Shopping Discussion

Lens Crafters... A slight issue. What would you do?

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 12:14 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10863 posts
2002 upvotes
Toronto

Lens Crafters... A slight issue. What would you do?

Apr 15: purchased a new pair of glasses for $351.xx-$200 for benefits coverage.

Was told it would take up to 2 weeks for them to arrive.

2.5ish weeks goes by so I call and it's still "in processing"

Another week goes by and I call them to say basically where the hell are my glasses I paid for? They told me they just arrived but haven't checked them yet.

I went into the store only to be told the order was sent to the wrong store.. (so how did they arrive then?)

I was being nice because I this wasn't the employees fault.

It is now going on to 5 weeks. What would you do? Should I ask for some sort of discoint refunded to me or am I at a loss for the time. This is completely ridiculous and I feel like someone actually forgot to put the order through in the first place. I called yesterday and they said it would be another 1.5 weeks (up to) to which I said this isn't good enough and that if I don't have them in the next week I'm coming for a full refund regardless of what excuse they make.

Thankfully my prescription didn't change to the point where I actually need them asap.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3511 posts
2165 upvotes
Edmonton
Ridiculous! Demand a refund. Go to Costco.

BTW, isn’t LensCrafters the outfit that used to have onsite labs & advertised glasses in one hour?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15671 posts
16825 upvotes
Oakville
starchoice wrote: Ridiculous! Demand a refund. Go to Costco.

BTW, isn’t LensCrafters the outfit that used to have onsite labs & advertised glasses in one hour?
They're probably ordering from china just like clearly.ca
The guy at one of the glasses store nearby drive an Aston Martin Rapide, so that tells you what kind of profit they make.
Most of the glasses I get at clearly are $40-80 all in.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15481 posts
12680 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
engineered wrote: They're probably ordering from china just like clearly.ca
The guy at one of the glasses store nearby drive an Aston Martin Rapide, so that tells you what kind of profit they make.
Most of the glasses I get at clearly are $40-80 all in.
This statement is potentially misleading
And needs more info clarification

Glasses Store ... could be anywhere that sells eyeglasses
Be it a clinical setting, or a chain dispensary

Is he a chain (like LensCrafters) franchise owner
OR
Is he actually trained in Optometry ?
An Ophthalmologist is a REAL Doctor, with an MD so years & years of education
An Optometrist is also an eye professional... just in a different specialization... they have 4 years Uni then 4 years of Optometry Schooling

Both of those careers pay well... cuz of the actual years of schooling
So not that surprised if one of them drive an Aston Martin
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2171 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
I would go in and if its not still there, ask for a refund on the spot. Take the model number of the frame and go into any other store, they'll order it for you - likely cheaper (or check online like others have mentioned). If you're inclined to stick with Lenscrafters, go to a different location
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15671 posts
16825 upvotes
Oakville
PointsHubby wrote: This statement is potentially misleading
And needs more info clarification

Glasses Store ... could be anywhere that sells eyeglasses
Be it a clinical setting, or a chain dispensary

Is he a chain (like LensCrafters) franchise owner
OR
Is he actually trained in Optometry ?
An Ophthalmologist is a REAL Doctor, with an MD so years & years of education
An Optometrist is also an eye professional... just in a different specialization... they have 4 years Uni then 4 years of Optometry Schooling

Both of those careers pay well... cuz of the actual years of schooling
So not that surprised if one of them drive an Aston Martin
I'll check next time to see if they're an MD.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3046 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto, ON
esq05 wrote: I would go in and if its not still there, ask for a refund on the spot. Take the model number of the frame and go into any other store, they'll order it for you - likely cheaper (or check online like others have mentioned). If you're inclined to stick with Lenscrafters, go to a different location
This.

I went with Lenscrafters for my first pair of glasses too - and had a similar experience. When I went into the store to ask for a refund my glasses were magically able to be completed within an hour.

I do know that depending on the type of lenses you order, some of the items aren't on site and do have to be ordered from elsewhere but in any case the time you've waited so far is unacceptable.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9086 posts
2689 upvotes
London
Apr 15: purchased a new pair of glasses for $351.xx-$200 for benefits coverage.

The only issue I can see is if you cancel they may still submit your benefit coverage if they have the paperwork.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15671 posts
16825 upvotes
Oakville
Ottomaddox wrote: The only issue I can see is if you cancel they may still submit your benefit coverage if they have the paperwork.
Then you report it to your insurance as fraud.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11456 posts
3719 upvotes
Toronto
Lenscrafter is an overpriced retailer and yet give shitty service?
8-9 years ago, I walk in to do a eye test because I was waiting my car in service and wanted to kill some time. They charged me $120+tax....where most optometrist charges only $60-$70 at that time.

When I get my prescribed eye glasses at to other individual eye glasses stores, it takes few days to 1 week at the most. Let alone 5 weeks plus another 1.5 more.

I would call to cancel the order and get a refund, but if they are not giving out a refund, i will file a charge back to the credit card.
Buy your eye glasses elsewhere from now on. IMO, they should be the next retailer that needs to close down.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on May 29th, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11456 posts
3719 upvotes
Toronto
Ottomaddox wrote: The only issue I can see is if you cancel they may still submit your benefit coverage if they have the paperwork.
Then advise the insurance company that you never received the eyeglasses. The insurance company will sure chase that $200 with their own method, OP shouldn't have to worry about it.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9262 posts
3592 upvotes
The last time I bought glasses from Lenscrafters (fully loaded with designer frames, all coatings, Transitions and progressives) it was a week from a visit to the next door optometrist to getting my glasses. I would contact head office because your wait is exceptional. I doubt they can do much for you at store level.

I've bought through Clearly/Coastal and Lenscrafters, and Lenscrafters is absolutely better quality. With Clearly I was buying glasses too frequently because the coatings would flake off or the frames fell apart. I would not recommend them.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18651 posts
6709 upvotes
Toronto
First mistake going to Lenscrafters. Way overpriced. Best to buy your glasses online, just go to any Optometrist to get your number checked for $60 and then order your glasses.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10863 posts
2002 upvotes
Toronto
Chrispy wrote: This.

I went with Lenscrafters for my first pair of glasses too - and had a similar experience. When I went into the store to ask for a refund my glasses were magically able to be completed within an hour.

I do know that depending on the type of lenses you order, some of the items aren't on site and do have to be ordered from elsewhere but in any case the time you've waited so far is unacceptable.
The lenses had to be cross drilled for the frames which is why the lenses had to be done elsewhere.

Just called and they just came in so will be picking up tomorrow
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10863 posts
2002 upvotes
Toronto
update: at LC now and they magically can't find them.

Doing full refund and going somewhere else. With this lost pair and the other lost pair theyre now out $351x2
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15671 posts
16825 upvotes
Oakville
antigua1999 wrote: Thanks didnt know they existed. Have been using Clearly Contacts or Zenni.
Coastal is Clearly/ClearlyContacts. Their websites all take you to the same place.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote: Coastal is Clearly/ClearlyContacts. Their websites all take you to the same place.
lol good to know thanks