Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8, i5-10210U, 16G RAM, 512G SSD, FHD 400 nits, $1170

Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2364 posts
1777 upvotes
Montreal, QC
1xTiMeR wrote: It’s true. M1 is quite revolutionary and in a class of its own.
I just don't understand why Apple fans feel the need to go into Windows laptop threads and religiously promote Apple computers?
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5352 posts
3947 upvotes
Vancouver
willy0275 wrote: I just don't understand why Apple fans feel the need to go into Windows laptop threads and religiously promote Apple computers?
Yeah.. why don't they stick to the Apple Mac hot deals threads? Oh wait.. never mind..

Ron.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5028 posts
1738 upvotes
Ottawa
Mac OS fans get out of here, here is windows. thanks
[OP]
Sep 5, 2019
174 posts
384 upvotes
rcayco wrote: Not worth it. Just buy the base model M1 MacBook Air for $1169 from the education store. It'll blow this out of the water in performance.
M1 Macbook Air is a great laptop. Depending on how it is used, it could be much better than X1C in term of performance and battery life.

So it really depends on one's use cases, needs & wants, and what he/she has get used to. When somebody spends $1200+taxes on a laptop, he/she likely has certain application software to use for work, study, and play. While some software have both Mac and Windows versions, many of them may only have Windows version. Furthermore, for a long-time Windows user, switching to Mac has quite some learning curve.

The article below mentioned quite a few issues about M1 Macbook. The most significant issue appears to be software compatibility, which will take some time to resolve.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoo ... bebbe2786a

X1 ThinkPad is a premium business-class laptop. If one has decided a Windows-based laptop is a good fit for his/her needs, $1200 X1C is plenty of value for the money.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2019
174 posts
384 upvotes
Riffer wrote: Hey! what about us Linux folk? I've been running my new X1 Carbon Gen 8 "with Fedora" for a couple of weeks now. Fantastic :)
Good to know. I have little experience with Linux. The premium build, light weight, great keyboard and display really make X1C a delight to use.
Mar 7, 2011
183 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
newfbc wrote: Yeah.. why don't they stick to the Apple Mac hot deals threads? Oh wait.. never mind..

Ron.
It is odd... Usually they are too busy searching for dongles and DE soldering RAM and SSD's to upgrade.....
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2364 posts
1777 upvotes
Montreal, QC
qfli78 wrote: Good to know. I have little experience with Linux. The premium build, light weight, great keyboard and display really make X1C a delight to use.
I use Linux for work and it's great but there are many weaknesses. For example, you can't use a Bluetooth headset without running into an extreme limitation where microphone sampling is done at 8kHz. I had to buy a USB dongle for my Ubuntu to be properly heard by my coworkers. It's just an example, but it's not all rainbows and unicorns.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Oct 3, 2018
92 posts
96 upvotes
willy0275 wrote: I just don't understand why Apple fans feel the need to go into Windows laptop threads and religiously promote Apple computers?
I just want other users to know that if they're spending their hard earned money, there has been new technology that has just been released that basically made the hardware in the thinkpad obsolete. Wouldn't users want to know that? It's not even just a slight bump in performance, it's like a major leap.

It's like a thread saying there's a deal on an Audi, and then ferrari just created a new model faster than all their previous models and priced it at the same cost of the Audi. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm just trying to get my point across.

All I'm saying is if you're spending $1200, you can spend the same $1200 on this other product that has 20 hour battery life, doesnt produce any heat and runs silent, has a higher 2560x1600 resolution display, and can edit 4k videos with effects added without skipping a frame.

And if you want to see these comparisons in real world tests, you can watch this video. It's against a Dell XPS 13 9310, but that laptop is way better than the only listed on this thread.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12826 posts
2171 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
rf34as wrote: It is odd... Usually they are too busy searching for dongles and DE soldering RAM and SSD's to upgrade.....
Well, it's not like X1C has tons of ports and has a RAM slot. As to upgrading the SSD, I thought Macbooks are usually broken before the user gets around to thinking about an upgrade. Winking Face
Oct 30, 2020
70 posts
90 upvotes
rcayco wrote: I just want other users to know that if they're spending their hard earned money, there has been new technology that has just been released that basically made the hardware in the thinkpad obsolete. Wouldn't users want to know that? It's not even just a slight bump in performance, it's like a major leap.

It's like a thread saying there's a deal on an Audi, and then ferrari just created a new model faster than all their previous models and priced it at the same cost of the Audi. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm just trying to get my point across.

All I'm saying is if you're spending $1200, you can spend the same $1200 on this other product that has 20 hour battery life, doesnt produce any heat and runs silent, has a higher 2560x1600 resolution display, and can edit 4k videos with effects added without skipping a frame.

And if you want to see these comparisons in real world tests, you can watch this video. It's against a Dell XPS 13 9310, but that laptop is way better than the only listed on this thread.
He ate the apple folks and drank the cool-aid.

Your example doesn't apply. A car is used to go from point a to b on average. A laptop, runs software. Not all software works on both apple and windows and sometimes if they do it is limited.

I wouldn't recommend a windows machine to a mac user and vice versa without knowing more because they are not automatically interchangeable.

You're making a lot of assumptions and stating opinions as fact. That is why you are getting pooped on.

This is a thread about the thinkpad. Mac's have no reference here for the most part and your comment was pretty off topic IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5352 posts
3947 upvotes
Vancouver
rcayco wrote: I just want other users to know that if they're spending their hard earned money, there has been new technology that has just been released that basically made the hardware in the thinkpad obsolete. Wouldn't users want to know that? It's not even just a slight bump in performance, it's like a major leap.

Apple recently made some marketing claims using a 5nm processor against a 4-year old architecture and we were waiting for benchmarks to appear that we can use to do some solid comparisons. Earlier today, the single-core and multi-core scores in the latest Cinebench R23 have leaked out and boy is it a different story than the one Apple used in its announcement. The Apple M1 is a very impressive chip - but the fastest in mobility CPUs it is not - not by a long shot.
https://wccftech.com/intel-and-amd-x86- ... k-results/

Have a read.

As well, a Macbook Air with 8gb/256gb (half what's in the OP post).. is $1300, not $1200. With 512gb SSD (same as OP) but still 8gb RAM, it's $1650!

Ron.
Last edited by newfbc on Dec 5th, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oct 3, 2018
92 posts
96 upvotes
newfbc wrote: Apple recently made some marketing claims using a 5nm processor against a 4-year old architecture and we were waiting for benchmarks to appear that we can use to do some solid comparisons. Earlier today, the single-core and multi-core scores in the latest Cinebench R23 have leaked out and boy is it a different story than the one Apple used in its announcement. The Apple M1 is a very impressive chip - but the fastest in mobility CPUs it is not - not by a long shot.
https://wccftech.com/intel-and-amd-x86- ... k-results/

Have a read.

Ron.
While there may be users that require Windows only software, there's a bunch of users who don't, and for those them, I want them to be aware of the options.

And why would you not recommend one to the other? If a Windows laptop came along and blew away the mac in performance, I would definitely recommend it.

I use both platforms. Software that is developed for one os is also developed for the other these days. It's pretty rare that I come across something that only runs on Windows unless it's games or some software where I'm trying to hack one of my devices.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5352 posts
3947 upvotes
Vancouver
rcayco wrote: While there may be users that require Windows only software, there's a bunch of users who don't, and for those them, I want them to be aware of the options.

And why would you not recommend one to the other? If a Windows laptop came along and blew away the mac in performance, I would definitely recommend it.

I use both platforms. Software that is developed for one os is also developed for the other these days. It's pretty rare that I come across something that only runs on Windows unless it's games or some software where I'm trying to hack one of my devices.
As well, a Macbook Air with 8gb/256gb (half what's in the OP post).. is $1300, not $1200. With 512gb SSD (same as OP) but still 8gb RAM, it's $1650!

Ron.
Last edited by newfbc on Dec 5th, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 3, 2018
92 posts
96 upvotes
newfbc wrote: As well, a Macbook Air with 8gb/256gb (half what's in the OP post).. is $1300, not $1200. With 512gb SSD (same as OP) but still 8gb RAM, it's $1650!

Ron.
In the education store it's $1169. You're correct about the SSD. You would have to pay an extra $250 to get the 512 model with apple. However, with the RAM, it doesn't make a difference due to apples ability manage memory. It uses a feature called memory swapping. They did tests and the only time the extra ram made a difference in the MacBook was when they were rendering 8k Red RAW footage. In all other tests, the extra controller 8gb of RAM made no difference. Although, it would would make a difference on a Windows machine no doubt.
Oct 11, 2016
509 posts
483 upvotes
The M1 Macbooks might are worth it and they get 2-3 times the battery life of the X1C8. This X1C8 won't get more than 8 hours of browsing battery life on any option, while the M1 Macbook will do 20 no problem. Look I'm writing this on a X1C7 and I also have that X1E3 coming, so I'm a fan of thinkpads, but those Macbook's have way better battery life, durability, reliability and support. I just need the ports, and waiting for the larger 16 Macbook with arm to come out until I can get rid of both these thinkpads. Also 8gb ram on a mac isn't the same as 8gb ram on windows. If you don't need windows or ports, then the arm macbooks are better in every single way.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
3217 posts
1163 upvotes
Vancouver
betercallsaul wrote: The M1 Macbooks might are worth it and they get 2-3 times the battery life of the X1C8. This X1C8 won't get more than 8 hours of browsing battery life on any option, while the M1 Macbook will do 20 no problem. Look I'm writing this on a X1C7 and I also have that X1E3 coming, so I'm a fan of thinkpads, but those Macbook's have way better battery life, durability, reliability and support. I just need the ports, and waiting for the larger 16 Macbook with arm to come out until I can get rid of both these thinkpads. Also 8gb ram on a mac isn't the same as 8gb ram on windows. If you don't need windows or ports, then the arm macbooks are better in every single way.
except OS....
The new M1 is a huge boost for mac users but stop trying to push your stuff onto PC users. There's not that many people who are fine jumping between operating systems
You're just as bad as the PC users who try to crap on every apple thread
Oct 11, 2016
509 posts
483 upvotes
crazycoward wrote: except OS....
The new M1 is a huge boost for mac users but stop trying to push your stuff onto PC users. There's not that many people who are fine jumping between operating systems
You're just as bad as the PC users who try to crap on every apple thread
But I'm a PC user though, I have a gaming PC, HTPC, home server PC, X1C7 thinkpad, and an incoming X1E3 thinkpad. I'm fine with either OS for my laptops, since I use my desktop for any serious things, and if you could read you'd see that I mention that people that don't need windows should get the arm Macbooks, which is just a better laptop.
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6556 posts
2190 upvotes
betercallsaul wrote: But I'm a PC user though, I have a gaming PC, HTPC, home server PC, X1C7 thinkpad, and an incoming X1E3 thinkpad. I'm fine with either OS for my laptops, since I use my desktop for any serious things, and if you could read you'd see that I mention that people that don't need windows should get the arm Macbooks, which is just a better laptop.
Better laptop how? That's just like saying everyone should get a EV even if it drives on the right just because it saves gas.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
3217 posts
1163 upvotes
Vancouver
betercallsaul wrote: But I'm a PC user though, I have a gaming PC, HTPC, home server PC, X1C7 thinkpad, and an incoming X1E3 thinkpad. I'm fine with either OS for my laptops, since I use my desktop for any serious things, and if you could read you'd see that I mention that people that don't need windows should get the arm Macbooks, which is just a better laptop.
Definitely missed that part in your first post. My bad.
Why do you have a thinkpad coming if you're fine with Mac OS and they're supposedly superior in every way?