[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
61 posts
14 upvotes
Etobicoke

Lenses for Glasses

Hello,

I need to change my glasses and I'm currently shopping for which stores (lenscraft/hakim optical/costco) I should go to and etc. I need both sunglasses and normal prescription glasses (single vision).

For the longest time I've been going to lenscraft and usually getting both around $600 - $800. Back then I had insurance and I really didn't pay much upfront. Now, I have no insurance and I'm just looking at shopping for lenses. Lenscraft quoted me like $700 if I bring in my own frames which is a rip off.

My own issue is I don't mind paying $200 - $300 per a single lenses but I never shopped outside of Lenscraft and I really don't know the difference between lenses material. I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

Anyways, anyone have any good independent store they go to for some good lenses ? I've been hearing good thing about Costco but haven't really check it out and from what I read, it super cheap. Keep in mind, I would prefer I would like have all the features that Lenscraft were able to offer. Now, I now it's a marketing scheme so bare with me.

Thanks in advance.
26 replies
Dec 12, 2005
516 posts
87 upvotes
Richmond
Where are you located?
Dec 12, 2005
516 posts
87 upvotes
Richmond
From my experience, try looking for a mom and pop type store, no fancy dressed up people and avoid the chain.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1480 posts
188 upvotes
Costco uses essilor (crizal) which are supposed to be better quality, but I have no idea if that’s actually true or not.

Nevertheless, essilor should be on par if not better than whatever LensCrafter uses.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4074 posts
2345 upvotes
Gotham
fq007 wrote: Costco uses essilor (crizal) which are supposed to be better quality, but I have no idea if that’s actually true or not.

Nevertheless, essilor should be on par if not better than whatever LensCrafter uses.
It's all a giant conglomerate. LensCrafters is part of Luxottica Group, which is part of Essilor Luxottica. It's probably the same lenses.

From my limited eyeglass shopping experience, I only know of four lens manufacturers, Essilor, Zeiss, Nikon and Polaroid. I use Nikon lenses in my reading glasses because that is the brand my optometrist used. They weren't cheap but I liked the lenses a lot. I tried reading glasses from clearly.ca (use Polaroid lenses) and they weren't the same as the Nikon lenses and I returned them and went back to the local optometrist and got the same Nikon lenses.

OP, try clearly.ca, the service was good and the price was very good. They didn't work for me, but they may work for you.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
61 posts
14 upvotes
Etobicoke
Yup, thank you. Went on the Essilor website and looked up all the distributors for that brand. Found a couple of good places and got quotes.

It's pretty much what I expected in terms of pricing,
Sep 7, 2010
72 posts
23 upvotes
T.Dot
Been wearing glasses for nearly 40 years and the choices nowadays are insane. Costco is great for contacts but I've never purchased glasses there bc they are quite limited on frame selection. I'm sure quality is fine though, I mean....it's Costco right?

Never purchased from Lenscrafters and I'd stay away from them. Some of those sales people don't know jack - I've got 40 years of experience and a lot more healthcare knowledge than some of them.

I've gone to First Markham Place for many, many years bc there are a lot of vendors (some are sister companies) with plenty of frame choices available at really competitive prices. High index lenses with Oakley frames will run you about 5-600.

iHibachi wrote: Hello,

I need to change my glasses and I'm currently shopping for which stores (lenscraft/hakim optical/costco) I should go to and etc. I need both sunglasses and normal prescription glasses (single vision).

For the longest time I've been going to lenscraft and usually getting both around $600 - $800. Back then I had insurance and I really didn't pay much upfront. Now, I have no insurance and I'm just looking at shopping for lenses. Lenscraft quoted me like $700 if I bring in my own frames which is a rip off.

My own issue is I don't mind paying $200 - $300 per a single lenses but I never shopped outside of Lenscraft and I really don't know the difference between lenses material. I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

Anyways, anyone have any good independent store they go to for some good lenses ? I've been hearing good thing about Costco but haven't really check it out and from what I read, it super cheap. Keep in mind, I would prefer I would like have all the features that Lenscraft were able to offer. Now, I now it's a marketing scheme so bare with me.

Thanks in advance.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16040 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
A low cost option is Dresden optical
They make all their own frames in Australia.
The frames are actually very good, if you don't mind plastic instead of metal.
3 locations in Toronto, one on College street, another in Riverdale and the third one located near Union subway station.
Dresden optical: https://www.blogto.com/fashion/dresden-optics-toronto/
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11341 posts
7649 upvotes
Edmonton
Costco was cheaper by a significant amount compared to other places I priced things out at. Even with progressive trifocal lenses, I think I paid $200 for the lenses. Not sure if you can bring in frames from other places. And I got a pair of Serengeti driving glasses with progressive lenses as well, for the same price. And let me tell you... Progressive sunglass lenses are a game-changer! No more taking off your sunglasses to read a text, and you can read a book at the beach properly. Much better than my single vision Oakley glasses.

C
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1640 posts
653 upvotes
I just got my lenses replaced at pearl vision at Cloverdale mall. $272 all in, anti scratch lenses. I had frames from there before so they installed them into the frames... Fyi my frames are about 8 yrs old and not sure what the charge is for bringing frames from another company.
Alex
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1140 posts
1535 upvotes
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1583 posts
1160 upvotes
GTA West
iHibachi wrote: Hello,

Thanks in advance.
I have been using Costco for years. Single Vision lenses are $89 and the basic Kirkland progressives are $150 per pair. They have a more expensive progressive but I see best with their basic one. Add the cost of the frame to get your total price, they tend to be in the $89 - $129 range. There is usually a $50 discount if you get 2 pairs.

I find that at these price points, the frames are not always the same quality as some of the premium brands like Silhouette that you will see at the chains. And the frames and sizes are limited to what you see on the rack. You may have to check every time you go to Costco to see the new arrivals until you see frames you like. Also, I was not happy with my current glasses because the lens coating did not seem to be very good - I have scratches I would not expect and they smudge really easily. COVID has prevented me from going back to complain.

But when you can get 3 pairs for the price of 1 at the mall stores, I will stick with Costco. The opticians are usually very good and they have been good on warranty matters. I usually have 2 - 3 pairs on the go to optimize my vision in different situations - driving, computer, and all purpose.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1583 posts
1160 upvotes
GTA West
CNeufeld wrote: Costco was cheaper by a significant amount compared to other places I priced things out at. Even with progressive trifocal lenses, I think I paid $200 for the lenses. Not sure if you can bring in frames from other places. And I got a pair of Serengeti driving glasses with progressive lenses as well, for the same price. And let me tell you... Progressive sunglass lenses are a game-changer! No more taking off your sunglasses to read a text, and you can read a book at the beach properly. Much better than my single vision Oakley glasses.
No you can't.
Oct 3, 2017
642 posts
473 upvotes
I got my single vision polarized sunglasses using the $50 off with my progressive purchase and they have been great.