• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2019 6:38 am
[OP]
Nov 1, 2019
7 posts
8 upvotes

[Lenovo Canada] Yoga C940 14" 4K - Mica - $1,754.99

Part Number: 81Q9000JUS

Let me know what you guys think of this deal. I've been keeping a close eye on this specific model because it has a 4K screen, but the $2K+ price was too steep. Never seen it go below $2k until now.

If you get it through Rakuten it's actually more expensive ($1,826.99)

Here are the main specs:

10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 (1.30GHz, up to 3.90GHz with Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)
Windows 10 Home 64
14.0" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, touchscreen, glossy, 500nits
16GB LPDDR4X 3733MHz (Soldered)
1TB SSD PCIe
1 Year Depot or Carry-in
Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics
720p HD
Active Pen
Fingerprint Reader
Backlit - US English
Intel® 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0

Ports:
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2** Type-C / Intel Thunderbolt™ 3 (Power Delivery, DisplayPort)
1 x USB 3. 1 Gen 2** Type-A
Headphone/mic combo
11 replies
Nov 21, 2009
857 posts
240 upvotes
Calgary
Way too overpriced...
Apr 26, 2003
105 posts
30 upvotes
I think it is a decent deal for the laptop. Others might not see it as a good value but this laptop checks a lot of boxes for me. If it had a 16:10 or 3:2 screen and a tad bit lighter it would be perfect but that is getting nitpicky.

I ordered it last night with 3 year premium care and 3 year accidental for about $90 more than what it comes out to with your link. I ordered through rakuten and SMB Pro but my cash back was only $23 and I was expecting around $235 based on the 12% cash back.. I think the "coupon" that lenovo makes you apply to get the price might be why. In any case I canceled my order and will likely order it again through your link.
Fox2
Dec 12, 2019
3 posts
3 upvotes
Ordered on Friday through Rakuten. Paid $2115.35 After tax and received $224.64 cash back =$1890.71. It should be the best price so far. I’ve been watching this model since it was released. Was debating between x1Yoga gen4 and C940, but eventually choose this one mostly for the iris plus graphics.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2011
1420 posts
506 upvotes
What is the theme or selling point of the Yoga series?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3158 posts
878 upvotes
Mars
ssy080 wrote: Way too overpriced...
i agree, but comparing to 3000+ MBP 16“...
Dec 16, 2013
86 posts
61 upvotes
Burnaby
Did this model only come out around 3 months ago? Pretty good that theres this big of a discount so quickly (or bad if it's just not selling well). Just considering performance specs alone this doesnt seem like a hot deal but rather an ok deal. It does have other perks going for it such as build quality, weight, Atmos sound bar, tablet mode with a built in stylus holder etc. Seems less a main stream product and more towards niche spectrum.
Nov 21, 2009
857 posts
240 upvotes
Calgary
forgetpwd wrote: i agree, but comparing to 3000+ MBP 16“...
Well you can't ever compare to apple.. xD
Sep 14, 2007
162 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
There must be some point for people to pay this much. Now I am genuinely curious and I am not being disrespectful. Just because I don't see the value doesn't mean the value isn't there, but would a kind soul patiently explain to me where that value is?

Right now I am contemplating an even more expensive Thinkpad which people would say is even more overpriced because I see value in it that others don't, but that's another story...
Apr 26, 2003
105 posts
30 upvotes
It is hard to find something light with a good CPU, decent graphics performance, bright and high res screen, 2 in 1, good non-bilingual keyboard, thunderbolt, etc..

If you want puire specs then the Y740 for ~1700 with 144Hz 500 nit 1080p screen, RTX 2060, etc.. seemed like a really good deal but is now sold though. Totally different kind of laptop though.

The Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 is a contender and even has a 16:10 screen but the soldered SSD kills it for me. I keep my laptops for a pretty long time and not being able to replace storage is just too much for me. Dell says laptops are becoming like phones and you don't worry about your phone's storage being non replaceable. Well I don't keep my phone for 5+ years.. I switch it almost every year..

HP Spectre 2 in 1 is also another option. I passed on one while I was in Vegas a week ago for $1499 USD with a 4K OLED screen at Best Buy because I am not sure about having an OLED screen on a laptop (lots of reports of whites being kind of yellow and diamond patterns etc..). But otherwise it would be a close competitor. Although it is 13.3 inches not 14 inches like the C940 and with my poor eyes the bigger the screen the better.

I hear you on value though, spec wise you aren't getting as much. In fact I decided not to re-order mine and am going to try a couple of other laptops first. I ordered an Acer Swift 5 ice lake (16GB version) which is a super light ice lake laptop for $1565 all in. It isn't 2 in 1 or have as nice of a screen (only 300 nit 1080p touchscreen but matte) but it might be good enough for me. The appeal for me is that it is super light weight at about 2 lbs. I also ordered the Envy X360 15 (Ryzen 7 model) that was posted here and will see if that is something I prefer. (Larger screen and 2 in 1) but I would be giving up the nicer screen, Thunderbolt, light weight, etc.. You just have to pay more if you want all those things in one device. Another route I was thinking was getting a cheaper gaming laptop for when I want to game and then a Tab S6 for browsing on the couch etc..

TLDR; you have to pay more to get all the premium features. The combination of Ice Lake CPU, 2-in-1, great screen, lightweight and thunderbolt is hard to find cheap.
Fox2
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7092 posts
155 upvotes
Nepean
Just for people on the fence, the previous generation 920/930 were on sale a couple weeks back for about ~1k and now for about $750 more you get 10gen cpu, 16gb, 1tb, wifi6, 4k, slightly newer tb3 chipset, and better iGPU. Most of these upgrades are non-upgradable in the previous model (except wifi card and perhaps ssd in gen2).
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1807 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
halhen1 wrote: What is the theme or selling point of the Yoga series?
Thin, light, decently powerful package in a convertible form factor. The C9 models are the more expensive flagship series in the Yoga line. You could get cheaper models that offer some of the same value but they'll always be more expensive than non-convertibles with the same spec. For my usage, the premium is definitely worth it.