Lenscrafters canada - good or bad??

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2017 5:11 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 4, 2008
513 posts
838 upvotes
I have purchased from LensCrafters several times, same results as everyone else; pretty expensive for frames that are really nothing special.

My wife and I both wear glasses and we buy online from Goggles4u now. Frames and lens for $30 a pair works way better than $400 for one pair in-store. If you don't care about brand names frames, I think this is the way to go. There is another website, Zenni Optical that I am going to order from this weekend as well.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2006
436 posts
145 upvotes
I decided to buy my glasses somewhere else.
At the end, I find that the price at lenscrafters are unjustifiable. There was another optical in the mall that I went to that had a clearance sale, half off for frames and lenses. Got myself a pair of designer frame and essilor 1.67 lenses for 379 total and my company insurance will pay me back 300 so it's not a bad deal i guess
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
19 upvotes
cooolway wrote: Your Eyes can have it all at Hakim Optical!

I go there and the prices are reasonable.
I have to agree with those who "slam" Hakim's. Many years ago, fed up with the ridiculously high pricesfor eyeglasses, I started buying mine at Hakims. The price was better, and the after sale service was good. But then I noticed a gradual change. The quality of the frames and lenses I got was poor.
Metal frames quickly corroded. Lenses, in spite of "anti-scratch" coatings, quickly became scratched!
And whereas previously, if there was a problem - bent frame, loose screw, lens came out - they would fix it free, suddenly it was a $5 charge just to tighten a loose screw on the frame hinge!
For personal reasons, I went several years without getting new glasses. My Hakim glasses literally fell apart, and I was left using one pair - ten year old computer glasses purchased from the Bay optical.
No anti scratch coating. Yet, despite years of daily use, they haven't scratched! Looking at the lens fit in the frames, it reflects excellent workmanship, compared to the Hakim crude and roughly ground edges of lens, poorly fitted into the frames, and prone to falling out!
Oh, and did I mention the huge sign at my local Hakim's - "Glasses in ONE HOUR"? Barefaced LIARS!
They even have an old lens grinding machine on display in the premises to support that fake claim!
I have NEVER gotten glasses there in less than a WEEK! They DON'T gbrind lenses on the premises. And, as I mentioned, judging by the durability of their lenses, they must use real crap plastic for their lens material!
Personally, I think you are MUCH better off buying eyeglasses at Sears or the Bay when they have
a 2pairs for price of one sale, or a free frames sale. I haven't tried the online services - given my Hakim experience, I suspec t it will also be cheap frames, cheap, cheap, crappy lenses, although I could be wrong.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16565 posts
2283 upvotes
mefromparadise wrote:
The quality of the lens that u order from lenscrafters or anywhere else is ONLY dependent on how you use them. If u order plastic with coating, the coating's from lenscrafter is "more" durable than the ones I purchase from pacific mall but then the price difference is ...
Ask the store where they source their lenses from - if they're willing to give you a brand name, then it's a decent lens.

If you're still skeptical, you can always order Nikon lenses, consistent quality, but $$$.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
2051 posts
755 upvotes
For anyone living in London Ontario, avoiding the Lenscrafters in White Oaks Mall would be a wise decision. The owners incredibly rude and obnoxious, and gave me the impression that he just wanted to get the order over with and collect his cash. I was going to buy frames from there, and the man pulled the display copy off the shelve and tried to sell them to me. I politely asked if they had anymore in the back, and the owner got ridiculously defensive and said that he couldn't order 100 copies of every frame and keep them in the back. I guess he was trying to make me think my question was stupid? Anyways my bull**** tolerance is low so I whipped back at the idiot. I ended up leaving and went to the Masonville store instead. Never encountered the owner there but my experience there was much much better. I just hope the greedy SOB doesn't own both the establishments.
Mar 5, 2007
319 posts
2 upvotes
Lenscrafters eyeglasses are way over priced. Customer service is okay, but not worth the price you pay.

If you like to waste money and over pay, Lenscrafters is the place for you :-0
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1708 posts
743 upvotes
et3rn1ty wrote: Has anyone had any experience with lenscrafters? How are the quality of their frames and lenses?
When I searched online, there are plenty of bad reviews but most of them are US stores.
I would appreciate some feedback from you guys
Thanks
The Lenscrafters in Mapleview Mall, Burlington, ONTARIO is excellent.
YES expensive. but you get what you pay for

Just DON'T go to 3-4-1 Glasses
They do not have LIC. Optometrists
and are going through Court Proceedings
as the OWNER of all of these stores is the ONLY ONE LICENSED to write a prescription.......GOOF!
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5227 posts
1460 upvotes
Toronto
I went once, and got a quote for the frame alone to be $400. Then they asked my prescription and quoted $500 for lenses. Then I walked out of the store.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5227 posts
1460 upvotes
Toronto
Oh, and EVERY optical store won't want to put lenses into your own frame, because they want to sell you the frame. So they will find every excuse not to do it for you. The fact is that OF COURSE they can do it for you, it's putting a lens into a frame, whether the frame is new or old! But...... they will want to charge you the same for just lenses, or charge you almost the same, or just try to convince you not to do that.

But I bought a frame off the internet and went to an optical store and they put lenses in for $160 (which isn't bad, lenses + frame would be in the $300 area).. So ask what they charge for lenses only!
Mar 5, 2007
319 posts
2 upvotes
NoFixedAddress wrote: The Lenscrafters in Mapleview Mall, Burlington, ONTARIO is excellent.
YES expensive. but you get what you pay for

Just DON'T go to 3-4-1 Glasses
They do not have LIC. Optometrists
and are going through Court Proceedings
as the OWNER of all of these stores is the ONLY ONE LICENSED to write a prescription.......GOOF!

Lenscrafters is famous for upselling in the industry, which is a deceptive form of marketing.

341 is a joke unto themselves. Whoever wants to buy from them is only interested in junk.
Nov 8, 2009
12 posts
Lenscrafters has fast turnarounds. Hakim has good prices.
/2 cents
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7399 posts
501 upvotes
Vancouver
Super, super expensive. Good quality, but absolutely insane prices even when they're on sale. Not to mention they spam you forever after you buy it. I keep getting "coupons" =/
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16576 posts
6703 upvotes
I went to Superstore for my classes - it came to $188 with Crizal coating. So far they are holding very well.
Mar 4, 2010
2 posts
1 upvote
We are currently having a very difficult time with Lenscrafters. My husband needs an emergency pair of glasses ASAP, in a new prescription (per the opthamologist). We went to Lenscrafters because they claim to have fast turnaround. He has a strong precription. They keep breaking the lens (or say they say) in the grinding. Time is going on and on with no glasses and meanwhile the situation is becoming more and more critical for my husband. Lenscrafters does not care at all about the urgency, even though we made it clear when we ordered them, offering to pay extra for a faster turnaround time, or pay for faster shipping...anything. "It will be at least ten more days, " they said today. :mad:

Do yourself a favour-go somewhere else! Anywhere else.
Feb 24, 2013
1 posts
We have bought 3 pair of glasses at Lenscrafters over 3 years. Price was not bad but quality is terrible. The coating on my wife's galsses wore off over a period of just over 2 years. The other pair is fine.
I have glasses from other suppliers where the coating has lasted 15 years ++.
Lenscrafters offered 40% off a new pair.
I believe that, for a manufacturing defect, they should replace for free.
Totally unsatisfactory.