seen between both displays. The X1 Carbon HDR has more colour depth with its wider range of colours. The P1 4K panel is nice enough, but just don't go comparing it to the X1 Carbon HDR since it's a different league altogether (and perhaps the most colour accurate screen on a laptop right now).

Lastly, the T460 on the right could not be colour calibrated since it is my company laptop and no software can be installed on it. However, the three laptops side-by-side easily shows the T460 to have the poorest range of colour representation by a large margin. If you ever wondered what you are missing with a generic display, then this is it. The T460 is only about 40% Adobe RGB accurate compared to the 100%+ Adobe RGB representation in the X1 Carbon HDR and P1.
Dec 16, 2010
450 posts
264 upvotes
Canada
perpetuus wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 3:09 am

Colour tests (from left to right) with 1) X1 Carbon HDR, 2) P1 with 4K panel, and 3) T460 with 1080P matte display. With the exception of the T460, all displays were calibrated with an X1 iRite Display Pro colour calibrator.

This is not a scientific test, but it helps understand the colour accuracy and representation with each display playing the same content.
The video in the screenshot is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtjGTrVwRr4&t=163s

Although both the X1 Carbon HDR and P1 looks similar in the photo, actual real world tangible differences can be seen between both displays. The X1 Carbon HDR has more colour depth with its wider range of colours. The P1 4K panel is nice enough, but just don't go comparing it to the X1 Carbon HDR since it's a different league altogether (and perhaps the most colour accurate screen on a laptop right now).

Lastly, the T460 on the right could not be colour calibrated since it is my company laptop and no software can be installed on it. However, the three laptops side-by-side easily shows the T460 to have the poorest range of colour representation by a large margin. If you ever wondered what you are missing with a generic display, then this is it. The T460 is only about 40% Adobe RGB accurate compared to the 100%+ Adobe RGB representation in the X1 Carbon HDR and P1.
Thanks for that.

Did you notice blooming on the P1 screen during dark scenes?

Thanks
Apr 1, 2005
195 posts
17 upvotes
i can get X1C for $1849 with the following spec (i7-8550, 500nit monitor, 16Gb ram and 512 SSD). There's also ebates 8% right now. How does this compare to the blackfriday sale? Should I wait until boxing day?
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
PannTher wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 3:15 pm
Thanks for that.

Did you notice blooming on the P1 screen during dark scenes?

Thanks
There's some light bleed around the edges on pitch black scenes. But, it's only if I crank the brightness up beyond what is comfortable to look at.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1217 posts
249 upvotes
Edmonton
My ThinkPad X1 Yoga crashes into a BSOD once or twice every day. I've updated the drivers and BIOS, even reset Windows 10 (keeping personal files) and the issue still persists. Should I exchange it for a new unit?
Jun 24, 2010
378 posts
91 upvotes
tablo13 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 10:02 pm
My ThinkPad X1 Yoga crashes into a BSOD once or twice every day. I've updated the drivers and BIOS, even reset Windows 10 (keeping personal files) and the issue still persists. Should I exchange it for a new unit?
Exchanging would be ideal for a brand new machine. Who knows what other problems it may have?
Sep 15, 2014
104 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a Lenovo SSD in my P1, those who bought the HP EX920 M.2 1TB SSD for your X1E/P1, are you planning to clone your existing drive and use the EX920 as your system drive or just use EX920 as an extension?
Sep 15, 2014
104 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto, ON
curious to know the performance/quality/durability of Lenovo 512GB drive compared with HP EX920
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4247 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
jacjac_c wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 4:44 pm
i can get X1C for $1849 with the following spec (i7-8550, 500nit monitor, 16Gb ram and 512 SSD). There's also ebates 8% right now. How does this compare to the blackfriday sale? Should I wait until boxing day?
My X1C, with same proc, ram, difference being 256gb ssd instead of 512gb, was $1778 tax included (AB province) to give you an idea. Base configuration price was in the high $1100s very recently on EPP.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4247 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
perpetuus wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 3:09 am

Even with my untrained eye, there was a noticeable difference between the 4K panel on the X1E and the X1C. The panel on the X1E is beautiful in it's own right, and those who have never seen an X1C before would still be very happy with the color accuracy, still a very vibrant panel, just doesn't have that "wow" factor the HDR X1C carries. The T460 FHD panel looks second rate.

Does latency in ram matter much these days? Two sticks with mismatched latencies, would that cause any stability issues?
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Aug 30, 2007
62 posts
28 upvotes
Markham
Anyone have any issues with the keyboard on the P1? I feel like the keys on the left side of the keyboard feel a bit stiffer than the right side. I could be imagining it though.
Mar 13, 2011
80 posts
6 upvotes
Received X1C 6th Gen. Noted that battery seems to drain quite a bit during idle (laptop closed), compared to older Thinkpad13. Wonder if this is normal ? Thanks

Update: appears a known issues. Saw some discussion on Lenovo support site. updated BIOS and see if more needs to be done. Some suggested turn off USB and Thunderbolt in BIOS.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X ... -p/4075415
Sep 15, 2014
104 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Guys, bad news to share...

Just received my HP EX920 M.2 1TB SSD and tried to install it to my P1.

Unfortunately, this SSD is double sided and it won't lay flat in the second M.2 slot in P1.

Returning it soon.