Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Aug 20, 2015
124 posts
44 upvotes
Calgary
If you guys could pick between the 8750H CPU or the 8850H CPU, but everything else is the exact same, what would you do?
Price difference is like $30

8850H right?
Even though it has that vPro stuff that I will never ever use...are there any disadvantages to having the 8850H vs 8750H?
Any concerns from the vPro stuff? Should i turn it off somehow or just leave it be?
I just dont want to leave some vulnerability open somehow by ignoring the vPro thing haha
Nov 23, 2014
228 posts
126 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
elitekillah wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:34 pm
If you guys could pick between the 8750H CPU or the 8850H CPU, but everything else is the exact same, what would you do?
Price difference is like $30

8850H right?
Even though it has that vPro stuff that I will never ever use...are there any disadvantages to having the 8850H vs 8750H?
Any concerns from the vPro stuff? Should i turn it off somehow or just leave it be?
I just dont want to leave some vulnerability open somehow by ignoring the vPro thing haha
30$ Is well worth it as it’s a better binned CPU - don’t worry about the vPro it’s off by default.

If it were 50$+ or more then it becomes harder to justify.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3834 posts
1368 upvotes
AB
MusicEveryday wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 11:13 pm
30$ Is well worth it as it’s a better binned CPU - don’t worry about the vPro it’s off by default.
I turned off Intel AMT in BIOS. Hopefully that will help if there are vulnerabilities in vPro.
1500 free Supercharger kms on a new Tesla!
Feb 15, 2007
554 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered my X1E on BF and it finally shipped from China Dec. 11. Arrived in Canada this Monday early morning and has been sitting in a warehouse in Mississauga since?! Took 3 days from China to Canada and now 3 days waiting for customs clearance.
UPS says Lenovo shipped my order as part of bulk shipment with thousands more laptops all likely ordered around the same time. And Lenovo is using their own broker instead of the UPS one. Hence the huge delay in customs. Unless and until the entire shipment gets cleared by customs mine will not be send out. What a crap....
Tired of Lenovo's games cheaping out on shipping/brokerage...
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1230 posts
269 upvotes
Edmonton
chocho111 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 8:21 am
Ordered my X1E on BF and it finally shipped from China Dec. 11. Arrived in Canada this Monday early morning and has been sitting in a warehouse in Mississauga since?! Took 3 days from China to Canada and now 3 days waiting for customs clearance.
UPS says Lenovo shipped my order as part of bulk shipment with thousands more laptops all likely ordered around the same time. And Lenovo is using their own broker instead of the UPS one. Hence the huge delay in customs. Unless and until the entire shipment gets cleared by customs mine will not be send out. What a crap....
Tired of Lenovo's games cheaping out on shipping/brokerage...
Mine has been stuck in Louisville KY for over 10 days because UPS didn't provide the proper invoice.
Aug 20, 2015
124 posts
44 upvotes
Calgary
MusicEveryday wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 11:13 pm

ciuvak wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 11:17 pm
I turned off Intel AMT in BIOS. Hopefully that will help if there are vulnerabilities in vPro.
Thank you for the input :)

i just loaded up intel XTU on both and it's quite evident that a bunch of the settings are locked on the 8750H but they are available to mess around with on the 8850H
the important ones (i think) are available on both ( the voltage reduction and the TDP wattage related ones)

but the 8850H has the multiplier ones unlocked (8750H doesnt) so i guess i could do some multiplier related overclocking if i wanted to on the 8850H

I also noticed the 8750H has lower TDP wattage limits by default
gonna see what happens if i set it to the same as 8850H to see if it benchmarks similarly or not

I'll probably still keep the 8850H for the reason u said, it seems like it'll be better for undervolting too from the bit of reading ive done
Nov 22, 2016
275 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
Hi guys
For those that have more technical knowledge

My order said i would receive the following:
PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 M.2 SSD

The machine itself states a:
WDC PC SN720 SDAQNTW (guessing this is an ssd)

Did I receive what i paid for?

Thanks!
Manny
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3617 posts
987 upvotes
crustydragon wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 12:17 pm
Some of us got the in house Lenovo branded SSD. Not sure if better, worse or the same?
Probably rebranded from something else. Go benchmark it and tell us.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1230 posts
269 upvotes
Edmonton
Looks like my replacement X1 Yoga is being returned to sender at North Carolina. They'll probably reship it but don't know if it's gonna come faster this time.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7991 posts
910 upvotes
tablo13 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:01 pm
Works again but the discount seems awfully low compared to November. Probably should wait until boxing week
Noticed the same thing.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Mar 23, 2004
37720 posts
3945 upvotes
Markham
Update: Looks like FNDEPP is working again.

EDIT: Op updated, to the ppl who pm'ed me, FNDEPP is the password.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Sep 28, 2015
465 posts
304 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
angel_wing0 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 12:11 am
Update: Looks like FNDEPP is working again.
Thanks! Only 27% off right now. Hopefully will see better discounts in the next few days.
Sep 18, 2007
9 posts
1 upvote
WD 1tb Black is $259.99 right now on Newegg.
with the $30 off $200 with masterpass that's = $229.99 (same price during black friday).

thinking of getting this for my X1E. anyone know or think the base price will drop lower on boxing day?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)