• Jan 27th, 2019 5:09 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2016
133 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
RD274S wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:45 am
Is this a mistake? Who on earth was likely to pay 4,100 for a 1050ti laptop. Even 1693 is almost bullshit territory for a 1050ti laptop supposedly on 'sale'.
People who want an X1 Extreme aren't the ones who prioritize top tier GPUs over an ultralight form factor. For example, a 1080 would thermal throttle instantly in a thin-and-light chassis, it's just not thermally possible. Look into gaming laptops or desktops for cheaper/better gaming price and performance.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7285 posts
2699 upvotes
MVRD
fallenstarx wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:54 am
I'm still rocking a t400 from 10 years ago
Nice. X200 here.

Do you Coreboot / Libreboot?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
1826 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
x1 CArbon 6th gen
That's what I would get. I would get it over the XPS 13, because I don't like dongle life...

Dec 11, 2004
287 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jellytime wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 12:49 pm
x1 CArbon 6th gen
That's what I would get. I would get it over the XPS 13, because I don't like dongle life...

Im also waiting on this model go down to 40% again as I'm not in a big rush. I wish the HDR was also touch and non glossy.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2016
133 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
architect wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 12:56 pm
Im also waiting on this model go down to 40% again as I'm not in a big rush. I wish the HDR was also touch and non glossy.
You may not need to wait long, X1 Carbon 7th Gen was announced At CES:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13833/le ... ts-thinner

500-nit HDR screen at 1.08kgs? Yes please! Hopefully that means the 6th gens drop more than 30% soon
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15048 posts
7413 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
kebnroo wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 9:00 am
In my opinion, Lenovo Thinkpad laptops have some of the best keyboards on the market, are built like a tank, have a spill-proof keyboard, have very affordable warranty/accidental damage coverage, and even provide on-site repair if needed.
Be careful with that. No ThinkPad keyboard is spill-proof, nor does Lenovo claim that feature. There's no way that the spill pan and drainage holes can handle more than a small spill without overflowing. Yes, if you spill a small amount of liquid you should be OK. But if you spill a glass full, maybe not. And if the liquid is a sugary drink like sweetened coffee/tea or worse, pop (or beer), all bets are off. The sugar will make the keys sticky. At best these keyboards are spill-resistant.

But nowadays you have to be even more careful than that. You can no longer assume that even flagship models incorporate the classic ThinkPad spill-resistant liquid drainage design. For example, Lenovo's specs say that the X1E is spill-resistant. But they make no such claim for the ultra-thin X1C6. I can confirm that my X1C6 lacks liquid drainage holes. The same applies to the T480s. This seems to be a consequence of the race towards the thinnest systems on the market. In order to achieve that goal the manufacturer has to make sacrifices. And this is one of them.

Also be aware that some newer models like the X1C6 (dunno about the X1E) also lack the customer-replaceable keyboard that used to be standard on all ThinkPads. The keyboard on the X1C6 is integrated with the top bezel assembly. Replacing a keyboard that's been damaged by liquid is an expensive process, not only because the replacement assembly can cost half the price of a new system but because the replacement procedure involves an almost full stripdown of the entire system unit.

I mention this because, as a longtime ThinkPad user who ASSumed they all had drain holes, this came as a complete surprise to me . So if you're prone to spilling liqiuids then choose your ThinkPad model carefully and/or get Accidental Damage Protection (ADP).

That be clear, I love my X1C6. It's easily the best ThinkPad I've owned. But, no it's not spill-resistant let alone spill-proof. Caveat emptor.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 21, 2014
429 posts
383 upvotes
Atlantic
SnakesInTheGrass wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:17 pm
Oh I guess you didn't have any input huh? /s
If I didn't have any input, I wouldn't be posting on this thread in general.

My input is this, I think Lenovo is a slimy company. While people have mentioned data privacy/leakage in China, this is not one of my considerations or reasons as to why Lenovo is slimy.

That being said, I do think Lenovo is a slimy company because they don't honor prices. Most recently, the T730 desktop around Christmas time. Not only that, this is not the first time that this company has engaged in this type of behavior of honoring prices.
CTVNews lenovo-makes-100-goodwill-offer-after-cancelling-orders-due-to-pricing-error

An interesting theory: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/jackwes ... ry-658663/
Last edited by EasyCompany251 on Jan 16th, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2005
661 posts
190 upvotes
Not sure why people are comparing just on specs. The build quality has been leagues above other brands for decades. There’s a reason why people chose Toyota over Doge or KIA.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2134 posts
482 upvotes
Calgary
EasyCompany251 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:31 pm

My input is this, I think Lenovo is a slimy company. While people have mentioned data privacy/leakage in China, this is not one of my considerations or reasons as to why Lenovo is slimy.

That being said, I do think Lenovo is a slimy company because they don't honor prices. Most recently, the T730 desktop around Christmas time. Not only that, this is not the first time that this company has engaged in this type of behavior of honoring prices.
CTVNews lenovo-makes-100-goodwill-offer-after-cancelling-orders-due-to-pricing-error

Not honoring prices and not honoring price errors are two different things. People knew that these were price errors when they bought them or took advantage of a loophole.

EDIT: Spelling
Last edited by Asoul on Jan 16th, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 11, 2004
287 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wow good news on price drop coming. But also dammit... now I may be be tempted by the new gen but I'll have to wait for notebookcheck to review them to make sure it's just as good as the gen 6 HDR which has 100% SRGB, 500 nit, and 1500:1 contrast. It does't seem like much improvements. If it's the same panel then I'll wait to jump on gen 6 clearances.
Oct 24, 2016
37 posts
41 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:31 pm

Thank you for providing valuable information finally. Will gladly give it a read when people provide concrete information and not just blabber.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2134 posts
482 upvotes
Calgary
architect wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:39 pm
Wow good news on price drop coming. But also dammit... now I may be be tempted by the new gen but I'll have to wait for notebookcheck to review them to make sure it's just as good as the gen 6 HDR which has 100% SRGB and 1500:1 contrast. It does't seem like much improvements. If it's the same panel then I'll wait to jump on gen 6 clearances.
I read the new HDR panel is going to be 4k vs 1440p
Nov 21, 2014
429 posts
383 upvotes
Atlantic
Asoul wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:38 pm
Not honoring prices and not honoring price errors are two different things. People knew that these were price errors when they bought them or took advantage of a loophole.
My concern is that there are too many "price errors."

Price errors happen to all retailers, which is understandable - whether or not they honor such price errors is up to them - as it always says in fine print: Not Responsible for typographical errors.

But the rate at which it has been occurring at Lenovo is simply too great to be simply chance or a random error.
Dec 11, 2004
287 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Asoul wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:42 pm
I read the new HDR panel is going to be 4k vs 1440p
Thanks, I missed that. That's a big deal. Will be a tougher choice for me if they can do the same specs with 4K. Here's hoping they don't just so I can sleep well and wait for the gen 6 clearance.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
1313 posts
34 upvotes
TheZodiac wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 9:39 am
Who do you recommend for a laptop?
Truthfully ACER has been the most reliable company I've bought laptops from. Owned 5 of theirs (from lower end to their higher end gaming ones) within my family the last 10+years and they have been rock solid, not even a drive failure. Only issue I've had was one of the high end ones cpu/system fan began to make a loud whirring ( after 5 years of owning) which I replaced and still runs strong.

I cant say the same for Lenovo, been in IT for last 20 years with various companies and they've almost all used them exclusively....had two of them fail (random power off's due to MB issue, another with screen) and one of them was an x1 carbon. I would expect more from such expensive hardware, I will say the finish on them are solid but you also give up portability with the added weight because of that compared to other similar notebooks.