• Jul 9th, 2017 5:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 20, 2006
436 posts
145 upvotes

Lenscrafters canada - good or bad??

Has anyone had any experience with lenscrafters? How are the quality of their frames and lenses?
When I searched online, there are plenty of bad reviews but most of them are US stores.
I would appreciate some feedback from you guys
Thanks
40 replies
Jun 26, 2008
165 posts
et3rn1ty wrote: Has anyone had any experience with lenscrafters? How are the quality of their frames and lenses?
When I searched online, there are plenty of bad reviews but most of them are US stores.
I would appreciate some feedback from you guys
Thanks
That's funny.. I just did a search on them too and noticed the same thing.

I have been using Lenscrafters for a long time, maybe about 10 years or so (I don't purchase glasses too often though). It's a bit pricey, but the quality is pretty good...

On a bit of a side note, I was searching Lenscrafters because I wanted to know if they replace lenses... my lenses right now are a bit too weak for me now, but I don't want to purchase new frames. Anyone know about this?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19443 posts
4056 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I've gone into LensCrafters a couple of times and I was knocked off my feet by their very expensive prices.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Feb 4, 2007
931 posts
7 upvotes
Very expensive and when I came back to cancel order, they offered a "discount" for people without insurance...WTF. You're better off going to Costco or even better, online.
Mar 9, 2004
170 posts
34 upvotes
houng wrote: On a bit of a side note, I was searching Lenscrafters because I wanted to know if they replace lenses... my lenses right now are a bit too weak for me now, but I don't want to purchase new frames. Anyone know about this?
Any optical store should be able to replace lenses on an existing frame.
Jul 14, 2009
215 posts
72 upvotes
Well depends on "what" ur looking for.

I've been purchasing glasses and contact almost every 6 months for the past 10-12 year (I'm scared of Lasik surgery! lol).

I purchase my everyday frames from pacific mall for very cheap but I buy my "special occasions" frames from Lenscrafters.

The quality of the lens that u order from lenscrafters or anywhere else is ONLY dependent on how you use them. If u order plastic with coating, the coating's from lenscrafter is "more" durable than the ones I purchase from pacific mall but then the price difference is ... (... means not worthed for "me"). Also since I wash my glasses with soap that kills the coating anyways, so I'd rather get the cheaper lenses.

I only recommend lenscrafters if u use ur glasses occasionaly and you think u don't want to change it for the next 5 years. Otherwise I recommend working with other opticals.
Oct 15, 2007
852 posts
73 upvotes
My understanding (& others will correct if I"m wrong) is Lenscrafters is a manufacturer as well as a retailer; as a result, their profit margin is big on the lens part. If you want lens from Nikon or Essilor or other high end lens brands, you'll have to go elsewhere.
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11316 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
Tacoma wrote: My understanding (& others will correct if I"m wrong) is Lenscrafters is a manufacturer as well as a retailer; as a result, their profit margin is big on the lens part. If you want lens from Nikon or Essilor or other high end lens brands, you'll have to go elsewhere.
Lenscrafters does sell other brands of lenses, like the ones you cite. But like the Lenscrafters ones, they cost a fortune.

But I've always had quality stuff from there. They get my insurance $$$, then clearlycontacts gets the rest.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7096 posts
1862 upvotes
T dot 6
They are overpriced, but I have bought from then once because they had a set of frames I really liked.

Basically I go to a bunch of stores and buy the pair of frames I like the most. Fit and look is more important then price (within reason) when it comes to frames for me.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
[OP]
Feb 20, 2006
436 posts
145 upvotes
I actually went to a local lenscrafters yesterday and asked about their pricing on lenses.
I was quoted $300+ for high index lenses and an even higher price for the higher index. I think it was around $600. I don't remember exactly the index number.
The frames that I like are mostly 300+ but I don't know if I want to spend like 600+ total.
Feb 8, 2008
285 posts
1 upvote
Your Eyes can have it all at Hakim Optical!

I go there and the prices are reasonable.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
2 weeks ago:

1. got eyes tested
2. went to Lenscrafters, got a quote for just under $600
3. asked for CAA discount, got quote for $369 for 1 pair of glasses
4. went to Pearle Vision, was ignored for 15 mins and left
5. went to Walmart, was quoted $369 as straight price, no discount
6. went to Hakim, got 2 pairs for $369!!

Coincidence in the price? I don't know ... but none of the above wanted to sell me lenses without new frames. Like "we won't have the parts if it breaks", "the frame is already weak", "the discounts/promotions are only for frame plus lenses", "we will charge you the same for using your old frames".

Odd since I bought my frames from Lenscrafters and Hakim previously! I found Lenscrafters at Fairview and STC really arrogant, but Hakim very helpful.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)