Expired Hot Deals

Lenovo Canada

Thinkpad T490, 14" FHD, i5-10210U,16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, $994

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2020 5:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1297 posts
5643 upvotes

[Lenovo Canada] Thinkpad T490, 14" FHD, i5-10210U,16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, $994

Thinkpad T490, 14" FHD, i5-10210U,16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 1-year warranty

Part Number: 20RYS0K400

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/th ... 2TP2TT4900

$994 after 8% Rkuten Cash back or $967 via EPP. Extra 5% off for military, teacher, student, first responders.

Reasonably good deal for a Thinkpad with decent CPU, RAM and SSD. However, review of screen is not good:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-re ... 90-review/

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7 (Part # 20R10010US) has a much better display (14"FHD, 400 nits) and it is also much lighter (about 1 kg). It also has i5-10210U CPU and 3-year warranty. However, it has only 8GB RAM soldered and 256GB SSD and it costs $200 more ($1156 via EPP). See:
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/th ... ai-feo=off
Last edited by qfli78 on Sep 2nd, 2020 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Member
Dec 8, 2012
206 posts
428 upvotes
Winnipeg
Lenovo ThinkPads are superior quality and durability than Lenovo IdeaPads. You got a Lemon it doesn't mean that all Lenovo products are poor quality!
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1140 posts
1166 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have this laptop from work. Terrible display. Just doesn't get bright enough. I don't know whether this one has backlit keyboard or not, mine doesn't. Other than keyboard, I do not recommend this laptop at all.
Koodo $40 13GB!
Member
Apr 2, 2015
339 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have one. Great keyboard. Garbage display, garbage thermals, loud coil whine.
Jr. Member
Feb 25, 2012
115 posts
140 upvotes
CALGARY
Yikes

Thought about upgrading my t480 but that doesn’t look like a great idea anymore
Sr. Member
Feb 26, 2017
612 posts
424 upvotes
SureshA720227 wrote: I have this laptop from work. Terrible display. Just doesn't get bright enough. I don't know whether this one has backlit keyboard or not, mine doesn't. Other than keyboard, I do not recommend this laptop at all.
I've been researching my laptop purchase for over a year now. Primarily Lenovo's; they sure seem to love their 250 nit screens around 1k. Not just for ThinkPads (which I sorta understand), but across their entire line... nothing but 250 nits unless you hit 1300 bucks or so. It's frustrating AF.

I tried an ideapad in March (just as the shit hit the fan) w/ a 250 nit screen - it was utterly painful to use and I sent it right the **** back. I don't really want to go above 1k, so I may have to go into the B tier MSI / Acer etc.. People might hate Apple for a variet of things, but at the very least they always, always put decent screens on even their lowest end stuff.
Even on business laptops, I don't want to squint all day. I get it, cheap laptops = cheap screens, but 1k isn't *that* cheap IMO
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1009 posts
871 upvotes
Kingston
Atillathepun wrote: I've been researching my laptop purchase for over a year now. Primarily Lenovo's; they sure seem to love their 250 nit screens around 1k. Not just for ThinkPads (which I sorta understand), but across their entire line... nothing but 250 nits unless you hit 1300 bucks or so. It's frustrating AF.

I tried an ideapad in March (just as the shit hit the fan) w/ a 250 nit screen - it was utterly painful to use and I sent it right the **** back. I don't really want to go above 1k, so I may have to go into the B tier MSI / Acer etc.. People might hate Apple for a variet of things, but at the very least they always, always put decent screens on even their lowest end stuff.
Even on business laptops, I don't want to squint all day. I get it, cheap laptops = cheap screens, but 1k isn't *that* cheap IMO
Valid point and it certainly sucks. But being a lenovo, you can always upgrade individual bits and pieces. I upgraded the screen on my T480s (aftermarket, super easy) to the low power 400 nit screen and absolutely love it! Gained about 20% battery life AND much brighter/colourful screen. Odly enough the T480s has dual heat pipe for the CPU as opposed to the T480 that rocks a single and suffers very quickly to throttling.
Last edited by MaDgamEr on Sep 2nd, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Feb 26, 2017
612 posts
424 upvotes
MaDgamEr wrote: Valid point and it certainly sucks. But being a lenovo, you can always upgrade individual bits and pieces. I upgraded the screen on my T480s (aftermarket, super easy) to the low power 400 nit screen and absolutely love it! Gained about 20% battery life AND much brighter/colourful screen. Odly enough the T480s has dual heat pipe for the CPU as opposed to the T480 that rocks a single and suffers very quickly to throttling.
That's interesting! How much did the screen cost? Was it a ton of BS to swap out?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1009 posts
871 upvotes
Kingston
Atillathepun wrote: That's interesting! How much did the screen cost? Was it a ton of BS to swap out?
About $110 Canadian shipped. Install was super easy as it's 1 30 pin ribbon cable. Took all of 10 minutes because i took my time and was super picky about alignment.
Member
Dec 8, 2012
206 posts
428 upvotes
Winnipeg
porksoda wrote: NO cashback via epp, none of the tricks work anymore.
Oh Darn! I didn’t know that.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
31269 posts
1976 upvotes
Fernando Poo
No compelling reason to "upgrade" to this when I still have a very upgradable T430 and a couple of T440 when these new ones aren't upgradable at all. A mildly used T430, imo, would be a better choice.

Top