Lenovo ThinkBook 13s Gen 2 (AMD) - Tweaks, Upgrades, BIOS, Mods, Experiences

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2021 1:13 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
Mulder and Scully wrote: Anyone having mouse lag when connected to a 4K monitor?

I have my Thinkbook connected to my 4K TV via HDMI 2.0. Both the 4700U and HDMI 2.0 support 4K 60Hz. My mouse is a Logitech M720 connected via Bluetooth and there's movement or response lag. However there's no lag when my Thinkbook is connected to my 1440p monitor.
Not me... I'm using a Logitech Triathlon (M720) mouse with the built-in bluetooth and a Samsung 4K monitor (4K/60Hz via HDMI).
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
Bosschiefamomaster wrote: BIOS update from June 17 (thermal table update) seems to have fixed the aggressive fan curve. I'm now back to using the Lenovo ITS with Intelligent Cooling while plugged in.
This is worked for me. I removed the reg tweak I previously made, and so far so good.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1472 posts
2776 upvotes
Ontario
Woke up the other day and suddenly my 13s won't turn on and won't charge, I don't even get the charge LED illuminated when it's plugged in. I let it sit overnight and no change. There sounds like a faint ticking noise near the charge port when it's plugged in so I have to wonder if there's a hardware issue.

Curious if anyone else has had this, or if it's just bad luck. Still have 4 months of warranty on it, but I hear Lenovo warranty will be a nightmare to deal with!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
mindabsence wrote: Woke up the other day and suddenly my 13s won't turn on and won't charge, I don't even get the charge LED illuminated when it's plugged in. I let it sit overnight and no change. There sounds like a faint ticking noise near the charge port when it's plugged in so I have to wonder if there's a hardware issue.
Look up above at my reply #17 that had this same issue. Solution fixed it and I've had no troubles since.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1472 posts
2776 upvotes
Ontario
Mulder and Scully wrote: Look up above at my reply #17 that had this same issue. Solution fixed it and I've had no troubles since.
Unfortunately no luck with that for me - pressing and holding the power button does nothing, as does trying to use the Novo button. I suspect, from the audible clicking when the charger is connected, that there's something internal going on here.

EDIT: just an update for anyone finding this in the future - defective mainboard was the diagnostic of the local Lenovo service centre. They are awaiting on a new board. This was my suspicion from the weird electrical noise when connected to a charger.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
When I connect my Thinkbook to my TV I can't get 2560x1440 resolution and can't get 60 Hz in any resolution (4K, 1080p). So I'm seeing in Windows 10 is 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200) at 30 Hz when duplicating the Thinkbook display. What Windows settting should I be changing here?

TV: Vizio M-series 2019. All HDMI ports are 2.0.
Cable: HDMI 2.0 cable that came in the box with my PS4 Pro so it definitely supports 4K 60Hz.

Edit: Solved my own problem here. Turns out that this is a typical issue when connecting any PC to a TV. In Windows you have to manually change the refresh rate. Apparently Windows doesn't save the setting either.

Laptops: Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings > Choose Display > [select your TV] > Display Adapter Properties > List All Modes
or
Desktops: Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings > Refresh Rate
Last edited by Mulder and Scully on Nov 26th, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)