Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

ThinkPad P14s Gen 2 AMD Ryzen 7 5850U/16GB/256GB $1,036

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2022 2:41 pm
Aug 23, 2010
395 posts
155 upvotes
Montr
I have bought one too. Why is that i am still unsure. I really dont like the design. But i have had good experience with lenovo and not other brands such as hp, acer, dell and toshiba.

I think like you price first and specs. However to be fair in your comparison you should really be comparing a 14 inch dell laptop with similar specs. Then you would see that its pretty much the same price for a dell 14 inch inspiron and a thinkpad. For roughly the same price then this is a no brainer.
There is no graphic card but this thinkpad series are ivs certified. So it should run graphics pretty decently.

The same would apply for a 15.6 inch thinkpad when on sales and dell inspiron.15 6 Which in actuality is still not a fair comparison as it should be compared to dell business line or xps. Lenovo is still more affordable.

Fair question though.
AkiraK wrote: Why are you folks paying 1,000$ for a laptop with these specs that doesn't even have a graphics card? It seems like an awful deal. In this price range, you can easily get laptops that have low end RTX cards.

For about $800 at Dell, you can get an Inspiron with 5700U processor, 16 GB Ram, 512 SSD, and integrated graphics.

This laptop is currently on Dell, and you can get it for 815$, all in, after you apply the 10% sign-up coupon code, and the 2% Rakuten:

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-la ... wA_WI48EsS
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1303 posts
555 upvotes
MARKHAM
I canceled my order. I want to wait out for the T14S with the 512GB SSD and LPDDR4X ram for the same price that was sold out last week.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1253 posts
1130 upvotes
Montreal
AkiraK wrote: I think it's certainly not debatable that ThinkPad has a great reputation and has superior market share. There may be reasons for that in professional communities, particularly in instances when machines are being shared between multiple people over a few years.

I'm only speaking from the perspective of someone who needs a work computer for my own use. I take good care of them, don't drop or bump them, or spill things on them. And I tend to use them from anywhere from 3-5 years per machine. Which is basically the average life span (3-5 years) for most laptops you pick up. So from that perspective, I tend to focus most on specs. Because I know that no matter what brand it is, I can run it for the standard 4-5 years. Hell, I've got an ASUS notebook from over a decade ago, that still works fine (it's that its specs are all outdated now).

ThinkPad with its durability features might last longer, but at that point I would be switching anyways.
I travel with my computer, even with a sleeve there's a lot of wear and tear. Using it on a train, plane, outside, at impromptu meetups, dark parties or bars, pass it to people so they can do lookups, things happen. I'm pretty sure a less robust design would have all kinds of cracks and defects. Then there's the better keyboard, and for some the trackpoint.

If yours is on a desk 99% of the time with a keyboard and mouse hooked up, you can pretty much use anything, sure. In fact, get the biggest laptop you can, it can have cooling and expandability without requiring much expertise.

I also sell mine 2 - 3 years in, with the full warranty still included so everyone's protected.

Talking about Thinkpad specifically btw, that go back to 1990, Lenovo bought them for their design skill and reputation but their other lines are treated differently.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4927 posts
535 upvotes
Winnipeg
AkiraK wrote: Why are you folks paying 1,000$ for a laptop with these specs that doesn't even have a graphics card? It seems like an awful deal. In this price range, you can easily get laptops that have low end RTX cards.

For about $800 at Dell, you can get an Inspiron with 5700U processor, 16 GB Ram, 512 SSD, and integrated graphics.

This laptop is currently on Dell, and you can get it for 815$, all in, after you apply the 10% sign-up coupon code, and the 2% Rakuten:

All you have to do is to go on Reddit and check out the Dell community vs Thinkpad. The Dell community is filled with complaints about Dell issues with quality control...hinges, trackpads, charging, screens...etc. Go to the Thinkpad community and you mostly see people showing off their new or old Thinkpads. I've personally have dealt with the Dell quality issues a couple of years ago. I purchased a top of the line XPS with a 4K screen. The screen was stunning...for about 3 days. Then it would randomly just go black on me while using the laptop. So I sent it back for a replacement laptop. The new one arrived and out of the box, an entire row on the keyboard didn't work. This wasn't acceptable for the top of the line laptop. So I went on Reddit to see if anyone else had issues with Dell and that's when I discovered QC issues that everyone was having. I saw threads where some person would show off their new laptop and the replies were along the lines of "check back in a few days....we want to see someone actually not get a defective laptop". So I sent the XPS back for a refund and went with a Surface Laptop 3.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3534 posts
653 upvotes
AkiraK wrote: I don't have it, myself, it's just one that I've been considering getting.

"15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare LED Backlight Touch Narrow Border WVA Display"

I have no idea how that compares to the Lenovo, but does it even matter for a non-gaming work/school laptop, which is what I presume people are buying the OP laptop for, considering it has no graphics card.
This is the problem buying stuff online. You don't know what you are getting.
I'm seeing different laptops that interest me in this price range and when I go look for reviews they all make it sound like the screen is just horrible and I back off buying one.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1638 posts
831 upvotes
Nova Scotia

I can get a laptop with a low end RTX with this build quality including awesome keyboard and chassis? Please post the link. That inspiron is the home line with a lesser CPU. P14S is a great laptop in terms of build quality.
Nov 8, 2017
244 posts
151 upvotes
quicksilver7 wrote: I can get a laptop with a low end RTX with this build quality including awesome keyboard and chassis? Please post the link. That inspiron is the home line with a lesser CPU. P14S is a great laptop in terms of build quality.
I don't know about build quality, I was talking about specs:

https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-Katana-GF66-1 ... Q1B2&psc=1

This laptop is $1150, decent processor, and 512 GB storage, and it has a 3050 RTX card.

I have no idea about the build quality, but it's MSI, I'm sure I could run it easily for ~3 years or so.

My point was that at the $1,000+ range, it seemed a bit steep for a laptop without any dedicated graphics capacity.
Feb 4, 2015
626 posts
2232 upvotes
Calgary, AB
AkiraK wrote: I don't know about build quality, I was talking about specs:

https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-Katana-GF66-1 ... Q1B2&psc=1

This laptop is $1150, decent processor, and 512 GB storage, and it has a 3050 RTX card.

I have no idea about the build quality, but it's MSI, I'm sure I could run it easily for ~3 years or so.

My point was that at the $1,000+ range, it seemed a bit steep for a laptop without any dedicated graphics capacity.
Why stop there? Here's one with a 3060 for $1300.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00117461

On a more serious note, I think you need to determine what type of laptop you need and not focus on a single spec. Is the GPU important? Sure, to some people.. clearly to you. Some would maybe prefer a laptop that doesn't have fans blasting all the time, or more portability, or more durability, or whatever else. You can't compare a tank like gaming setup vs an ultrabook or business laptop. Right now you are like a sports car driver arguing with people wanting to buy a SUV that what they really need is a mustang because the engine puts out more HP - while it is factually true, it is kind of missing the point.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1638 posts
831 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Not everyone wants a gaming laptop though. Pretty different products. I have 4 of the P14 units at work and they are great builds. Don't need or require RTX cards. Also not everyone likes the look of gaming units especially in an office dwelling. MSI make decent machines though.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1253 posts
1130 upvotes
Montreal
AkiraK wrote: "15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare LED Backlight Touch Narrow Border WVA Display"

I have no idea how that compares to the Lenovo, but does it even matter for a non-gaming work/school laptop, which is what I presume people are buying the OP laptop for, considering it has no graphics card.
It matters hugely. Colour accuracy, viewing angles, resolution, dimness-brightness range, contrast, aspect ratio, coating are all important factors. A poor quality displays can be tiring or just less enjoyable, lead to missing details or just not seeing images how they were meant to be seen. For example, in a dark environment you can turn the screen brightness right down to save your eyes and battery, but on a poor quality display that might use PWM (flickering) or cause the contrast to get worse.
Nov 8, 2017
244 posts
151 upvotes
quicksilver7 wrote: Not everyone wants a gaming laptop though. Pretty different products. I have 4 of the P14 units at work and they are great builds. Don't need or require RTX cards. Also not everyone likes the look of gaming units especially in an office dwelling. MSI make decent machines though.
I don't want a gaming laptop. But if I have two laptops that are relatively the same price, and one of them has dedicated graphics and the other doesn't, and comparable specs, and the idea is that both are relatively reputable brands and I'm only going to be using them for 3~ years; I would, personally, just take the graphics cards one.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2007
202 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
Deal is not dead. Please move back to hot deals
Jun 12, 2018
789 posts
1161 upvotes
Ontario
Deal is alive but price has gone up. The config listed is now $1,219.00. Should fix title and op
Aug 23, 2010
395 posts
155 upvotes
Montr
Good stuff. Waiting to receive it first and see how well it works without it.

It can go up to 48gb right?

Anyone's order stuck in Shanghai? Mines been there for the last 3 days... and is still expected delivery for the 7th... not sure it will hold
superspud9 wrote: 16gb ram module for 69.99
Bought this to upgrade the p14s from 16 to 32gb

memory-express-ripjaws-series-16gb-ddr4 ... 9-2493131/
Temp. Banned
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22927 upvotes
Toronto
tsx wrote: Good stuff. Waiting to receive it first and see how well it works without it.

Max Memory
Up to 48GB (16GB soldered + 32GB SO-DIMM) DDR4-3200

Notes:
The max memory is based on the test results with current Lenovo® memory offerings. The system may support more memory as the technology develops.

ThinkPad P14s Gen 2 (AMD) Platform Specifications
https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PD ... D_Spec.pdf
Destiny is all
Oct 9, 2010
28 posts
25 upvotes
Same here mine supposed to arrive by Oct 6. Been sitting in Shanghai since Oct 1
May 5, 2011
85 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
tsx wrote: Good stuff. Waiting to receive it first and see how well it works without it.

Anyone's order stuck in Shanghai? Mines been there for the last 3 days... and is still expected delivery for the 7th... not sure it will hold
miketheone1 wrote: Same here mine supposed to arrive by Oct 6. Been sitting in Shanghai since Oct 1
Expect it to be there for about 3 to 4 days.
Last edited by aroundtheworld80 on Oct 4th, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.