• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2018 1:32 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27310 upvotes

Leon's, The Brick To Pay Up Over Allegedly Deceptive 'Buy Now, Pay Later' Deals

The Competition Bureau says it has reached an agreement with Leon's Furniture Ltd. and the Brick Ltd. regarding allegations of deceptive marketing practices.

As part of the settlement, Leon's and the Brick have agreed to each donate $750,000 worth of home furnishings over two years to charities to be approved by the regulator.

The regulator alleged in July 2013 that the retailers' "buy now, pay later" promotions, often resulted in customers paying more than advertised and should be stopped.
The additional costs ranged from processing or administrative fees, delivery fees and taxes.

The companies have also agreed to adhere to the bureau's guidance on the proper use of disclaimers in advertising and the disclosure of fees associated with their financing plans.

Leon's Furniture Ltd. owns both the Leon's and the Brick banners.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/02/20 ... a-homepage
7 replies
Nov 25, 2015
317 posts
527 upvotes
the Wet Coast
BK2006 wrote:
As part of the settlement, Leon's and the Brick have agreed to each donate $750,000 worth of home furnishings over two years to charities to be approved by the regulator.
I hope that's not 750K at Brick retail prices. That's not gonna buy too many mattresses.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2092 posts
1476 upvotes
Hamilton
I can't ever believe these two could be "deceptive,". No way.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16842 posts
3999 upvotes
Toronto
Leon's bought the brick a while back, so it's no surprise that they are both sailing in the same boat of trouble. lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Sep 8, 2006
931 posts
577 upvotes
Edmonton
The admin fees, etc. are laid out and the customer is told of them so what is the issue? Rather than getting a discount you are getting a interest free loan for a period of time. The customer can always not sign the final invoice and walk away from the deal.
Sep 1, 2015
150 posts
67 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
I don't know why people still buy furnitures from a store has same return policy as dollarama