Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] X1 Extreme G2 - i7/4K OLED/16GB/500GB/3YRS Warranty - $1650

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2020 1:02 pm
Nov 23, 2014
364 posts
249 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Great price. Looking forward to what Gen 3 will be like in the coming months. I have a gen 1 and it's amazing.
Nov 6, 2016
947 posts
910 upvotes
There is a huge keyboard problem with these. I have one and have the problem. Still waiting on replacement.

Edit - does Lenovo price match of their product goes on sale after purchase? I received my X1G2 less than a month ago. I could still return it but wonder if they would just credit the difference.
Last edited by indeals on Feb 24th, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 27, 2012
483 posts
262 upvotes
Ottawa
Oos. FYI, I bought this laptop in December with the OLED. The battery was terrible but i knew this before hand. My computer was ungodly slow For web browsing but it only had 8gb Of ram. I think i got a lemon though since most people didnt hAve an issue with it. Best of luck! It certainly is a hit deal though
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5455 posts
1845 upvotes
Ak654567 wrote: out of stock now
Good. Guess they're clearing it out for the 3rd gen version and the 10th gen processor.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3266 posts
2455 upvotes
No Bum Deals
patel21 wrote: Some people are also having issues with the 4K OLED Touchscreen being grainy looking, due to a very poor quality touchscreen layer on top of the screen
Wow, why go 4k OLED with touch, all you're going to do is reduce the PQ.
2c.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/5 - 1x Koodo 39/10 - 1x Fido 0/3 🢀
Feb 14, 2007
151 posts
65 upvotes
Just ordered one. If I can tame the fan noise I'll be happy, if not it may have to go back. Certainly the best deal around if you want the OLED screen(a must have for me).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6236 posts
5123 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sapguru wrote: How about Lenovo s740 which comes with i7, 16gb Ram, 1 TB SSD, GeForce GTX 1650 and uhd screen? The price is 1749 after 600 discount on Microsoft store.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/lenov ... verviewtab
I've been keeping an eye on this model as well - they're very similar machines

Compared to the X1EG2, the S740 has:
- IPS vs OLED
- 1TB vs 500GB storage
- 1 year warranty vs 3 years
- Aluminum casing vs carbon-fiber reinforced plastic

If you don't like the thinkpad aesthetic, i can definitely recommend the s740. BUT, I've definitely seen it lower than $1750 in the past ($1500 at one point, iirc)
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto
I've had the P1 Gen2 for a few months which is the near identical sibling of this (mine is loaded version with 9880h, 2TB SDDs, OLED, T2000, 32GB RAM). Great laptop but I have experienced three negatives.

1. The finish is conducive to leaving fingerprints and other stains. It's not that it doesn't clean up easily but it's perpetually smudged.

2. 4K OLED is gorgeous, but once you've gotten over the wow factor you really wish it had better battery life. My P1 gen2 in other configurations is rated at 14 hours. I usually don't get even 5 with the OLED. Would have preferred 1080p touch but none was available for my model at the time.

3. Possible bug that negatively effects wifi card when Miracast is also in use.. When I connect to my rt-ax88u network using P1's intel ax200 wifi adapter it's uber fast (saturates my 500Mb/s ISP connection from neighboring room). When I use it it with Microsoft's Miracast display adapter (v2) my wifi speed drops to under 100Mb/s. I don't experience this problem with my other laptop. Tried connecting to another slower wifi network that isn't ax while using the same miracast adapter and once again my performance was more than halved. Lenovo shipped me replacement wifi adapter and that didn't help. As of this date the issue remains unresolved for me. (to be fair, it could be something with my Microsofts' Miracast adapter that doesn't play nice with Intel's ax200 wifi adapter that ships with P1 G2 and Extreme G2 models)

UPDATE. Seem to have found solution to problem 3. Just did some more generalized googling and discovered there is a windows setting that can negatively affect wifi when using Miracast. For anyone experiencing a similar issue (using any laptop or wifi adapter) open up a command window and try one of these commands then disconnect and connect

netsh int tcp set global rsc=enabled (this worked for me)
netsh int tcp set global rsc=disabled (this has worked for others)
Last edited by needybot on Feb 24th, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5455 posts
1845 upvotes
needybot wrote: I've have the P1 Gen2 for a few months which is the near identical sibling of this (mine is loaded version with 9880h, 2TB SDDs, OLED, T2000, 32GB RAM). Great laptop but I have experienced three negatives.

1. The finish is conducive to leaving fingerprints and other stains. It's not that it doesn't clean up easily but it's perpetually smudged.

2. 4K OLED is gorgeous, but once you've gotten over the wow factor you really wish it had better battery life. My P1 gen2 in other configurations is rated at 14 hours. I usually don't get even 5 with the OLED. Would have preferred 1080p touch but none was available for my model at the time.

3. Possible bug that negatively effects wifi card when Miracast is also in use.. When I connect to my rt-ax88u network using P1's intel ax200 wifi adapter it's uber fast (saturates my 500Mb/s ISP connection from neighboring room). When I use it it with Microsoft's Miracast display adapter (v2) my wifi speed drops to under 100Mb/s. I don't experience this problem with my other laptop. Tried connecting to another slower wifi network that isn't ax while using the same miracast adapter and once again my performance was more than halved. Lenovo shipped me replacement wifi adapter and that didn't help. As of this date the issue remains unresolved for me. (to be fair, it could be something with my Microsofts' Miracast adapter that doesn't play nice with Intel's ax200 wifi adapter that ships with P1 G2 and Extreme G2 models)
There's got to be another reason than the oled to see a battery life drop of so much. I have spectre x360 and am getting almost 9 hours with the 4k display.
Oct 7, 2007
344 posts
27 upvotes
This is a great deal. I have the Gen1 version of this. Yes, battery life is not great. You can make this better and quieter by:

- Repasting the processor with high quality thermal paste
- Removing the plastic screen on the inside of the removable bottom piece to decrease fan noise
- increase performance and decrease noise by undervolting the processor and GPU with Throttlestop (now my fan doesn't come on at all, except when running games or processor intensive tasks, like rendering)

I also recommend reinstalling Windows when you get it. The factory install is slow.
Nov 6, 2016
947 posts
910 upvotes
thesteve wrote: Just ordered one. If I can tame the fan noise I'll be happy, if not it may have to go back. Certainly the best deal around if you want the OLED screen(a must have for me).
Dang!, How? It's out of stock or did you order earlier?
Apr 4, 2018
133 posts
77 upvotes
Can Lenovo price match with the custom build one?
Feb 14, 2007
151 posts
65 upvotes
indeals wrote: Dang!, How? It's out of stock or did you order earlier?
Not sure, I placed the order after someone had posted it was out of stock, somehow squeaked in under the wire. My confirmation says 13:58 EST.
Really glad I didn't miss out - I've been reloading the perkopolis link daily to look for additional deals, and this is the exact config I was looking for.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)