• Mar 1st, 2021 4:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3582 posts
1197 upvotes
Ontario

Lenovo E570 Laptop just died

My 4 year old Lenovo E570 died suddenly last night.

It was working fine then I closed the cover. It was plugged in. When I went to use it 2 hrs later the power light was on but the screen stayed black. Tried several things but screen always stays black with no apparent fan/computer sounds. Power button has green light though.

Any suggestions? I'd like to bring it back to life or at least save my data on SSD.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.1%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
6 replies
Nov 6, 2014
751 posts
1145 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Hold down the power button until all the lights turn off. Then plug it in and power it back on. It should work. There might be a reset button on the bottom through a pinhole but can't confirm if your model has it. Last resort open it up, unplug the button cell battery and plug it back in. Turn it on and if it work you just need to reset the time/date. Good luck. I'd be surprised if its dead, likely hibernated and hung up and not able to wake.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3582 posts
1197 upvotes
Ontario
fordmaple wrote: Hold down the power button until all the lights turn off. Then plug it in and power it back on. It should work. There might be a reset button on the bottom through a pinhole but can't confirm if your model has it. Last resort open it up, unplug the button cell battery and plug it back in. Turn it on and if it work you just need to reset the time/date. Good luck. I'd be surprised if its dead, likely hibernated and hung up and not able to wake.
Thanks for the tips.

Searched all over the laptop but no visible reset button.

I powered the pc off and then disconnected the cmos battery. Didn't work.

Any other ideas?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6660 posts
6500 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i remember having my thinkpad behave similarly - but removing the main and cmos batteries did the trick

i agree that it might be in a weird hibernation/limbo state. maybe unplug it, remove the main and cmos batteries for a night, put it back together and try powering it on again?
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5686 posts
2259 upvotes
Debtario
Tried this already? https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y ... m-p/471135

Does anything flash on the screen when booting, can you see the bios or lenovo splash screen?

When you plug in the power adapter, does the power come on by itself, or do you have to press the power button? Any HD activity while the screen is black?

If the ram isn't soldered, you could take out all the ram and try booting to see if the machine beeps at you.

Last machine I saw with that issue turned out to be a bad gpu that needed to be reflowed with a heat gun, assuming the ac adapter is ok because if you have a working battery and it still happens on battery, its not a power issue.

Fortunately your data can be saved if it has a removable drive or ssd, just need another machine and a usb to SATA or m.2 adapter if you dont have a desktop.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11280 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Its not a button it will be a small little pin hole and you stick a pin inside and you will feel the button when you push it down. However not all models have this so yours may not.

Its not the cmos battery, you need to disconnect the main battery in the laptop. You can even disconnect it then plug in power and see if the laptop turns on with the main battery unplugged. If it works turn it off and plug in the battery and put it back together
minimalist wrote: Thanks for the tips.

Searched all over the laptop but no visible reset button.

I powered the pc off and then disconnected the cmos battery. Didn't work.

Any other ideas?
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3582 posts
1197 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks to all.

Was able to restart it by remove main battery and disconnecting Cmos battery. Then I waited 6 hours before reconnecting. Started up but needed to reset Bios clock. From now on I will shutdown every time after use!