Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Oct 9, 2018
47 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Just received an email that my product is discontinued (T480 i5 8th gen, 512 ssd, 8 gb ram), they're offering me a replacement that is a 7th gen i5 with a 1366x768 res screen at NO EXTRA CHARGE. LOL. such pathetic customer service.

The discontinuation is obv. bs as well, its a i5 gen 8 with the most common specs out there, no way they're discontinued.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2017
1399 posts
801 upvotes
perpetuus wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 11:41 pm
Just so you know, the XPG SX8200 has the same issue. You can physically fit it, but the SSD bulges up in the middle...
I have it but have not tried to install yet. So what do you guys recommend, is it ok to install it bulging up? Will we be able to close the panel and will it still work as expected?

Also, as I'm typing away on my P1 right now, the fan noise comes on and off as if it has thermal issues, I have this issue with a couple of my other laptops, an HP and a Dell. Does this happen to any of you guys? I'm thinking that it should not overheat while having 16GB of ram and doing basic tasks like browsing the Internet? I don't want to have to liquid-metal paste the CPU and GPU if I don't have to.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4273 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary
HN12345 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 1:57 am
I have it but have not tried to install yet. So what do you guys recommend, is it ok to install it bulging up? Will we be able to close the panel and will it still work as expected?

Also, as I'm typing away on my P1 right now, the fan noise comes on and off as if it has thermal issues, I have this issue with a couple of my other laptops, an HP and a Dell. Does this happen to any of you guys? I'm thinking that it should not overheat while having 16GB of ram and doing basic tasks like browsing the Internet? I don't want to have to liquid-metal paste the CPU and GPU if I don't have to.
My HP ex920 is double sided as well and I encounter the same issue. Just don't screw it all the way down, turn it just enough to hold it down firmly, and enough so that there's no chance of the thread coming loose and popping out of the socket and have the chance to short anything. The fan acting the way it does seems like a X1E/P1 signature behaviour.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4173 posts
1273 upvotes
plucky duck wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 4:06 am
My HP ex920 is double sided as well and I encounter the same issue. Just don't screw it all the way down, turn it just enough to hold it down firmly, and enough so that there's no chance of the thread coming loose and popping out of the socket and have the chance to short anything. The fan acting the way it does seems like a X1E/P1 signature behaviour.
Does repasting help?

Does undervolting help?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3095 posts
607 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I had an issue with my very old SL500 thinkpad..the fan would wind up and down intermittently and was quite annoying. I put linux on it and it never did it again, that was about 5 years back. So, in my case the cause was windows.
Nov 17, 2007
207 posts
15 upvotes
Thunder Bay
It is very interesting to have different website of Lenovo Canada and the prices are vary. Here are prices for X1E:
Lenovo Canada
LCA.PNG

Corp
LCACorp.PNG

EPP
LCAEPP.PNG
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4016 posts
1523 upvotes
AB
Did anyone's order ever ship from Concord, ON? My replacement finally shipped today, but instead of a US location, it's a Canadian one. A bit unexpected.
Sep 18, 2007
9 posts
1 upvote
ilovecanada wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 5:13 pm
Guys, bad news to share...

Just received my HP EX920 M.2 1TB SSD and tried to install it to my P1.

Unfortunately, this SSD is double sided and it won't lay flat in the second M.2 slot in P1.

Returning it soon.
Does this mean it’s going to be the same issue with the X1E and the HP EX920?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2017
1399 posts
801 upvotes
I'm thinking of returning my P1 even though I got this at a great price. I've been trying to get a good feel for it for the past 2 weeks and am a bit disappointed with a few things:

- The fan intermittently comes on and off even when I have 1 browser open. I'd expect this from a cheap laptop but not a 2 thousand dollar one.

- I can't get used to this trackpad. I'm used to having the buttons at the bottom of the pad, have been using this for 15 years or so. Now they put the mouse buttons above the trackpad which is useless to me. Also the pad is way too sensitive, because my thumb is used to touching the bottom of the pad, I end up activating all sorts of controls when navigating around. I can barely move the mouse curser around without having it click, expand, or activating some funky 2-button control feature. This irritates me to no end when I'm casually browsing and having the current windows close, expand or new windows popping up out of nowhere. I have to mindfully lift my right thumb fully off the trackpad which is difficult to do. Before I could just rest my right thumb on a button without repercussions.

- it came with a ethernet dongle and when I plug it in, it doesn't even recognize it for some reason.

- when I remove the ac adapter and go to straight battery mode, it indicates that I have 2hrs 50mins remaining. This is no better than my old notebooks from 5 years ago, I guess this 4k display is pretty demanding on the battery.

I'm going to say that what I miss the most about this laptop though is the beautiful and bright display. Typing on this keyboard is also very nice and comfortable however the keys are spaced a little bit too far apart for my liking.

All things considered, it's just not worth $2000 for me. I don't think I need a powerhouse laptop at this time, my next one may be a cheap ultrabook or tablet w/keyboard that does not make any noise and has a long battery life. I'm going to be a bit sad since this was a great deal but for $2000 I'd expect something that I would be in love with for the next 8 years, I'm just not feeling it after a couple of weeks of usage. Will be reverting back to my old T530 where I feel more comfortable with. My wallet will also thank me lol.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4173 posts
1273 upvotes
HN12345 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 9:13 pm
I'm thinking of returning my P1 even though I got this at a great price. I've been trying to get a good feel for it for the past 2 weeks and am a bit disappointed with a few things:

- The fan intermittently comes on and off even when I have 1 browser open. I'd expect this from a cheap laptop but not a 2 thousand dollar one.

- I can't get used to this trackpad. I'm used to having the buttons at the bottom of the pad, have been using this for 15 years or so. Now they put the mouse buttons above the trackpad which is useless to me. Also the pad is way too sensitive, because my thumb is used to touching the bottom of the pad, I end up activating all sorts of controls when navigating around. I can barely move the mouse curser around without having it click, expand, or activating some funky 2-button control feature. This irritates me to no end when I'm casually browsing and having the current windows close, expand or new windows popping up out of nowhere. I have to mindfully lift my right thumb fully off the trackpad which is difficult to do. Before I could just rest my right thumb on a button without repercussions.

- it came with a ethernet dongle and when I plug it in, it doesn't even recognize it for some reason.

- when I remove the ac adapter and go to straight battery mode, it indicates that I have 2hrs 50mins remaining. This is no better than my old notebooks from 5 years ago, I guess this 4k display is pretty demanding on the battery.

I'm going to say that what I miss the most about this laptop though is the beautiful and bright display. Typing on this keyboard is also very nice and comfortable however the keys are spaced a little bit too far apart for my liking.

All things considered, it's just not worth $2000 for me. I don't think I need a powerhouse laptop at this time, my next one may be a cheap ultrabook or tablet w/keyboard that does not make any noise and has a long battery life. I'm going to be a bit sad since this was a great deal but for $2000 I'd expect something that I would be in love with for the next 8 years, I'm just not feeling it after a couple of weeks of usage. Will be reverting back to my old T530 where I feel more comfortable with. My wallet will also thank me lol.
I wonder if the x1c or x1e experiences the same issues.
Dec 1, 2012
248 posts
250 upvotes
VANCOUVER
HN12345 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 9:13 pm

I got mine (4k i7 512gb 16gb) for around 1600 + tax (Lenovo honour their price error). I have not opened it yet.

Should I return it too ? I can not live with fun noise.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2017
1399 posts
801 upvotes
chongsen wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 1:17 am
I got mine (4k i7 512gb 16gb) for around 1600 + tax (Lenovo honour their price error). I have not opened it yet.

Should I return it too ? I can not live with fun noise.
I think that you should play with it at least for a week, it's all about your own personal experience with the laptop. Maybe yours doesn't have the intermittent fan noise or maybe it doesn't irritate you as much as it does with me.

For me, the trackpad is a big deal, I think I've been accustomed to using the old style trackpad with the buttons below so much that I can't get used to this one no matter how much I try or change the settings. All kinds of weird stuff gets activated as I'm just casually navigating with the pad, it's really annoying. *edit to add this portion* So I just typed up a nice e-mail and when I go to navigate, the directs me to the previous page losing all of my content. Stuff like this is intolerable to me. Now I have to go draft up the e-mail on an older laptop. I really do hate this trackpad lol. I hope they still make laptops with the buttons below the pad, my guess is that they removed them to make the unit more stylish or durable? I'll take functionality over style.

Just don't want you to return something without trying it out based off my experience, especially a great deal such as this.
Last edited by HN12345 on Dec 8th, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 29, 2005
593 posts
276 upvotes
Vancouver
Is anyone else having trouble logging onto the EPP website?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Quake94