Computers & Electronics

Lenovo ThinkBook 13s Gen 2 (AMD) - Tweaks, Upgrades, BIOS, Mods, Experiences

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2021 1:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 29, 2004
12784 posts
11610 upvotes
Oil Country

Lenovo ThinkBook 13s Gen 2 (AMD) - Tweaks, Upgrades, BIOS, Mods, Experiences

I figure since many of us scored ThinkBook 13s Gen 2 (AMD) laptops for a great deal recently, I figured I'd create a thread where people can share Tweaks, Upgrades, BIOS, Mods, Experiences with others, so we can improve the user experience. This would also be a great place to ask questions or for help, since there are multiples threads being used.

Some items shared could also work with the ThinkBook 13s Gen 2 (Intel) models too.

Please add/update the thread summary.
Thread Summary
Loud fan when performing minor or simple tasks
Fix 1 (I found this fix works better):
- Refer to this post for details/explanation:
https://www.reddit.com/r/laptops/commen ... e/fuxozft/

- Perform the steps in this video


- Then edit your Power Options. You should see a new option under Processor power management called Processor performance boost mode. Make the change in the screenshot below.
Image

Fix 2:
- By changing the "maximum process state" from 100 to 98 seem to have resolved the fan issue. This will limit power to the CPU from100 to 98%. My fan rarely turns on now (even when plugged in) during normal workloads (YouTube, browsing, checking emails etc). It will still turn on during heavy load (which is expected). I am also on "intelligent cooling" in the vantage app. Try it and to see if it works for you. It was also suggested to turn cooling mode from "active" to "passive" in power settings when plugged in but I left it as active and it's working quite well now. (Credit to Retep78)
Image

CPU stuck on a low clock speed after running the battery down
- When the laptop is running on battery power, the CPU clock speed drops to a lower speed and gets stuck there
Image

- I believe this occurs when Battery Saver mode kicks in. In my case it activates with 20% charge left in the battery. (This is confirmed)
Image

- I suspect the issue will disappear if you change the 'Turn battery saver on automatically at' value to Never
Image
- To restore the CPU's performance, just restart your system

ICC Profile for Lenovo ThinkBook 13s Gen 2 (AMD)
- The default color accuracy for the ThinkBook isn't very good
- I used a SpyderX Pro with DisplayCAL to calibrate my ThinkBook's display
- The ICC profile that was generated using DisplayCAL can be downloaded from the link below:
https://mega.nz/file/JhATwACS#-5pbOEeiI ... 4SWNrbcoKQ

Renoir Mobile Tuning App (WARNING!!! Use at your OWN risk)
https://liliputing.com/2020/10/0renoir- ... ially.html
https://github.com/sbski/Renoir-Mobile-Tuning

Ryzen Controller (WARNING!!! Use at your OWN risk)
https://www.ryzencontroller.com/

EIZO Monitor Test
- Good for checking uniformity issues, dead pixels, backlight bleed, etc
https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/

How to access the BIOS
- Hit the F1 key during boot up
- If the Windows rotating circles appear, you need to try again
26 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1002 posts
646 upvotes
I appreciate the effort people put in solving the isssue

However, I wonder if this issue is random and indicate a problem with the quality control or it is an issue with every device? Amputing performance/capabilities from the device we just purchased because it is not functionning correctly is not in the best interest of consumer especially since the retun window is not infinite and dealing with waranty will not be fun. Plus if the manufacturer is not willing to deal with the issue now, they probbly never will.

My brother just received his thinkbook. Fan is almost always spinning even when doing absolutely nothing with the pc. A faint static noise can be heard when the fan briefly spin down. The noise is not present when unplugged. I have a hard time recommending keeping the device as when the summer heat will soon come the fan will be full blast all the time.

Also, pretty sure he got a refurb/open box because the machine already had more than 50 hours uptime and the sticker sealing the box was cut.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 29, 2004
12784 posts
11610 upvotes
Oil Country
ultimatum wrote: I appreciate the effort people put in solving the isssue

However, I wonder if this issue is random and indicate a problem with the quality control or it is an issue with every device? Amputing performance/capabilities from the device we just purchased because it is not functionning correctly is not in the best interest of consumer especially since the retun window is not infinite and dealing with waranty will not be fun. Plus if the manufacturer is not willing to deal with the issue now, they probbly never will.

My brother just received his thinkbook. Fan is almost always spinning even when doing absolutely nothing with the pc. A faint static noise can be heard when the fan briefly spin down. The noise is not present when unplugged. I have a hard time recommending keeping the device as when the summer heat will soon come the fan will be full blast all the time.

Also, pretty sure he got a refurb/open box because the machine already had more than 50 hours uptime and the sticker sealing the box was cut.
I think some issues are due to products being sold to consumers before all of the kinks are worked out. With laptops they probably release base versions of each model with the major issues worked out, but still expecting to fix the remaining minor issues through driver and BIOS updates.
Member
Feb 28, 2021
206 posts
361 upvotes


I did a review video on the laptop. And there are a few more on my channel. This one also has some gaming benchmarks
Member
Feb 28, 2021
206 posts
361 upvotes


I did a review video on the laptop. And there are a few more on my channel. This one also has some gaming benchmarks
Member
Nov 5, 2014
257 posts
117 upvotes
Someone from the 14/4500u thread mentioned:
ryde or die wrote: Got my laptop today. My quick observations:

snip
[*]This thing flies, it even feels faster compared to my 10th gen Intel laptop. I've also wiped the default install and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro (not necessary at all, as there is only a few things that are bloat).
[*]Fan is quiet at basic use, only heard it when doing a BIOS update.
snip
I wonder if a fresh Windows 10 install, and not installing the Lenovo ITS and other Lenovo stuff will help with the aggressive fan curve.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 29, 2004
12784 posts
11610 upvotes
Oil Country
Bosschiefamomaster wrote: Someone from the 14/4500u thread mentioned:



I wonder if a fresh Windows 10 install, and not installing the Lenovo ITS and other Lenovo stuff will help with the aggressive fan curve.
I uninstalled all of the Lenovo bloat and the scheduled tasks, and it didn't make a difference. It's possible there was still something affecting the CPU/fans. I guess that would be a good test if someone is willing to give it a go and post their results.
Member
Nov 5, 2014
257 posts
117 upvotes
I received my second unit two nights ago, and have only used it for setup/updating/testing/benchmarks.

I was going to try a fresh Windows 10 install tonight, but using the laptop for the past hour or so on default advanced settings of the power plan and Intelligent mode, I noticed that the fans do not run as much as the first unit that I returned (due to a minor hinge cover/hinge issue). I'll skip the fresh install for now.

HWInfo reports CPU temp between 39c and 59c with 30+ tabs on firefox, netflix app, along with zoom. Fans rarely run, and when they do, not at the annoyingly loud max rpm like on the first unit. That one had temperature spikes over 70c even with light use. I remember just opening the Zoom app ramps up the fans on it.

Both are on latest BIOS, firmware, and driver versions. Mfg date on this is 2021/02/19 while the first unit was sometime in January.
Member
Nov 5, 2014
257 posts
117 upvotes
Who wants to hammer down and make dents on the grills of the bottom plate adjacent to the fans? It might be the ultimate fix to the noise without sacrificing performance. Fix #3? Face With Tears Of Joy

"I listened to the fans with the bottom plate removed: Pure whoosh, no whine. That means the whine is caused by the slotted grille dividing air flow into turbulent jets which then impact the fan blades. Silencing solution described after this review." - Harri K. H.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7206 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone knows if this toy would talk Linux???
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28886 posts
4610 upvotes
Montreal
max011 wrote: Anyone knows if this toy would talk Linux???
I have the thinkbook 14 Ryzen 4700u. I run Linux (KDE Neon) with no issues. Use kernel 5.8.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7206 upvotes
Vancouver
mr_raider wrote: I have the thinkbook 14 Ryzen 4700u. I run Linux (KDE Neon) with no issues. Use kernel 5.8.
Thanks so much...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Newbie
Apr 23, 2018
16 posts
6 upvotes
I have the 13s Gen2 ITL with Intel i7. Linux works almost perfectly, there is a problem with speaker (headphones, hdmi, BT audio works, but no sound through speaker). This is a somewhat known problem with Linux and a lot of Lenovo (even other brand) Tiger Lake processor computer...

Anyone knows how to access advanced Bios configuration on those conputer (13s gen 2) ?
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 29, 2004
12784 posts
11610 upvotes
Oil Country
Dantahoua wrote: I have the 13s Gen2 ITL with Intel i7. Linux works almost perfectly, there is a problem with speaker (headphones, hdmi, BT audio works, but no sound through speaker). This is a somewhat known problem with Linux and a lot of Lenovo (even other brand) Tiger Lake processor computer...

Anyone knows how to access advanced Bios configuration on those conputer (13s gen 2) ?
If it's anything like the AMD version, just hammer on the F1 key while your computer is starting up.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4824 posts
1488 upvotes
Well this sucks. My Thinkbook 13S Gen2 has stopped charging. When plugged in nothing happens. The charging LED doesn't turn on either. Trying different outlets doesn't help. I don't have a second power adapter so I can't test that, but when trying phone USB-C cable it doesn't detect that (normally Windows would have a pop up saying it's too low power). Anyone else have this problem? Apparently this is a known problem with USB-C ports across all Lenovo laptops.

Update: Temporarily fixed this. Per the below Lenovo "Troubleshooting No Power Issues" page:
If the laptop still does not power on, try a power drain:
4. On other laptops (without a pin hole reset or Novo button), press and hold the power button for at least 10 seconds.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/prod ... wer-issues
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 29, 2004
12784 posts
11610 upvotes
Oil Country
Mulder and Scully wrote: Well this sucks. My Thinkbook 13S Gen2 has stopped charging. When plugged in nothing happens. The charging LED doesn't turn on either. Trying different outlets doesn't help. I don't have a second power adapter so I can't test that, but when trying phone USB-C cable it doesn't detect that (normally Windows would have a pop up saying it's too low power). Anyone else have this problem? Apparently this is a known problem with USB-C ports across all Lenovo laptops.

Update: Temporarily fixed this. Per the below Lenovo "Troubleshooting No Power Issues" page:
If the laptop still does not power on, try a power drain:
4. On other laptops (without a pin hole reset or Novo button), press and hold the power button for at least 10 seconds.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/prod ... wer-issues
That sucks... haven't experience that.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 29, 2004
12784 posts
11610 upvotes
Oil Country
I just used a SpyderX Pro with the DisplayCAL software to calibrate the display on my ThinkBook. The ICC profile can be downloaded from the link below if anyone wants to try it. IMO, there is a noticeable improvement in the color accuracy.

https://gofile.io/d/Mg5mdi

*Update*

One person on Reddit gave it a try, and they confirmed that there was an improvement in the color accuracy. They noticed the colors popped more and it fixed the cool-blue tint issue.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4824 posts
1488 upvotes
Anyone having mouse lag when connected to a 4K monitor?

I have my Thinkbook connected to my 4K TV via HDMI 2.0. Both the 4700U and HDMI 2.0 support 4K 60Hz. My mouse is a Logitech M720 connected via Bluetooth and there's movement or response lag. However there's no lag when my Thinkbook is connected to my 1440p monitor.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)