Shopping Discussion

Lenscrafters canada - good or bad??

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2017 5:11 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 13, 2013
1 posts
et3rn1ty wrote: Has anyone had any experience with lenscrafters? How are the quality of their frames and lenses?
When I searched online, there are plenty of bad reviews but most of them are US stores.
I would appreciate some feedback from you guys
Thanks

I would STRONGLY recommend not to buy at "Lenscrafters"

Because they have this shady business practices - they mark all their lenses at twice the regular price. Then they give you 50% OFF on lenses if you buy the frames from them. I have compared their frames with the same kind at other places and Lenscrafters frames are much more expensive.

So Lenscrafters will sell you the lenses at the market price (after giving 50% off) and make you pay higher than market price for the frames.

I have compared the prices between Lenscrafters and Laurier Opticals for the same prescription and found this this shady business practice of Lenscrafters.

Bottom line: DON'T BUY AT Lenscrafters unless you compare the price else where.
Mar 22, 2010
626 posts
165 upvotes
toronto
Yeah, Luxxotica has quite a monopoly going on and are a huge culprit of overpriced glasses, which likely take only a few dollars to make.

I was actually pleasantly surprised on my first visit to Lenscrafters. Like all people here I did have the impression that they are expensive but they were nearby and had a gorgeous pair of Oakley sunglasses I was looking for and ClearlyContacts does not carry Oakley almost at all (they are also extremely limited for prescription sunglasses and do not even have Ray-Ban prescriptions shades!). The Lenscrafter rep informed me that they have a special on prescription tint lenses for $80 or $120 for the polarized version (Clearlycontacts is $20 cheaper for polarized). But for legal reasons they cannot apply their specials to Oakley's so those ones would end up costing me around $700 (the lens would basically be as much as the frames). No freaking way. I find it bizzare that Oakley handcuffs its retailers not only on the price of the frame (which is kind of understandable seeing as how they wish to maintain a luxury image) but also on the price of the lens. Its also funny how Ray-Ban does not require this and both are owned by Luxxotica

I settled for a sleek pair of polarized Ray-Bans instead. The frames were reasonably priced for $190 and in the US the cheapest I could find them online was for $140 here in Canada it was $179, so not a large price difference. I also got my glasses thoroughly cleaned by a sonic cleaner for free, while I consulted. I was also surprised that they disclosed my PD measurement, which many optical stores refuse to do because they don't wan't you shopping online. Their $15 one year replacement plan were you can get your glasses repaired or replaced to a totally new frame when broken (even when its your fault) is worth considering. So it seems that perhaps due to increased online competition Lenscrafters may have adjusted their prices or perhaps I was just fortunate with the special. Either way, I left pretty satisfied.

But in most cases my advice when shopping for eye wear is to go into an optical store, find the frame that suits you, note the model number and compare online. Most of the time, you will be able to save considerable money and the stores do typically offer very long return policies.
Jun 14, 2016
1 posts
Is there a place in London that give you glases that you can read well.with..is the reason we get them in the first place.do much incompetence..in our so called progressive world..big joke..with their upgraded machines still dont do a good job..Ave to lift my bifocals up constantly to see the best..
Jul 8, 2017
2 posts
Lenscrafters is way too expensive and dishonest.
1) The company jack up the frames price the offer discount even if after hard bargain.
2) Lens cost also rediculous high. $380.00 for basic photochromatic lens that price after 40% off with bull of brand name. I shop around same lens for 250.00. Even cheaper if shop online.
High index lens 1.6 thicknest also expensive at above 300.00 after 40% discount. Even the cheapest polycorbon 1.67 cost around 280.00 after 40% off. Shop around found many optical stores sold far less of that price plus cost much less if online.

3) Dishonest. Their computer system purposely lost the nearest history to avoid guarantee. My child purchase glasses at lenscrafters 2014, 2015, 2016.
Every yr gone back, they has an excuse could find the nearst record due to computer glitch. We gone back this yr, look at the record, totally wipe except 2014. That means, no receipt, you couldn't get your insured replacement lens if scratch for free, which lenscrafters stated any stores nationwide will honor that contract. Even you're in US. Common, who would carry that piece of paper around everywhere they go, even if keep it in box, it would have torn and ripped. Very dishonest Lenscrafter.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
LensCrafters is owned by luxxottica I believe who has a massive monopoly on the eyewear industry. Their prices are absolutely ridiculous. I go there to find my style and then give my business to the many online shops who actually believe that offering good prices shouldn't be a rarity.

Don't reward lenscrafter's greed. Clearly contacts is awesome and their service is spectacular.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4313 posts
1841 upvotes
theguru wrote: LensCrafters is owned by luxxottica I believe who has a massive monopoly on the eyewear industry. Their prices are absolutely ridiculous. I go there to find my style and then give my business to the many online shops who actually believe that offering good prices shouldn't be a rarity.

Don't reward lenscrafter's greed. Clearly contacts is awesome and their service is spectacular.
Except Clearly.ca is creeping up there in terms of price ever since being bought by Essilor. Overseas Chinese sites like Zenni are becoming to the go-to.
Aug 16, 2015
351 posts
107 upvotes
Ajax, ON
I've bought from them a few times didn't like their quality or service.
Apr 1, 2015
360 posts
114 upvotes
Oakville
Bought from them once several years ago. I felt I got fleeced considering the price of which I get brand name frames at other eye glasses retailers afterwards. If you're unwilling to shop around then a place like lenscrafters is eventually where you'll end up. They're convenient because they'll all over the place. I learned my lesson from that experience
May 1, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
My experience with Lenscrafters was when I bought a clip-on sunglasses, that have the spring in the middle top, and 4 plastic tabs to hold on to the frame. Within a week, after paying $50 for them, one of the tabs broke off. They did not offer any type of compensation or warranty. I have since avoided them like the plague. I have used Costco for glasses and frames, Just to make a note, You do NOT have to be a Costco member to use the pharmacy, audiologist or the eyewear departments, as they are medical? and the government took away the incentives to use one pharmacy over another when they took the points system away.