• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 5:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 4, 2021
4 posts
7 upvotes

Leon's: Year-long wait for TV

I purchased a Hisense TV on the Leon's website December 14th, 2019. The website indicated the TV would be available for pickup within two weeks.
Well here we are, 418 days after I placed the order and still no TV.
Having had enough with their utter incompetence I called to get a refund but was informed that since the TV in question was considered a special order, I was not allowed to cancel the order or apply for a refund.

Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

Phaznet
23 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2534 posts
1319 upvotes
London
Kiraly wrote: Who does Leon’s think it is? Air Canada? File a chargeback with your credit card. A year of holding your money and not delivering is way past what is reasonable.
at this point i believe he waited to long most cc only give between 90 and 180 days to dispute something. even paypal only gives 180 days and even with there side with the customer attitude they are very strict about that 180 rule after that they tell u to bad.

his best bet would be to get the store manger on the phone and demand a refund or a dif tv that is in stock.

u could also try ellenroseman868@gmail.com she use to work at a newspaper as a customer advocate she retired but is still doing an online blog and helping customers
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3085 posts
3041 upvotes
GTA
Is it still on Leon's website? You should check if that model is even available any more, because most likely it's been replaced with a new model and is probably sold out everywhere. I doubt Leon's will be able to get that TV any longer. So even if it's a special order and normally can't be canceled they should cancel it since they will never be able to fulfil the order. Talk to the manager and not just some CSR spewing company policy.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4314 upvotes
You sure have a lot more patience than me. How special/rare is this TV that you were willing to wait that long? If I want a TV I expect to either take it out of the store myself the day I buy it, or have it delivered a few days later. Not weeks, not months, DAYS. If the store can't do that I'll go somewhere else and pick another TV. It's not like Leon's nor HiSense is the only game in town for electronics... It's not like you're buying an exotic car to be built to order overseas....

Follow @aaron158 and @tew 's advice first and if you get more runaround (meaning, if you don't have a refund nor a TV within days), contact Pat Foran at CTV News Toronto's Consumer Alert. As soon as he shows up at Leon's head office with his camera crew (hell, he'll probably just have a phone conversation with a VP to settle it) they will back down and refund all your money since your case is pretty cut and dry. Leon's won't want to be shamed on TV. If this guy can make telecoms, airlines, and car manufacturers back down, Leon's is nothing.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/more/bios/pat-foran-1.282277
[OP]
Feb 4, 2021
4 posts
7 upvotes
Thanks for the replies!

One of the reasons I waited so long is because they kept assuring me the order would be on the next truck.
I'll give the store another call and will ask to speak to the manager. If the issue is still not resolved I will contact Pat Foran or Ellen Roseman.

Thanks again everyone :)
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1217 posts
730 upvotes
AB
Waiting that long was a mistake… 60days tops I would be demanding an upgraded and partial refund or something… even that is unreasonable of a time to wait.

By waiting a year you missed your chargeback opportunity with the credit cards, and now don’t have a tonne of leverage.

Good luck friend
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2754 posts
2032 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: There’s also small claims court. You’ll get your refund PDQ if you threaten to go down that route.
Until you actually file papers and they get them they're not going to care, they probably hear that threat 20 times a day.
Aug 30, 2020
654 posts
1002 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
A year? Should have done CC chargeback after a month, 2 months max. After a year that exact model is discounted, or you can get a better model for the same price. No one to blame but yourself.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3850 posts
2402 upvotes
Vancouver
Can’t believe you waited that long. Maybe try social media since they do have 20k followers, so they probably don’t want any bad PR.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18649 posts
6706 upvotes
Toronto
Wow 1 year? I would have been all over this after 1 month. Get the media involved.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4741 posts
1254 upvotes
Wat
You guys actually believe this happened? I call bs.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11680 posts
8142 upvotes
GTA, ON
Wiseman wrote: You guys actually believe this happened? I call bs.
Newbie account, so could be BS trolling. But if true :facepalm:

OP, did you call HO or just the store?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 8, 2009
566 posts
555 upvotes
Wiseman wrote: You guys actually believe this happened? I call bs.
I was actually kind of thinking this, but would like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I just can't see someone waiting that long for a TV unless it was some sort of crazy price error and they got the TV for $5 or something.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2021
4 posts
7 upvotes
Thanks again for all the replies.

To provide more background:

I originally ordered a Hisense H8F (H8809 for the Canadian Market) before the pandemic, on December 14, 2019.
I called the day it was to arrive at the store and was told they still hadn't received it. Hopefully, they said, it will be on the next truck.
A number of weeks go by and I call the store again and was told TV was sitting at a port in Vancouver, but was being held up by the CN rail blockade.
A few weeks later the pandemic begins.
I call the store again. They indicated the TV was no longer available and they ordered the replacement model, the Hisense Q8G (Q8809 for the Canadian Market).
Weeks later I call them again and they assure me the TV is in a warehouse in Toronto (about 3 hours from where I reside) and that they would be receiving it within a few weeks.

Everyone is absolutely right, I shouldn't have let this fiasco go on for as long as I did. In my mind, I believed I was purchasing from a well-established retailer. Secondly, I was receiving a TV that was significantly more expensive at no charge to me.
Considering everything that happened in 2020 I wanted to give Leon's the benefit of the doubt. I was wrong.
OP, did you call HO or just the store?
I've called both. HO tells me the matter is beyond their control because the store in question is a franchise, not corporate (if that makes sense).
Nov 5, 2018
312 posts
258 upvotes
phaznet wrote: Thanks again for all the replies.

To provide more background:

I originally ordered a Hisense H8F (H8809 for the Canadian Market) before the pandemic, on December 14, 2019.
I called the day it was to arrive at the store and was told they still hadn't received it. Hopefully, they said, it will be on the next truck.
A number of weeks go by and I call the store again and was told TV was sitting at a port in Vancouver, but was being held up by the CN rail blockade.
A few weeks later the pandemic begins.
I call the store again. They indicated the TV was no longer available and they ordered the replacement model, the Hisense Q8G (Q8809 for the Canadian Market).
Weeks later I call them again and they assure me the TV is in a warehouse in Toronto (about 3 hours from where I reside) and that they would be receiving it within a few weeks.

Everyone is absolutely right, I shouldn't have let this fiasco go on for as long as I did. In my mind, I believed I was purchasing from a well-established retailer. Secondly, I was receiving a TV that was significantly more expensive at no charge to me.
Considering everything that happened in 2020 I wanted to give Leon's the benefit of the doubt. I was wrong.

I've called both. HO tells me the matter is beyond their control because the store in question is a franchise, not corporate (if that makes sense).
As soon as I read "Toronto (about 3 hours from where I reside" I thought "franchise!" I don't know where you are, but I know the store in North Bay is one, with totally separate order systems from corporate stores.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5477 posts
2287 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote: at this point i believe he waited to long most cc only give between 90 and 180 days to dispute something. even paypal only gives 180 days and even with there side with the customer attitude they are very strict about that 180 rule after that they tell u to bad.
Amex has no limit, I believe. It's worth a try.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4741 posts
1254 upvotes
Wat
The only way I believe this is true is if OP fell into a coma for 12 months and just woke up.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3085 posts
3041 upvotes
GTA
Wiseman wrote: The only way I believe this is true is if OP fell into a coma for 12 months and just woke up.
OP was promised the new model at no additional charge so I can see why he was willing to wait but 418 days is ridiculous. I think next month the new models will be in stores making the one the OP is getting the old and soon to be unavailable model.