• Apr 26th, 2020 1:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6236 posts
5123 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Finally picked mine up from UPS

I've owned a ton of thinkpads in the past, and this is definitely the nicest one I've ever had. Will post some thoughts later

For folks that dread the initial setup process, Ninite lets you install some staples fairly painlessly

Quick thoughts:
- chassis quality is fantastic, but attracts fingerprints like crazy
- OLED is nice, but the touch layer definitely creates a lattice-like pattern on the screen, might bug people
- no issues with missed keystrokes, but the keys require more force than all of my other thinkpads, good for angry/passionate typists
- fans spin up. a lot. and they're loud.
- issue with brightness control on latest updates; workaround is to disable hybrid graphics in bios (impacts battery life)
- able to charge off of a 65w charger on light work
- speakers are meh; neutral sound signature with poor clarity; stick to headphones

Overall, this machine is far from perfect, and I wouldn't recommend it at the usual 2k+ asking price. At $1650, however, this is a fantastic machine as long as you appreciate it for what it is - a powerful business workstation
Last edited by aeba7 on Mar 14th, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Feb 14, 2007
151 posts
65 upvotes
Downloaded the recovery image from Lenovo tonight for a flash drive. I brought the X1 back to exactly as it came out of the box and repeated the update process. This time I did Win10 updates first but delayed feature updates. So I am still on 1903 instead of 1909. I then installed all of the Lenovo driver updates using Vantage. At one point my screen did goto max brightness but a reboot had it working fine again.
So at least I can use hybrid graphics again over the weekend. Maybe the feature update to 1909 would work now without messing it up, who knows. I am surprised more people aren't complaining about the problem. It makes me wonder if there is a update order that would keep things working.
I've also done some stress testing of the machine and a CPU core and cache undervolt of .125 volts seems fine. I am also undervolting the GPU .100 volts. So far based on the numbers I'm seeing I doubt a repaste would gain anything.
Dark theme everywhere possible and a black default background, we'll see how battery life is.

Supposedly Lenovo removed the auto keyboard backlight - this seems rather lame.
Apr 26, 2012
376 posts
255 upvotes
TORONTO
@thesteve thanks for the walkthrough. I’ll hold out for a fix. LMK if you’re returning I’ll follow your lead. It’s a beautiful machine and a great deal to boot.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1324 posts
711 upvotes
wakka2u wrote: arghh.. not in the mood or excited to open it right now. giant hole in the middle of the box /through label. thanks UPS. Good thing i also got accidental warranty.

laptop looks ok with the hole in the box - it was just the spacing between the foam and box that got pressed probably. havent unwrapped it yet but figured if a truck can roll over this thinkpad tank, UPS would be less damage, plus i got the accidental warranty anyways for peace of mind. that being said, i might have seconds thoughts now with this $1987 mean laptop after taxes

thanks again OP!

other hot deal maybe??
ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) - Black-
Web Price:$3,079.00After Instant Savings:$1,385.55
After eCoupon: (DON'T activate coupon) it will stay $1385.55 at checkout works with some other laptops too. not sure if it's an error (Happy hunting)
another config option next to it is [ $1,543.05 with 3yr warranty and 16gb soldered memory]

Processor: 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8350U Processor with vPro™ (1.70GHz, up to 3.60GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 6 MB Cache)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
Display Type: 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, 300 nits
Memory: 8 GB LPDDR3 2133MHz (Soldered)
Hard Drive: 256 GB PCIe SSD
Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
Graphics: Integrated Intel® UHD 620
Camera: 720p HD
Fingerprint Reader: Fingerprint Reader
Keyboard: Backlit - US English
Wireless: Intel® Dual Band 8265 AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 4.1 with vPro™
Integrated Mobile Broadband: None

or Silver i7-8650Uwith 3yr warranty better with better specs for $375 difference = )
Web Price:$3,909.00Sale Price:$1,759.05 (DON'T use coupon at checkout) config below:

Processor: 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor with vPro™ (1.90 GHz, up to 4.20 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 8 MB Cache)
Display Type: 14.0" WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS, anti-glare, 300 nits
Memory: 8 GB LPDDR3 2133MHz (Soldered)
Hard Drive: 256 GB PCIe SSD
Warranty: 3 Year Depot or Carry-in
Graphics: Integrated Intel® UHD 620
Camera: IR & 720p HD
Wireless: Intel® Dual Band 8265 AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 4.1 with vPro™

or for the Yoga fans ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Generation - Black Web Price:$4,739.00Sale Price:$1,895.60 - DON'T use coupon.

Processor: 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor with vPro™ (1.90 GHz, up to 4.20 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 8 MB Cache)
Display Type: 14.0" WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS, anti-reflective, anti-smudge, touchscreen, 300 nits
Memory: 16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz (Soldered)
Hard Drive: 512 GB PCIe SSD
Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
Graphics: Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 620
Battery: 4 cell Li-Ion 54Wh
Camera: IR & 720p HD
Pen: ThinkPad Pen Pro (Garaged)
Wireless: Intel® Dual Band 8265 Wireless AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 4.1 with vPro™
Feb 14, 2007
151 posts
65 upvotes
Well, after lots of testing I have applied for an RMA. We got the laptop for a great discount but even at the sale price I don't think it is worth it. It has too many fundamental problems. The OLED screen just doesn't compare to the one in my Yoga X1 gen II or my Samsung S10. The touch layer that has been added ruins the crisp nature it should have. My second major problem is the video card management and HDMI. I have a flight sim I need to be able to run and it is glitchy using the Intel or the Nvidia graphics. Similar issues have been reported by other users. Supposedly running the laptop in discrete graphics mode may be a work around but I don't find that acceptable due to the battery drain for every other use. The HDMI output also seems to have a little bit of lag/stutter - also a known issue. For reference the flight sim is not resource intensive. I can run it at 1920x1080 with no issues on my Yoga X1 gen II with an i7-7600U and its built in graphics. It also generates HDMI video with no issues.

I was disappointed Lenovo seems to have removed the auto keyboard backlight option on newer laptops. The backlighting on the keyboard is also pretty terrible with light bleed from under the upper keys. It also seems odd that they don't offer an LTE option for the X1 Extreme.

On the more positive side I don't actually have an issue with the battery life using hybrid graphics, using my usual dark theme I find it quite acceptable. I also didn't have any missed keys from the keyboard during my testing, although I did find the spring tension on the keys to be excessive. The feel of my Yoga X1 keyboard is much better. Lastly the fan noise was not an issue after optimizing the settings and the CPU and graphics both worked very nicely when undervolted.

I assume the driver issue that locks the screen at full brightness will be fixed at some point and always recommend deferring feature updates with ThinkPad's to give Lenovo a chance to update the drivers.

I believe I will purchase the warranty extension for my Yoga X1 to extend it from 3 to 5 years and will keep enjoying it(the OLED panels do tend to crap out, but Lenovo keeps replacing them for me).

All in all a real shame, I had hoped to love the X1 Extreme as ThinkPad's with OLED's screens aren't a common thing.

I can keep my fingers crossed they will someday make an OLED Carbon X1 that is under 2.5 pounds.
Apr 26, 2012
376 posts
255 upvotes
TORONTO
Thanks @thesteve this is my first OLED display bigger thank my iPhone. So it’s pretty impressive. I’m not impressed with having to driver issues. So will be setting up the RMA as well.

Just curious any concerns or experience with burn in on your OLED displays? NVM re-read your post

Thanks again for sharing
Feb 14, 2007
151 posts
65 upvotes
Finally got my RMA. Lenovo actually called and offered a discount if I would keep it. But I'm still sending it back.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)