Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] ThinPad T490S, i5-8265U, FHD 400 nits, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, $970

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2020 6:09 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2019
887 posts
2706 upvotes

[Lenovo Canada] ThinPad T490S, i5-8265U, FHD 400 nits, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, $970

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/th ... 2TP2TT490S

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8265U Processor (1.60 GHz, up to 3.90 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 6 MB Cache)
Windows 10 Pro 64
14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, low power, 400 nits
16 GB DDR4 2400MHz (Soldered)
512 GB PCIe SSD
IR & 720p HD

$970 after 4% cashback.

Reasonably good deal if you don't mind 3 generations old CPU. The CPU is about 5% less powerful than the i5-10210U in latest T14 or T14S. See link below:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 3323vs3542

Nov. 11: Deal is dead. "Temporarily Unavailable" per Lenovo website.
Last edited by qfli78 on Nov 11th, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
39 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10427 posts
6933 upvotes
Other than for thunderbolt, what reason is there for buying Intel in Q4 2020, let alone 8th gen U procs...

Good for hackintosh maybe?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10427 posts
6933 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Screen, form factor,, and build quality.

Everything 8th gen and later is fast enough for most people.
You're referring to Lenovo ThinkPads (and I agree there)....I was asking about Intel.

e.g. Why not look at the ThinkPad AMD offerings?

It's not about 'fast enough'...it's about performance per dollar (somewhat also implying potential performance future-proofing).
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2019
887 posts
2706 upvotes
chatbox wrote: You're referring to Lenovo ThinkPads (and I agree there)....I was asking about Intel.

e.g. Why not look at the ThinkPad AMD offerings?

It's not about 'fast enough'...it's about performance per dollar (somewhat also implying potential performance future-proofing).
Price and budget. This deal is for people looking for a good enough ThinkPad at $1000 price point. A ThinkPad with newer CPU and same display, RAM, SSD will cost $200 to $300 more.

There was a similar X390 deal last week. It sold out in one day.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10427 posts
6933 upvotes
qfli78 wrote: Price and budget. This deal is for people looking for a good enough ThinkPad at $1000 price point. A ThinkPad with newer CPU and same display, RAM, SSD will cost $200 to $300 more.

There was a similar X390 deal last week. It sold out in one day.
Very true. It'll cost a bit more...but could last a fair bit longer.

That's like less than $0.50 a day if you span that over 2 years (which is how old the 8265U is at the moment), even less if you use it for a longer period.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2019
887 posts
2706 upvotes
chatbox wrote: Very true. It'll cost a bit more...but could last a fair bit longer.

That's like less than $0.50 a day if you span that over 2 years (which is how old the 8265U is at the moment), even less if you use it for a longer period.
Agree. However, $200 to $300 may make a difference on some people's budget, given the ongoing pandemic.
Sr. Member
Dec 24, 2007
968 posts
827 upvotes
Kingston
chatbox wrote: Other than for thunderbolt, what reason is there for buying Intel in Q4 2020, let alone 8th gen U procs...

Good for hackintosh maybe?
There's a limited amount of gain from the 8th gen U processors to 10th gen. With integrated graphics, this is not a gaming or video editing rig. 512 nvme is great as is 16 gb ram, but the star of the show here is the 400nit low power screen. I slapped one of these into my T480s to replace the garbage 250nit screen and not only is it a far superior display, but it adds 3-4 hours to your battery life. This is a powerful ultra portable, ultra light laptop with well over 12 hour battery life for $1k. Easy buy unless you need a monster machine, but that ain't gonna come in this tiny form factor.

Only real cons here are the soldered RAM and WiFi module. No upgrade options, not a big deal for the ram, but potential PITA for WiFi if you have this laptop for many years... Being a T series, you will! ;-)
Last edited by MaDgamEr on Nov 9th, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
Sep 19, 2006
24 posts
4 upvotes
Yes, ThinkPad is quite durable. My current X230 was bought in 2012.

It's only getting slow recently. I have checked the virus, free-up RAM, updated softwares ... At the end, I have to admit that it's getting slow simply because some of the parts are aged after 8-9 yrs perfect work.
Sr. Member
Jul 14, 2019
611 posts
1034 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Screen, form factor,, and build quality.

Everything 8th gen and later is fast enough for most people.
Screen, form factor, and build quality are of course not unique to Intel systems - you can get that anywhere in a wide variety of configurations.

Despite offering dramatically higher performance and much longer future relevance, Ryzen mobile CPUs also offer huge battery life gains and cooler temperatures. If you don't care about performance to the point you're willing to buy a 3-gen old nightmare of a CPU, one would think battery life would be the #1 priority after that.
Sr. Member
Jul 14, 2019
611 posts
1034 upvotes
chatbox wrote: Other than for thunderbolt, what reason is there for buying Intel in Q4 2020, let alone 8th gen U procs...

Good for hackintosh maybe?
You can actually get Thunderbolt on AMD Desktop platforms (my mobo has it), but I realize you are most likely talking about laptops.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5121 posts
1834 upvotes
Ottawa
Lol, OP do you work for Lenovo? Most of your posts are Lenovo’s.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2019
887 posts
2706 upvotes
MaDgamEr wrote: There's a limited amount of gain from the 8th gen U processors to 10th gen. With integrated graphics, this is not a gaming or video editing rig. 512 nvme is great as is 16 gb ram, but the star of the show here is the 400nit low power screen. I slapped one of these into my T480s to replace the garbage 250nit screen and not only is it a far superior display, but it adds 3-4 hours to your battery life. This is a powerful ultra portable, ultra light laptop with well over 12 hour battery life for $1k. Easy buy unless you need a monster machine, but that ain't gonna come in this tiny form factor.

Only real cons here are the soldered RAM and WiFi module. No upgrade options, not a big deal for the ram, but potential PITA for WiFi if you have this laptop for many years... Being a T series, you will! ;-)
Nice summary. Yes, I shared this deal mainly because the display. T series ThinkPad usually comes with the cheap 250 nits display unless you go to quite high price point. You can customize one but that will take several weeks to deliver.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2019
887 posts
2706 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote: Lol, OP do you work for Lenovo? Most of your posts are Lenovo’s.
No. I guess I am a fan of ThinkPad, using one at work and one at home.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 3, 2006
1546 posts
519 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
$1000 for a laptop with a i5-8250?

Hard passsssss
Sr. Member
May 31, 2005
690 posts
202 upvotes
I think this is a great deal. I’ve been looking
for a thinkpad for a few years now and rarely
does Lenovo put decent screens in sub 1000.

My only point of hesitation is the igpu. I’d like to play civ6 here and there and I’m pretty sure
this wouldn’t even do that. Otherwise awesome machine.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2019
887 posts
2706 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: I'd recommend waiting for Black Friday at the end of the month. You'll likely find a better deal then.
Updated the post to include a comparison of CPUs.

This is a better deal than the T14/T15 deals included in Lenovo's BF catalog, which has newer CPU but much worse display and cost $200 more.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10427 posts
6933 upvotes
qfli78 wrote: Agree. However, $200 to $300 may make a difference on some people's budget, given the ongoing pandemic.
Personally, I always suggest a used / refurbished system if budget is tight. e.g. $250 got me an X230 hackintosh with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD (SATA, of course). And, IIRC, a used FHD X260 was around $450-500 (falls in the 'fast enough' category). Use the rest of the money for other necessities to get through the year instead.
Sr. Member
Dec 24, 2007
968 posts
827 upvotes
Kingston
CanadaCPU wrote: Screen, form factor, and build quality are of course not unique to Intel systems - you can get that anywhere in a wide variety of configurations.

Despite offering dramatically higher performance and much longer future relevance, Ryzen mobile CPUs also offer huge battery life gains and cooler temperatures. If you don't care about performance to the point you're willing to buy a 3-gen old nightmare of a CPU, one would think battery life would be the #1 priority after that.
Form factor is not unique, as are screens arguably. Build quality, who else is offering this? You're talking about a $1k t series. Please don't say dell latitude, because it's just not the same quality.

As for the ryzen CPUs, I'm looking to educate myself... What dramatic performance gains at cooler temps and lower power are you referring to?

Top