[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14389 posts
4955 upvotes
London

Lens won't work with flash

Hey everyone.

I have a one lens that works fine without flash, but as soon as I use flash it just gives me an error. All my other lenses work with flash.

Any idea what might cause this?

I'm using a 70d
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7729 posts
1611 upvotes
Probably helps to list the model of the flash and lens as well.

But make sure you try to update to the latest firmware on the camera first.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14389 posts
4955 upvotes
London
The flash is just built in.

Lens is a tokina 12-24 AT-X pro

It works fine on my T2i..... But every other lens I have works fine on my 70d
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7729 posts
1611 upvotes
You are on manual setting and forcing the flash to fire and it still doesn't work ??

If it is on auto, chances are the lens is pretty wide at F4 and 70D is pretty capable in low light compared to the T2i, the metering on the camera may be reading that it doesn't need to flash so it doesn't.
Last edited by hdom on Feb 19th, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Feb 10, 2005
782 posts
124 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just in case. Have you tried a fully charged genuine Canon battery ? I found using the after market battery would slow down the focusing speed on a Sigma 150-600, my keep rate is way up when I switch back to Canon battery. I think T2i battery / camera system is different.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14389 posts
4955 upvotes
London
So an update.

Lens works just fine in flash if I shoot in auto. It is only manual modes that give me an issue. Happens at all focal ranges too
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2417 posts
988 upvotes
Toronto
What's the error message that you see on the screen?

It doesn't make sense that it works on auto but you're getting an error message when in manual mode.

I don't remember how it works in manual mode but the flash may not pop up by itself when in manual mode (which means the flash is turned off and won't fire). Did you press the button on the left of the flash to force it to pop up? I think it has the lightning bolt picture.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14389 posts
4955 upvotes
London
It's err 01 which as far as I can tell is just a general lens communication error. Fixes online say to wipe don
Wn the contacts, but that doesnt work.

I have manly opened the flash in all test cases
Last edited by Viper98 on Feb 20th, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2417 posts
988 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have a friend who has some other Canon camera that you could try (that is not a T2i, T3i, etc)? Or maybe walk into a camera store like Henry's to see if they have a spare body that you could try the lens on. Or maybe somebody at Henry's might have an answer.

Edit: I did a Google search for Error 02 and it says it's a memory card error. Not a lens error. Try taking the memory card out, formatting it, pop out the battery, and then put it back in. See if that helps. Or was that a typo and you meant you are seeing Error 01?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14389 posts
4955 upvotes
London
ds2chan wrote: Do you have a friend who has some other Canon camera that you could try (that is not a T2i, T3i, etc)? Or maybe walk into a camera store like Henry's to see if they have a spare body that you could try the lens on. Or maybe somebody at Henry's might have an answer.

Edit: I did a Google search for Error 02 and it says it's a memory card error. Not a lens error. Try taking the memory card out, formatting it, pop out the battery, and then put it back in. See if that helps. Or was that a typo and you meant you are seeing Error 01?
Yep I definitely meant err 01